Welcome to Librarium Online!
I am playing in a friendly tournament, and have been slotted to fight the necron player in a 2000pts battle. The problem I have is that I have never fought necrons before, and don't know much about them. I have played eldar long enough to realize that I have to tailor my force to the enemy, else I often suffer dire consequences. I would appreciate any info/advice on what units are effective and what to use them for. If anyone has a successful list, that would be great too. I have not seen my opponent's list, but was told that he likes to take two monoliths, if that helps. Thanks, in advance.
Anti monolith tactics could involve
Other things you could take
- Haywire grenads on swooping hawks using the exarch power to get the grenades to hit the skimmer on a 4+.
- Wraithguard in a transoprt. Wraithcannon shred vehicles and they don't care much about the srength of the armour or the monolith special rules. Wraithguard are expensive however (points and moneywise) and not really worth it against necron warriors. They are however very nice against destroyers but you need the transport to get in range.
- Fire dragons in a transport. Don't give them any upgrades and remember the "AP1 means all glances penetrate" rule does work against monoliths but their meltabombs will be almost useless with a 6 needed to hit followed by a 6 needed to glance.
- Runes of warding on one of your farseers.
- Vipers with 2 shuriken cannon and use manouverability to pour fire on parts of his army.
- A tough unit of shining spears lead by an autarch on a bike to charge and kill the necron with the resurection orb. Make sure they have hit and run to keep them from being bogged down for more than 2 combat rounds.
- Harlequins can be fun but watch out for destroyers moving 12" towards them and firing from close range ignoring the shadowseer effects.
- Zain Zarr (or whatever her name is). Put her in a transport with some banshees and watch them shred the necrons in hand to hand. Casting doom upon their opponents greatly improves their effect.
- D-Cannon. A bit short range but you could probably lure the necrons forewards a bit.
- 3 war walkers with 6 scatterlasers. 180 points and they kick out a lot of firepower. Stay above 24" range and the necron warriors can't touch you. Shoot the destroyers first as they have enough range, strength and shots to ruin your squadron.
Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.
Thanks. I found out today that it will be a hold-at-all-costs mission. I am defending. Any further advice is appreciated, and I'll let everyone know how it works out. I like the swooping hawks idea, since their rules seem least affected by the 'living metal' stuff, and I'll try the war walker thing, as a central fire-base. Staying out of range will be hard, though, cause I think I start in the middle of the table...
Victory! I was able to defeat the necron player, using the following. Swooping hawks were able to immobilize and destroy weaponry on two monoliths, leaving them useless piles of junk. The third monolith was easy to avoid. However, the nightbringer was faster than I thought, and destroyed the entire squad of swooping hawks, an autarch, and a squad of dire avengers, before the end. I reduced all his warrior squads to below half, so none were scoring, and on the last turn, rushed my warp spiders onto the objective to win the match. The victory, using VPs, was small, but the game was all the better for its closeness. Thanks for the advice!
3 monoliths and a nightbringer? Can you say easy phase out? Some things that I've used against necrons were wraithguard to pop monoliths, Avatar to eat everything except a nightbringer (still holds up a good turn or two), dire avengers from a serpent (destroy an entire necron squad in one shooting phase), walkers (even necrons are afraid of that many dice, and reapers;Y.
Congratulations, well done, glad you didnt get the usual "ignore the monoliths and go for phase out" advice, that generaly results in pie plate death very quickly
Everything you have been told is a lie!
Yeah, they will deepstrike right into the middle of your army and hit you with pie plates and arc death. Best thing to do is kill it right away, then go to phase out. Do not count on brightlances or melta weapons to take it out. Defantly a job for a D-technology or haywire grenades. In the very least go for a fireprism (or 2).