Expensive or Cheap Crisis? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expensive or Cheap Crisis?

I was playing around with Army Builder, when I wondered: Which would be better; fewer, more expensive Suits, or more, cheaper Suits? For the price of one 'pimped out' Shas'O (PR, FB, C&CN, HM MT, SI, HW DC, 2 Shield Drones) at 162 Points, I could almost have two cheap Shas'Els (PR, FB, TA, HW MT) at 92 Points each.
    Now Normal Crisis Suits: 125 Points for a Shas'Vre (Shas'Vre, CIB, PR, TA, HW MT, HW DC, SI, 2 Sheild Drones), or 77 Points for a Shas'Ui (TL, PR, MP, TA, HW MT) that accomplished about the same thing.

I'm thinking; while 1:1 the more expensive will hit more and possibly survive longer, numbers will usually do better (two Shas'Els to one Shas'O; three Shas'Uis to two Shas'Vres).

So I ask: do you guys use fewer expensive, or more cheaper Suits? Which would you think would be more effective?

Hope this made sense, and thanks in advance!

5+ \ 0 \ 0 - 3'000+ Pts - Dal'yth Sept

0 \ 0 \ 0 - Work In Progress - Hive Fleet Hammerhead

0 \ 0 \ 0 - WIP

Victory \ Draw \ Defeat

Credit to Legionnaire for the bars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

I don't play tau, but my friend who does usually takes 2 or three cheap shas'els which you mentioned are 92 points each.

But I think it all depends on what else is in your army. What else do you expect to use in your list. Do you play mech, hybird, static? It all depends. My friend plays differently all the time so he varies what he uses as well.

His suits always seem to be effective against me(chaos). But I've never really tried to counter him all that well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

I used to run a pimped out 1 pimped out O' until I found out more about the IC, The El' you listed is actually 97 points, I have now turned to 2 El' the same setup, The great thing is for the same price you get either, a Helios or a Fireknife El'. The IC suits are more survivable then any pimped out crisis w/bodyguard. Your el' will hit just as often as an o' with less survivablity in CC which you dont want anyway. You will never want to be in CC, Even if you just need a few more wounds to kill the enemy NEVER get into CC.
    My upcoming blog in the works:
    http://plasticrackminis.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sometimes a pimped out shas'o makes a huge fire magnet that can survive. sheild generator and stiminjector makes 2 4+ inv saves that can both be taken in one save. also i have had my shas'o tie up a autarch on a jet bike for 4 turns in CC that would have torn through my units, it all depends on who you tie up in CC, single low strength characters are perfect to assult
    The Aun's servant

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I don't know about "pimped" but I take two Shas'Os

Shas'O
    Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster and Hardwired Multitracker.

Two of these at 120+pts do me just fine. Gives me the ability to fight against most opponents.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal_Carrot View Post
    I was playing around with Army Builder, when I wondered: Which would be better; fewer, more expensive Suits, or more, cheaper Suits? For the price of one 'pimped out' Shas'O (PR, FB, C&CN, HM MT, SI, HW DC, 2 Shield Drones) at 162 Points, I could almost have two cheap Shas'Els (PR, FB, TA, HW MT) at 92 Points each.
    well they work at at 97 points and have BS5. best thing i ever did was stop trying to make that supertau commander. it just doesn't work. maybe if he could have a power weapon it might work (ala farsight) but you have nothing to back him up.

i would rather run cheap shas'el with TA and use IC status. better than ANY sheild drone by miles.

also i'd rather run a team of 3 basic deathrains and a team if three xv8's with tl plasma rilfles than a squad with a million sheild drones and loads of fancy weapon options.

keep it simple and you can't go wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by xsickpeoplex View Post
    well they work at at 97 points and have BS5. best thing i ever did was stop trying to make that supertau commander. it just doesn't work. maybe if he could have a power weapon it might work (ala farsight) but you have nothing to back him up.

i would rather run cheap shas'el with TA and use IC status. better than ANY sheild drone by miles.

also i'd rather run a team of 3 basic deathrains and a team if three xv8's with tl plasma rilfles than a squad with a million sheild drones and loads of fancy weapon options.

keep it simple and you can't go wrong.
    this, my dear people, is the right answer. use it wisely...

i use a Shas'el with PR, CIB, MT and TA, which comes up to 100 pts on the dot, plus i wanted to try out the CIB (looks soo cool 8Y).
    i back him up with a simple squad of 2 crisis with Fire Knives, never fails.

-Kai-Itza-

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by the aun's servant View Post
    sometimes a pimped out shas'o makes a huge fire magnet that can survive. sheild generator and stiminjector makes 2 4+ inv saves that can both be taken in one save. also i have had my shas'o tie up a autarch on a jet bike for 4 turns in CC that would have torn through my units, it all depends on who you tie up in CC, single low strength characters are perfect to assult
    Stim injector is not an invulnerable, it follows the feel no pain rules and I would advise reading up on them if you believe it allows a save agianst everything like an INV (it does not).
    Shield Gens are a waste on a Shas'El/O as they actually restrict the options that can be taken and if you use them correctly (IC status, Cover, JSJ) you should never need to take one.
    The best fits are Helios multi and FK multi or Centurion if you like to waste an HQ slot, and the elites slots are better if not over saturated with expensive suits, consider this every single point you spend on the XV8 has to come from somewhere else in the list and the returns will not justify the expense.

Forget bodyguards unless you run a farsight list.

I take TA equipped Deathrains, they are cheap and massively effective, if you take a FK for instance to make it effective you have to have a multi, but if you take a team the option to take the multi means no TA, so your stuck with base BS, if you take TA your stuck with one weapon a turn. This compromise is why I do not take FK or helios teams, only the team leader is truly effective.

The Deathrain team is accurate and cheap, even with a team leader with target lock, they hit on 3+ with re-rolls with high strength weapons and can target two units a turn.
    The Deathrain team is also long ranged and easy to hide, so this enhances their survivability as there is nothing to be gained by getting close to the opposition.

The temptation with Helios and FK elites is to get them close to use their low AP weapons, however without the benefit of IC status and the low BS of the team, it often ends up that the target is not taken out and the XV8 team is left open to counter attack, just one loss means testing (at normal XV8 LDS) and the team is often sent running of the field, or even worse the team is caught in CC and slaughtered.

Use the HQ XV8's for the low AP stuff (I always take two) and the elites should be deathrain teams (of 2 not 3), also I always take a team of stealths as these compliment the list nicely and offer some more flxibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Since you asked what each of us take, and it's about points and such, I'll divulge my HQ/Elites section (I always play 2000 point games)

HQ CRISIS 97
    Shas’el +Plasma +Missle +TA +MT
    HQ CRISIS 97
    ELITE CRISIS 236
    1xCrisis +2ShieldDrones +Plasma +Missle +TA +TeamL +Bond +MT
    2xCrisis +Plasma +Missle +MT
    ELITE CRISIS 236
    ELITE CRISIS 236

More is merrier, but don't skimp on some of the necessary goodies.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by lLonginus View Post
    Since you asked what each of us take, and it's about points and such, I'll divulge my HQ/Elites section (I always play 2000 point games)

HQ CRISIS 97
    HQ CRISIS 97
    Like these, nice and cheap and effective

Quote Originally Posted by lLonginus View Post
    ELITE CRISIS 236
    ELITE CRISIS 236
    ELITE CRISIS 236

More is merrier, but don't skimp on some of the necessary goodies.
    Wow these are expensive units, they are testing if you lose the 3+ save drones and even the bonding is no guarantee your team wont run away, two suits in each team are base BS3 and each unit can only hit one unit.
    If you get caught in CC the whole expensive unit could be lost, and the 3 elites cost over 700pts, that’s a third of your total army cost.
    I would go for these immediately if I was playing you, get some casualties, force tests and reduce the unti sizes, it would be very easy simply because of the concentration of points in each unit and the large unit footprint makes them hard to hide.
    Their VPts value make them to much of a liability, I would never run this amount of XV8's its just to many eggs in one basket fer mah tastes son

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast