Venom Cannons in a stealer shock list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Venom Cannons in a stealer shock list

I'm putting together a pretty basic stealer shock list, and even considering using it for the Baltimore GT.

The biggest problem a stealer shock list has is with fast tanks. So Mech Tau, and Mech Eldar can be a huge problem.

To allieveate this, I want to add a couple of Carnifex's to the list, as the VC is the perfect weapon agasint these vehicles, since its always glancing rule is moot.

Since I only care about the VC, I'm considering doing Carnifex's with Twin-Linked VC. I REALLY don't need the Barbed Strangler, and hitting with both shots of the VC would really help me do what I need to do with those tanks.

Do you think this is wise? or does anybody have any better alternatives?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

If you really are gunning for fast tanks. I think TL devoure+VC is better though its a horrible combo too.

A sniper fex is versatile and thats a winning concept. a dual VC fex is just free Victory points.
    Thats my 2 cents anyways.
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its a good idea if your only weakness will be skimmers, but it does cost more than the VC/BS combo and how are you going to synapse the fexes? Just have them lurk?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Yes, I understand that the sniperfex is more versatale, but in the 3 games that I have used one, I think I have hit with the Barbed Stranger a grand total of twice. Not twice per game, but TWICE PERIOD.

And why do I care about a gun that is only usefull against troops? If all the stealers I have can't do the job, then no amount of shooting is going to help. I want the fex's for 1 thing, and 1 thing only...take out tanks.

Now I'm new to Tyranids, but the golden rule in Space Marine Army construction is to give something a job, and then the best loadout to accomplish that job. And it seems to me that a twin-linked VC is twice as likely to take down a tank as a sniperfex, for really the same point cost.

I never thought about the TL devoure, but I would be worried about the limited range of the Devourer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

I would use VC + TL Devs. It really is great. Not very expensive, can take down skimmers from range, and will unload on skimmers that need to get close to either drop off troops or fire assault cannons. I have been running two of them, as well as one pure devil fex with spine banks and they have done the job. My list is also a stealer stock list (4 squads of with two squads of gargoyles and a flyrant. My biggest probelm with the TL vennom cannons is that if you fight someone with no or one vehicle it is nearly completely worthless. VC + Devs are great, give it a try and you will like it...just make sure to bring two of them because those vennom cannons sometimes do need help to hit.

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

The cool thing about barbed stranglers is they're still useful against skimmers. It's str is high enough you'll be glancing on 5's at worst against skimmers. (4's on everything but a hammer head). And then if you take out all the tanks your Fex can still put on the hurt against the enemies units by hitting them with it.

Just having some bad experiences with your strangler isn't proof it'll never work. I know mine has good months and bad months. In a good month I hit 6 times per game, in a bad one I won't hit at all, it evens out in the end, so don't worry too much about it.

Oh, and this is a fine idea overall, it's basically what I do myself. Run stealers with fexes\zoies for anti tank and sit back and unload.
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

I'd also vouch for the regular Sniperfex... If you want to try out something different, I recommend outfitting it with neodymium/rare-earth magnets or alternative means to exchange weaponry without dedicating the 'Fex to a single semi-permanent loadout.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

The effective range of devourers becomes irrelevant 2-3 turns into the game as you can walk into range with it. and it's not like that sort of fex is going to be a priority target either... Who is going to waste bullets on a fex when you have a horde of stealers clawing their way across the board.

vc/TL dev+enhanced senses is a bit odd loadout for a fex so people wont know what to do with it too. great surprise value.
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

+ Reply to Thread