New player wanting to start dark eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New player wanting to start dark eldar

Im a player of ur arrogant kin, and i wanna start dark eldar, my worries are that after i buy some models the new dex is gonna come out and some models are gonna be crap/illegal (i can say that with experience, my saim hann army went to ebay....). in the other threads i've learnt that a dark eldar codex is in the works, but it isnt because theyre working on the toasters. and any other advice is very welcome thanks.

Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't worry too much about new models and 'dex coming up within a year, but if it does then hurrah! Anyway I just got into them and my advice is to mention it to some older vet players because I just mentioned in passing that I was only thinking about DE and I got a ton of warriors from the 3rd edition box set that everyone seems to have lying around! haha

I guess I got in also because along with 24 warriors I got...
    1 Talos
    11 Incubi
    1 hellion
    2 Jet Bikes
    6 Wyches
    1 Scourge

soooo how could I say no! haha

The biggest pain in the ass is finding Raiders and Ravengers. I haven't had any luck on ebay or at any stores thus far.

But I say dive on in! Its especially fun if your going to be the only one around who plays them so everyone can ooooh and ahhh over them haha
    40k armies
    Imperial Guard-3,250pts
    Blood Angels-2,000pts
    Daemon Hunters-2,000pts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Considering the trend with the new codices, this is my prediction (purely opinion):

1. Our current army make up or options to make an army is drastically going to change. "Sublists" are systematically being eliminated amongst the xenos codices (ie. eldar, chaos and orks) - Notice I said xenos and not imperium? cough, cough. Wych Cults I think will be gone - they may give us an option to have an extra squad of them but I do not think we will be able to field a pure wych cult army anymore.

2. Wyches, although they are the crux of the majority of our lists I think they will change them (meaning reduce their effectiveness). Whether it be points or special abilities I think it will be both, more points for less than what they do now.

3. Dark lances and blasters will either cost more or they will be harder to field. I do not think we will have "sniper" squads of old (10 men with 2 lances). Trend is showing 10 men 1 lance, 20 men 2 lances - unless we have some sort of heavy weapons team (which I doubt).

4. Web Way Portal (WWP) - probably the most controversial piece of wargear we own. I dont think it will used the same way and I think they will put more limitations on it than we do now. They may throw us a bone in its deployment but somehow limit us in what can come out of it or whatever.

5. Hellions, Grotesques, Scourges, Mandrakes & Talos will need changing and I really cant tell if they are going to stay with us.

6. Models will need to be changed - they do try to put out new models with new codices but I think the entire line of models need to changed to meet their standards. I think this alone is the reason for a long wait or the constant prolonging of our new codex. I foresee all the models changing - our old ones will still work but without a wych cult variation I will have 60 wych models in the unemployment line (except for Apocolypse - oh joy).

So if you are looking for a long term stable army - this isn't it. My guess will be... an army addendum in white dwarf late in '08 and perhaps a new codex in '09. This gives you roughly a full year with no changes and another year on the bubble (which is my way of saying it may be postponed even further out).

With the "happy-go-lucky everone loves a pirate" trend don't expect it to be an elitest finisse army - probably more like spikey Captain Jack Sparrow rejects on combat drugs, savvy?

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the info, rep
    i think i will wait till 09 for the codex. ill stick with eldar for moment...
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by DieHardSaintKildaSupporter View Post
    Im a player of ur arrogant kin, and i wanna start dark eldar, my worries are that after i buy some models the new dex is gonna come out and some models are gonna be crap/illegal (i can say that with experience, my saim hann army went to ebay....). in the other threads i've learnt that a dark eldar codex is in the works, but it isnt because theyre working on the toasters. and any other advice is very welcome thanks.
    Hi Mate (another Aussie here I see!),
    I would have to agree with KwikWag here but add that if you can get cheap models from Ebay, get 18 months to 2 years out of them before the new Codex arrives, then go for it.

All of our models won't be redundant and some of the ones that might be could be used as "counts as" in an army - not ideal but its a possibilty. In other words a no longer used line of miniatures could stand in for something more current as long as it is clear what they are supposed to be.

I actually look forward to having my own "vintage" army in a way.

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

If you have an eBay account, use it! There was a nice and big sprue of 20 warriors in the last starter set (the one before Battle for Macragge), pitted against a far supirior force of space marines, and those sprues float around like garbage on eBay. Get 2 of those 20 warrior sprues, two dark lancers, mail order 4x incubi blasters and convert a haemunculi from a warrior body and perhaps a mandrake head, and you should be able to field one of the strongest 500 point forces ever, all for less money than what a single guardian squad would cost you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing dark eldar for a while now, and in general, it seem that GW has been trying to balance the individual units so the crazy units aren't as crazy and the crappy units aren't as crappy. If there was one model that i would bet to be insane in the new DE codex, it would have to be the mandrakes.

Let me explain; Mandrakes are awesome, but they aren't used... y? Well, they got all these special rules that would make them insane (special deployment, shadow skinned...) but they suck because they are close combat troops, but with nothing special about their close-combat abilities- they are just barely better than regular troops in close combat, but they don't even have the squad leader (the one that REALLY does the damage in cc).

The thing is, if they get a squad leader, or if they had better cc ability, they would really be an asset to a DE army. GW can't possibly make them any worse, and will probably just give them a squad leader... could you imagine a Mandrake sybarite? 'nough said.

This is just speculation, but GW really has to balance out the DE army. If there are any changes, I'd bet on Mandrakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing dark eldar for a while now, and in general, it seem that GW has been trying to balance the individual units so the crazy units aren't as crazy and the crappy units aren't as crappy. If there was one model that i would bet to be insane in the new DE codex, it would have to be the mandrakes.

Let me explain; Mandrakes are awesome, but they aren't used... y? Well, they got all these special rules that would make them insane (special deployment, shadow skinned...) but they suck because they are close combat troops, but with nothing special about their close-combat abilities- they are just barely better than regular troops in close combat, but they don't even have the squad leader (the one that REALLY does the damage in cc).

The thing is, if they get a squad leader, or if they had better cc ability, they would really be an asset to a DE army. GW can't possibly make them any worse, and will probably just give them a squad leader... could you imagine a Mandrake sybarite? 'nough said.

This is just speculation, but GW really has to balance out the DE army. If there are any changes, I'd bet on Mandrakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

wicky, your based in sydney???

i always thought you were US based!

don't worry abou hte codex update is what i reckon, when it comes it comes, and until then we have a kick arse army, if not a bit one tracked, and after that they will have to boost our abilities or something to get more public into buying them. The only problem being if they boost our abilities and change our direction (uber fast elite but weak troops who will win an assault, but after that get whittled down). If they do that he have a big issue. But i don't really see it happening. most of the new codecies they have changed but not change the entire flavor of an army, just re-worked it a bit, generally making it better. If anyhting i forsee wyches becoming a troop choice, much like all the chaos marine choices.

but back to the OP. of course your going to get a one sided opinion there, but i say they are great, you will get a lot of use out of what you get now, as our codex is ages away, and when new models do come out you can mix and match and have a more varied force!
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -39 (x0)

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT till the next dex comes out. It'll be a while (hell, it might not even happen), but the DE models need to be replaced.

I mean my God!, are the warriors ugly or what?! And what is with the male Arcon from the blister pack? His name is "Anus Face".

Incubi look cool though... :happy:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast