Prisms overrated? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prisms overrated?

MEQ players are constantly complaining about how good combined beams are. i think it's good but not great, if they're spread out you'll be lucky to get 5 marines under the pie plate and even if they all die the prisms are probably gonna be shaken for the majority of the remaining turns and if one of them is shaken then the prism'll have to use it's small plate.
    lets talk about the ap2 shot, since termie use large bases, it's most likely going to cover the terminator it was aiming at unless they've just deep struck, so thats not great either. I really dont understand where the marine players are coming from.
    Falcons are more durable and with a starcannons has 4 shots at ap2, plus it has a transport capacity. What do you think?

Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Overrated? No. Over hyped? Maybe.

If your enemy starts spreading out due to your prisms, you can take advantage of this with assault units (since you're more likely to clear your kill zone). They still rock vs guard and nids, particularly when used separately. Some players often ask "Got any template weapons?" and if the answer is no, bunch up their army to get as many units into a small area as possible.

I use both fire prisms and starcannons (on vypers) to give me some versatile AP2 options. While the fire prism is versatile, as you point out it's not the solution to everything.

Falcons are good, but their accuracy isn't too hot and their weapons aren't entirely complementary (While a pulse laser is AP2, the extra strength is often overkill vs troops), particularly if you upgrade the catapults.

It all comes down to personal choice. But I like the options the fire prism gives my army.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Well, a basilisk is about a 3rd of the price of our pair of prisms and it packs a much bigger gun.

Yes, combining beams to kill MEQ's is a waste unless you have a really good shot. Combining beams to shoot tanks is brilliant.

People always seem to forget though...2 seperate focused blasts can often do far more damage to terminators or vehicles than any merged blast ever could.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

It isn't just the power, it is the range. 60" means that unless you are playing against IG, the prisms have the ability to dance sideways (to maintain glancing hits) and stay out of range of just about eveything that can hurt them.

In games with table-quarter deployment it is very hard to actually get a shot them, and when you do it is generally just a shaken result. I've been in games where a pair of falcons essentially picked apart my entire army while using Harlies to tie up (and kill) my fast units. The rest of the army was a screen.

For my guard, I prey for first turn and hope my bassie penetrates. With my take-all-comers Marines, well, I send in the tornados and hope they take em down in the one turn they have to try.

Otherwise, I actually have to plan my army around "dealing with Prisms" much like folks have to plan for Nidzilla.

So yes, they are very, very good. The only thing falcons have over them, IMO, is the ability to remain effective after a weapon destroyed result (and the transport capacity).
    Last edited by RecklessFable; October 13th, 2007 at 18:02.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessFable View Post
    So yes, they are very, very good. The only thing falcons have over them, IMO, is the ability to remain effective after a weapon destroyed result (and the transport capacity).
    I always give my prisms shuriken cannons. They're cheap, and mean the fire prism is still reasonably useful if the cannon gets blown off.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

I never give my fire prisms shuriken cannons, if my prism cannon is blown off I either hide and claim objectives or I tank shock 24" every turn. Besides it's not as if twin-shuriken catapults are useless. Killed many a space marine they have.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink View Post
    Besides it's not as if twin-shuriken catapults are useless. Killed many a space marine they have.
    I'd still prefer to kill a space marine from 24" away, though . Catapults aren't useless, but the cannon gives you a lot more options, like being able to have a go at light-medium vehicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Much like the rest of the eldar army I found that prisms most valuable asset is their part as a psychological piece on the field. Put two prisms down and instantly the opponent starts sweating because it looks great on paper and has a nasty reputation. The best roll ive ever used my prisms for is having almost total control of the feild (eldar key to victory) combined with other units with a bad rep in my army (harlies, wraithlord) and my opponent forgets he’s supposed to be trying to beat me not just stay alive hiding.

Point being weather a prism kills a whole lot or not he is great for controlling objectives and your opponent so you can get guys that CAN kill him into their ranks.
    2500pts Emperors Children
    1000pts Dark Eldar Cabal of Agony Eternal
    3000pts Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally love my Prisms. They scare the living hell out of people and also it gives me a lot of tactical flexability which is key. I do find that falcons are fun, but in a tounie Prisms have been more reliable due to the adding/not adding or small/ big template choices that you are allowed... Sometimes Ill run the two Prisms with a falcon geared with scat las. and Sh. cannon just to annoy the hell out of people, usually Ill put in a fire dragon unit or harlies just for a little extra harassment. Plus when a falcon is screaming towards you showering out st. 6+ hits you kind of ignore the prisms

The only thing I would like to know is what other people run as their third heavy support choice, if any.(assuming the first two are prisms.)
    Veni Vidi Vici
    "The plan is to win, if we don't win its cause you guys didn't follow the plan!"
    Eldar: 25,000 pts

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

psychological effect? Where I play people are much more scared of falcons than prisms........
    In my opinion the prism is a one trick pony, while a falcon is more versatile. everyone knows what to expect from a prism, you cant do that with a falcon. just my 2 cents.
    Also how has harleys in a falcon worked for you folks? I dont like to put things in my falcons but they are just such great models it's so tempting.....
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast