Wraithlord and farseer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wraithlord and farseer

I just got a wraithlord and farseer and i had some questions.
    The farseer i got came in the box and is metal, and in the codex it says that it is equipped with a pistol and sword, but in the metal box it has two swords, should i just pretend that one is a pistol for gaming purposes?
    Also, for the wraithlord...
    I want him to have the sword cause it looks so cool, and i was wondering what a good configuration for him would be? Also, I would like to magnatize the weapons on him, but i don't think i will be able to cause the slots and such are so small...

thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

The farseer in question is I assume the one with his sword held in his right hand verticly and a small "dagger" in his left hand pointing? the dagger is generally considered a ritual blade rather than a fighting weapon, a brief examination of his belt will show an array of pouches and holsters which can be considered to hold a pistol (i.e dont worry about it for WYSIWYG unless you want to give him a witchblade, then you are stuffed)

Wraithlord- well it does dpend on what else is in your army, however, hte most common use of WL is as anti tank fire support, armed with bright lance and EML, the sword, whilst it looks cool, is not really that effective, the WL simply lacks the nuber of attacks to be truely effective in close combat
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Wraithlord- the sword, whilst it looks cool, is not really that effective, the WL simply lacks the nuber of attacks to be truely effective in close combat
    Sad but true, sad but true. If I do equip my WL with a sword its ususally in combination with a starcannon just to augment his attacks befoe re he cahrges.
    Last edited by Karmoon; October 20th, 2007 at 12:58. Reason: completing quote BB code
    Veni Vidi Vici
    "The plan is to win, if we don't win its cause you guys didn't follow the plan!"
    Eldar: 25,000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

i.e dont worry about it for WYSIWYG unless you want to give him a witchblade, then you are stuffed)
    I think Chere meant a singing spear here, just wanted to clarify for Devon.

I agree with Chere in regards to the sword. It looks amazing but the wraithlord is slow so may never even see combat and if he does get there his low number of attacks do not make it worth it.
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

I survived LO Chat thanks to: Karmoon, Rabbit, Process, Tossy and Meish.

Obsessed Eldar converter chandrila's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Captain_Devon View Post
    I want him to have the sword cause it looks so cool, and i was wondering what a good configuration for him would be? Also, I would like to magnatize the weapons on him, but i don't think i will be able to cause the slots and such are so small...

thanks for any help!
    The sword does look damn cool - my Wraithlord has one, but I've yet to play any games with my army (!!!) so I can't say what it does in close combat. I think that a popular tactic with the Wraithlord in CC is to tie up potentially damaging characters; he might not win the combat, but it takes a long time to kill him and he's likely to deal out some damage on the way.

As for magnets - I was going to try that myself, having magnetised all the weaponry on my Falcons and Wave Serpent, but for the Wraithlord (and War Walkers and the Guardian Heavy Weapons platform, as they all use the same weapon options) I instead drilled a couple of holes in the slots and put a couple of pins in the weapons. The fit is fairly good and will be better with a bit of paint on the pins, but the advantage of course is that it doesn't look ugly (which would have been unavoidable with magnets, which tend to be round) and you can swap weapons between all three units 8Y

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone, and chandrila, i found a site:
    http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp
    and the block magnets they have look pretty small, but i also like your idea, would u mind giving me a little more info on what you did?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

111 (x2)

Looking at the selection of block magnets on that site, none of them look small enough to use really - I had a look around myself when pondering what to do and couldn't come up with a decent magnet-based solution.

What I did was pretty straightforward. The weapons have a tab on the underside that fits into a slot (either on the War Walker's weapon mounts, or the Wraithlord's shoulder/wrists or the Guardian Heavy Weapon platform). My aim was to have the weapons swappable but basically to not sacrifice the aesthetics.

What I did was cut the tab on the weapon off using some clippers and file it down nice and smooth. Using a pin vice I drilled a couple of holes (one wouldn't have held the weapon in place and there wasn't enough room for three) into the weapon and inserted (and glued) a couple of short lengths of paper clip for pinning. I drilled a pair of corresponding holes in the slot. This way, the weapon sits exactly as it would have done normally without any kind of visual difference.

I'll add some photos later to illustrate this - my camera batteries are flat at the moment. It's pretty easy, but you need to be careful not to drill too deep into the slot (to avoid coming out the other side of the weapon mounts, especially on the War Walker) and not to get the position of the holes wrong as then the weapon won't fit! Hope that helps! 8Y

(Might this thread be better off in the Conversion forum now? )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks, i appreciate it... and it probably would and if someone wants to move it (as i don't know how) they are welcome to. And some pictures would be fantastic!!!
    thanks a ton!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

111 (x2)

Ok, here you go. This is one of the weapons, with pins:

And this is a picture of the receptacle holes in the weapon mount on my Wraithlord's shoulder:

As you can see, it sits pretty well (the gap is probably because the pins need shortening slightly):

And another view:

I've done the same on my Heavy Weapon Platform and War Walker - some of the weapons aren't the best fit, but a layer of paint and varnish should make the pins fit a bit more snugly. This method won't be as robust as using magnets, but given the long, thin mounting point it doesn't lend itself well to using magnets without spoiling the aesthetics.

Hope that helps 8Y

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree to the others about wraithlords and combat. Few things other than terminators and characters with fists can hurt him. He can charge a squad, kill one guy, and win the combat as no one can hurt him with toughness 8. He is 10 models for outnumbering so he will actually start to outnumber the squad after 1-2 rounds of combat (the exception to this is big swarm squads). the sword is 10 points to make sure that he always kills someone and thus wins the combat. AND the sword looks sweet. Always take the sword!!
    why do you bother to look at people's sigs???

+ Reply to Thread