Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
If possible I would like to take a look at all the possible "threats" that a Tau General would face and the BEST way to deal with them matching a unit for unit, that is the "counter" of the "threat". For example, an obvious situation would be:
The transport of a close combat unit, AV10-11. While there are is multipal units that carry the weapons that can deal with them what is the best choice? My fireWarriors have S5 pulse rifles so
if I have a squad of 12 and shoot at it, chances are I will hit at less once, especially if I marker light it!
However wasting the fireWarrior shots or even unloading them from a dFish for the shot as well as using a marker light in this way, though it is possible, it may not the BEST way to take down a transport.
From the way I see it the fireWarriors and marker lights for that matter could best be utilized for other "threats" that we face. In this situation the best possible "COUNTER" would be a XV8 equipt with a missile pod. The benefits are many why this is the best "counter" to the transport "threat".
1. While the missile pod has a high strength is also has a fairly high armour piercing for the relative high strengh. S7 AP4 means that though it would be easier to wound a lot of units, it may not be as easy to pierce their armour. So if your facing oh say space marines for example(chances are you will!) a missile pod wouldn't instanta kill them. So we could take the benefit of the high strengh without having to deal with the what may be labeled as a draw back of the high AP.
2. Missile pods free up the railguns to stay focussed on their main targets, the heavy armour! Submission shots also can be taken without the concerns of transports.
This is just one example of what I see as the best counter to the threat of a transport(AV10-11). Now I would love it if someone could provide a better counter explaining why it is a better counter, for that is the reason of this thread. I would like to leave it open to deal with all the other threats we face and see some of the ways you the players best deal with hordes, monstrous creatures, infiltrators, fast attackers, fast skimmers, ordinance and the others on a unit(s) vs unit basis.
This isn't a focus on a list that can handle everything at once but more so a focus on what unit can handle any such certain unit. I've seen a lot of questions on, "... I'm face [such and such] army need some help..." or "...how do you deal with [such and such unit]..." and people will give a whole list and strategy to go with it to counter an army with that particul unit in it when they still will be facing the rest of the the armys units.
I would just like to see what the best way to deal with a particular unit is even if it means having to use more that one option, for instance if the best way to deal with say a MC is unload from fireWarriors and support fire from burning eye suits, thats fine and dandy because it may be the best way to deal with that one particular MC.
Please share you secrets!
My priorities are:
1. Fastest moving assault sqauds transports/jump packs/ wings/ fleet
2. Other tanks
3. Str 7+ weapon teams
1. I take out anything that can get to me the fastest first to avoid my crisis suits being tied up. Missile pods for lower armor transports. Any of the numerous str 5 shots for fast moving infantry. I find SMS help alot as most of these units will be using cover and terrain to move forward. I will spend as much firepower as I can for these units.
2. I take out other tanks for their higher cost easier killing targets with railguns. Piranhas with fusion can usually start attacking on turn 2.
3. I then focus on anything that can hurt my vehicles, as HHs are high priority targets any weapon that has chance to glance it is next. Target saturation works best for these units
4. Foot slogging Infantry with less then str 7 weapon is my last priority as it is the least threating of anything. As most threats have been dealt with I just fire everything I have at which ever unit is: Above 50% closest to me or worth more victory points.
This are kinda universal priorities for me.
Last edited by Tyrius; September 29th, 2007 at 18:02.
Revised my 1st post to be more specific to each threat.
For Tyranids First turn should be taking out each of the synapse creatures one after the next. While many will weaken the overall by saying "well theres only one warrior left over there, time to move on" They still have control over in that sector. It has proved better for me to sweep from left to right (or opposite) through sinapse, ignoring the masses and killing the control units. The last time i did this 32 hormagaunts spent their time moving sideways across the board trying to get back into synapse, instead of eating me.
Exception: rippers and genestealers, being mindless/equivalent should be targeted by the firewarriors as they don't need the synapse coverage (and are nasty).
The benefit of this tactic is that in the event of a failed priority test the shots arent wasted as they still thin out the creatures who could get to you if the synapse survive turn 1 shooting.