Doe anybody use swooping hawks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

Doe anybody use swooping hawks

I am just wondering cause they are half the reason i picked up eldar. I want to know if they are effective?

I am also (hopefully but could do without) using harlies

thanks guys

Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
    Mal: Define "interesting".
    Wash: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hawks are im afraid the worst unit in the book, with less fire power and close combat capabilities than grotz. the only reason to take them would be against the necrons for taking out the monolith with haywires if you dont have any prisms. Harleys on the other hand, used well are in my opinion more effective than genestealers since the shadowseer give the viel of tears ability (cant tell you what it does, copyright issues, but i can tell you it makes them hard to shoot at, similar to stealth suits but better). all round harleys while not the most reliable unit, can win you many games single handedly with some luck.
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x1)

thats really sad. they have brilliant models, i guess jet bikes may be the way to go if i want speed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

use hawks as AT they escel in that roleand can pretty well guarantee a destroyed result for most vehicles, with haywire grenades. they have an effective range of 19-24" as well.

In addition they are a great mobile objective taker

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'guarantee a vehicle destroyed result'? I doubt that very much, there are soooooo many better tank busting options out there. mobile objective taker? they're way too fragile to do that. and their lasblasters arent as good as the dire avenger catapult. anyway, would you rather a jetibike or a hawk?
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure people use them

Swooping hawks are brilliant against horde armies, the large template, high rate of fire and mobility excel at that role.

Combined with a good AT ability and the ability to grab last turn objectives they are useful.

What makes people not take them is that they are of limited effectiveness against MEQ...there are better options in the eldar list if you want to target Marines or armies of similar stat lines.

Also, they aren't brilliant in CC like most jump troops in the game so people get confused and think they stink.

Combine that with the fact that Spiders are great at a variety of tasks and your other fast attack choices are great (like shining spears) Hawks are not as popular as they once were.

However, they are still a fine, perfectly viable unit. They excel against hordes (IG, 'nids, orks, etc.) and are great at grabbing objectives and killing tanks. If you use them the way they are designed they will be great.

Good luck!
    Have fun,

Frank

"Orcs are what happens when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grow old and bitter."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x1)

thanks, so in typical kill for points games against MEQ they arn't great, in most other situations they can be used effectively?

i can see great usefulness in them, but i think i will buy them, paint them and not use them (i personally hate the look of warp spiders)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually take them to round out my force against SIGAFH and horde 'Nid lists. A few large blasts really help against doomed targets(skip the to-hit roll, and reroll to-wound. Usually, you can ignore the save roll). And if that doesn't kill them, then stay around a turn to open fire. Otherwise, back up it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Swooping Hawks are fine, they just don't fit into a lot of armies.

Hawks are vulnerable on the turn they land and this means they need protection, best way to preotect em is to wipe out every enemy in sight, best way to do that is to take a very shooty army.

Basically a shooty eldar army with say, dragons in a serpent + hawks for a bit of mobility, maybe some harlequins in a falcon for cc ability and give you a mobile base. Against marines the hawks don't do a lot of damage, but thats not what they're designed for. They're meant to harrass people and that means you need other units to protect them. Unlike warp spiders they don't work alone.

Basically, other units can protect your hawks, don't look at them as a 1on1 kind of unit. They're a lot like pathfinders in certain ways (not the 2+ cover save kind of way ).
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

They are also great against tau.

If you take them try to in medium to large numbers as once the start getting shot at they are going to drop like flies. Always take advantage of there jump infantry. So drop them behind terrain or cover or near a weak isolated unit (if ur opponent is stupid) and tank hunt. If its a horde army blast away, if tau jump on his units and get into CC with your exarches powersword. tis great fun;Y!
    2500pts Emperors Children
    1000pts Dark Eldar Cabal of Agony Eternal
    3000pts Tyranids

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast