hormies and spine gaunts do they work well together? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hormies and spine gaunts do they work well together?

I was looking to play my first nids game in a couple of weeks and i was wondering if a troop selection made made of 50% spinegaunts and 50% hormies would work well. I hve the rest of my army decided on and i will be fighting space marines, if that helps.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

I don't know your rest oif your army, but i can tell you, it you go shooty, you might just want to go for the spines only. This is because melee can block your line of sight too.

But if you go for much rending and close combat and stuff like that, hormies are great. So a 50-50 is good, or more for hormies, your own preference
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

I don't use plain spineys, I prefer scuttling spinegaunts, but I say that they do indeed work well with hormies.

With scuttling spinegaunts, they leap ahead so you have two "waves" of gaunts approaching the enemy, the more expendable ones taking the lead. When it comes to charging time, they actually both hit the enemy's lines simultaneously, hopefully with plenty of hormies since the spineys have been taking bullets for them, either because of their psychological impact or from failed target priority tests.

I don't use them 50-50 though, the most hormies I ever use is 60-40, or to be exact once I'm fielding all 40 of my scuttling spinegaunts I may throw in 20 hormies to back them. Hormies work best as a smallish shock force, but they cost too many points to bear the brunt of the heat like the spineys can.

Just remember to have some fast synapse if you're going to use this strategy, as footslogging tyrants, warriors or zoanthropes won't cut it. The turn when you charge, and the opponent's counter-charge, is when you will be the most vulnerable since the gaunts have likely all charged out of footslogging synapse range. I 8always* field a winged tyrant to babysit the gaunts. I used to experiment with winged warriors too, but gave up on them. Infiltrating a broodlord, keeping his head down and just waiting for the gaunts to catch up with him before advancing is an okay tactic too, but I just love my flyrant.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

+ Reply to Thread