Tyranid Tank Troubles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranid Tank Troubles

A couple questions:

How should Tyranids go about taking down tanks? Specifically a few Leman Russes?
    I play a swarm army, but I have some points to spare, but those battle cannons wreak havoc on my gaunts and 'stealers. Should i just load up on venom cannons or what?

Second, what's meant by a "Sniperfex"? i.e. what's the basic loadout of one?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Sniper Fex= a venom cannon, a barbed strangler, enhanced senses and ussually a defensive upgrade.

The best way to take care of tanks is probably sniper fexes. Now you may say, a VC can only ever get glancing and the BS is a long shot against a lemon russ, but remember, you don't have to destroy it. That is relatively easy for your stealers or other renders to do. All the sniperfex has to do is stop it's shooting for a couple turns.

Other options are spore mine clusters. Believe it or not, these are great for taking out tanks. If you run a lictor, they are easy to get out second or 3rd turn and by landing them right on the back of a tanks, you have a very good chance of blowing it up, for only 36 points. Still, they aren't as reliable as a fex.

Lictors can also work well as tanks ussually are parked near cover and their high strength plus rending makes them ideal for destroying tanks, but again, you have to accept that they won't show up for a couple turns.

Because a fex can ussually start firing one the 1st turn, they are more dependable than the other options.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

A focused Warp Blast can also deal nasty damage to vehicles, but the range is mediocre and it's single shot with average BS. As the focused version requires a test, some armies can also try to nullify it.

Thus the WB can function as backup, but you need something to silence those vehicle weapons at range... And my vote also goes for the VCannon as it has good range, excellent Str and multiple shots. Usually five out of six Glancing results are enough to stop or at least reduce the firepower a vehicle can dish out. Just remember, destroying them at range is not the point! As soon as the vehicle is not firing, switch to the next target. In the case the target loses its most potent weapon (Battlecannon for Russ), I'd switch targets if there were still others which would have their main weapon intact.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Carnifex /w venom cannon, barbed strangler, enhanced senses, reinforced chitin-163

That's my favourite 'sniperfex' although some people prefer extended carapace. Or carapace and bonded exoskeleton.

Zoanthrope /w warp blast, synapse-65

A really common anti-tank. Most people run 3 of these to control the swarm and provide anti-tank.

Hive Tyrant /w venom cannon, twin-devourers, enhances senses
    2 Tyrant Guard

Can't remember his points cost, I like to add things like toxic miasma and shadows in the warp to him.

Apart from that its basically bio-acid mines or anything with rending. I guess a flying cc tyrant with warp blast could help out too...
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a swarm army its best just to bring a cupple light weight sniperfexes, but they usualy only glance and geting the 6 on the glancing table seems to be very difficult at times. you could try using raveners with deepstrike + rending along with Spore mines and lictors. All of these options have about 50% chance of sucess at best. I bring a loaded fex in every army [other than 500pt lists]. Sure the fex is a bit slow, but unless the enemy brings heafty carnifex killing equipment they wont kill it. I don't care what anyone says, the only way mine died is when it got hit with 3 assult squads worth of plasma pistols. A loaded carnifex will peal open any vehicle it comes up on [aside from the monolith] like a can of sardines.
    Hive Fleet Toraques:3000 pts and growing
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln View Post
    Tyranids are so pumped up with the power of their psychic connection to the Hive Mind that they sustain horrific wounds... except for some psychic weapon, which is apparently stronger than the collective consciousness of the entre Tyranid species! =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Bringer_of_Acid-Death View Post
    but they usualy only glance and geting the 6 on the glancing table seems to be very difficult at times.
    --- But you don't need a 6... Everything except "Immobilized" is usually a good result for Tyranid shooting, as it means the vehicle won't be shooting back. At least, not with full firepower. People really should get over this "But it MUST be destroyed!"-attitude, as it really doesn't work with 'Nids.

I bring a loaded fex in every army [other than 500pt lists]. Sure the fex is a bit slow, but unless the enemy brings heafty carnifex killing equipment they wont kill it. I don't care what anyone says, the only way mine died is when it got hit with 3 assult squads worth of plasma pistols. A loaded carnifex will peal open any vehicle it comes up on [aside from the monolith] like a can of sardines.
    --- And that helps your Gaunts and 'Stealers to survive... How, exactly? The tank will still get at least two to three turns of shooting at the rest of your swarm, wiping out their numbers, while your 'Fex trundles along, hoping to reach combat.

This was the OPs problem: The Lemans are blasting away his troops, not monsters. A CC 'Fex certainly won't help him one bit, unless his opponents are incompetent and get scared enough to divert all their firepower at the CC 'Fex.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only defference between me and you is that I finish the job ... I don't stop half way threw. and besides unless a vehicle is distroyed, it can always come back and bite you in the ass when your back is turned.
    Tyranids are so pumped up with the power of their psychic connection to the Hive Mind that they sustain horrific wounds... except for some psychic weapon, which is apparently stronger than the collective consciousness of the entre Tyranid species! =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and the MC usualy draw the attention anyways.
    like I said, I never had a problem with this.
    out of the hundreds of games I've played, not once have I had a problem with all of my troops dieing off.
    I'm asuming that the lemun russes are in vast numbers, all of these tatics plus the loaded fex will sertainly stop them, I mean hell you don't need the loaded fex, I just find it to be the most effective at killing tanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Bringer_of_Acid-Death View Post
    the only defference between me and you is that I finish the job ... I don't stop half way threw. and besides unless a vehicle is distroyed, it can always come back and bite you in the ass when your back is turned.
    --- The point is, the Sniperfex stops the vehicle from shooting so that the rest of the swarm reaches combat with less casualties... Including stuff like 'Stealers and other Renders, which can kill the tank once they reach it, which they can do far faster than the CC 'Fex could.

OP mentioned "a few" Russes, so probably more than one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rending not terably effective either, you have to rely on rolling a 6 on the to hit part.
    otherwise the attack is fruitless. even if the tank doesn't move an inch. So far as I know.
    with any MC you can pop it open with ease. I mean if you don't like the fex, you could always go with a CC flyrant. But thats where I think its a waist. Seeing as a tyrant can have a BSof 4 the highest of the whole swarm, plus it has 3 attacks stock so you give it wings and 2x TL devours and you can punch holes in squads like nothing else can. Even with that you could charge a tank and you get your 3 attacks anyways. Idk I'm just a huge fan of the heavy weights there nearly unstopable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast