Tyranid Winged Hive Tyrant - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranid Winged Hive Tyrant

So I finally got my balrog wings today from GW and the thing is huge ! going to look great.
    only problem I have is.. where in the hive mind's name do i put the wings ?

at first I thought about an arm socket but I still need to get 2x Scything talons on the thing.

my best idea is placing the wings on the outer edges of the carapace. directly above the arm sockets en green stuff the gaps.

if you have any tips on securing , placing , .... the thing please let me know!

I don't want to screw this up

Hive Fleet Lucanus : 2000 points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Option 1, if you want to stick with the limitation of a total of 6 limbs: Glue the wings in the uppermost sockets, and use the wings themselves as standing in for ScyTal. I recall the Balrog wings had a large claw poking out? If you don't think that's enough, add a ScyTal blade to the outer edge or replace the claw already there.

Option 2, if you don't care about the limitation of 6 limbs: use your method or a variant. You could use GStuff to make small sockets for the wings higher on the carapace.

In either case, if you're worrying about their resiliency you could pin them in place which is especially useful with the metal Balrog wings.

I'd recommend using neodymium/rare-earth magnets to keep the arms exchangeable, as it will allow you to try out different weapon configurations. You could also use them on larger biomorph bits as well.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Take a look in the gallery section to see how other nid players have done it - I did this when trying to decide for my own tyrant and it was pretty helpful. Generally though I think you have 2 options: you can adhere to the strict "tyranids have 6 limbs" rule and put the wings in an arm socket, and then maybe attach scything talons (or counts-as st's) to the wings themselves, or you can make your own socket (I made mine behind and sort of at-middle-height-as the existing ones).

As for how to secure them, I would definitely recommend using magnets. I didn't at first, but it was a HUGE pain to transport the thing around. Eventually one day I woke up and the wings had just fallen off. So I took the opportunity to put magnets in the wings (2 magnets in each wing, because they are heavy) so they can be detached, packed up, and easily put on, to the amazement of your wargaming buddies. But then, I didn't use balrog wings, which are metal, right? So they might be heavier. Bigger magnets (I think mine are 10mm diameter? don't quote me on that) or maybe just more of them would probably still work. I'd test it out before doing the fancy greenstuff work.

EDIT: Darn, Uzi you beat me to it!
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well It's a plastic balrog wing actually. and I like the ST on the wings. I can see something in that but I should how to position it. at first the wings seems to be pointing a bit downward which I would like to avoid. and magnets would good yeah. I already think he'll be a soddy bug deploying and transporting will be even worse

Hive Fleet Lucanus : 2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

For my tyrant, I pinned them in the shoulderpieces of his carapace. But I didn't glue it into place, so I can remove the whings when needed. The gaps have been dealt with with Green Stuff. I did this, for transport reasons. I don't want to break my wings or something like that
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

There's a third option along the lines of if you want to keep this bad boy to 6 limbs. Wing in the top slots, talons in the two remaining slots, and then use a wooden dowel (or similar) to support the weight of the tyrant. I used this method for my guy (I figure if you've got wings, who needs legs?) and it's worked out well so far. The main key is, as people have said already, MAGNETS! They're the only way to secure the monster wings (good choice BTW) and still be able to transport your monster.

If you don't want to go my route you can always attach the STs to the wings, the easiest way to do this (that I've seen) is to glue them in place as either extentions of the claw that's already on the wings, or you can position them as extensions on the tip of the wings.

A poor drawing to illustrate:
    _________
    ////////// -- CLAW! (there are pictures around of these if you look for them)

(Sorry I didn't just pull up a real image)

it actually looks pretty decent if you do it that way.
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by paul_Harkonen View Post
    _________
    ////////// -- CLAW!
    Holy cow dude, that is the greatest illustration I've ever seen! :rofl
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went for the scything talons on the wing bit, and I have gotten many compliments on the model, though I used plastic dragon wings for my tyrant. If I had a scanner, I'd put a pic, but I don't have one, so I won't. Either way, I think the model is going to look great, and, I am yet another person to advocate magnets for the use of sticking things together...so convenient. I usually use them for Carnifexes, though I think the next Tyrant I buy I'll use on him, too.

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Next time I'll have to whip out my amazing MS paint skills for you Lincoln.

pictures for better reference now that I have time to look for them.

Option 1, attached to the middle of the wing:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/show...hp?i=3895&c=42

A couple permutations of option 2:

http://hem.spray.se/kendoka/arachnoi...ive_tyrant.jpg
    In this one the claws are embedded in the wings themselves, you could do this by turning them down and GSing in between the claws to make wings, or by basically fusing claws into the ribbing on your balrog wings.

I can't find an example of the style I was talking about (it means you'd be original!) but basically it'd be like the first one, but with the claws parallel to the wings and placed at the tips.

Also, as an example, here's one with claws for legs and the wings:

http://www.warlords.org.nz/Thomas_Spider_Tyrant.JPG
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

I just pinned my balrog wings onto my HT. It's going to be a dakka flyrant. I've put magnets on the bottom of the HT (along with my carnifexes and zoanthropes). I've got a large plastic box where I've glued down washers so my models will sit comfortably without tilting.

As for the actual modeling, I put the wings in a socket and I'm made my own devourer arms. Each arm has two devourer heads. So each arm is one TL devourer. I'll take pics if you're interested in seeing it. It looks a bit rough at the moment, but I hope to finish it soon.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

+ Reply to Thread