Comparisons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Comparisons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -39 (x0)

Comparisons

Q: How do I beat Necron Wraiths with my Dark Eldar?

I play a portal army, which is mostly CC oriented. I have no ravagers and limited transports. In about 3/4 of my previous games with this player I have been butchered (when I lose against this guy I lose in the most spectacular fashion >.< !), mostly by his Wraiths being faster than me (and being able to ignore terrain, *grumble*).

He employs the same tactics for winning close combat as I do: shoot bucket loads of firepower into the enemy then beat em up in CC outnumbering your foe 10:1. He picks off my weaker units (Warrior assault squads), then mass assaults my warriors! I don't have that many models, and with the Warriors essentially being additional wounds for my Agoniser wielding Sybarite, I find that he whittles down my squad numbers very quickly to be able to get to that oone wound the Sybarite has.

This guy is a seasoned veteran. I've tried employing other tactics that would cause most players to divide their attention, but man - he is just so focused! He knows what to fight, but most importantly when to fight it.

Please help! I can't stand another game of 5 turns of butchering Warriors by the bucket load (and zomg, does he have a solid core of Necrons...).
    PS: Is it just me or was the creator of Necrons a /b/tard? I mean, look at the comparisons:
    - "Their number is legion" and "Anon is legion".
    - Necrons have no identities and are all anonymous.
    - Anon does not forgive, neither do the C'tan gods.
    - Anon has a special fondness for cats (okay... maybe not that one)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -39 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by CCchips View Post
    In about 3/4 of my previous games with this player I have been butchered (when I lose against this guy I lose in the most spectacular fashion >.< !), mostly by his Wraiths being faster than me (and being able to ignore terrain, *grumble*).

Whoah! Good God! I meant 1/4 of my games (I'm not N00b, shutup Jason... ;P ).

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Wraiths are pretty mean. But they die from profane attacks (those that do not ignore armor saves) as easily as any MEQ. While we MEQs have the resilience required to keep most models alive despite the many high-initiative high-strength attacks you would have to make up for that by striking simultaneously (put squads with lower initiative in cover). Enough attacks will down the wraiths, who will hopefully not get up again...
    But I can see how this definitely is a problem. The wraiths' possibilities of movement will likely keep them safe from any shooting (though mobile firepower as Dark Eldar should have it might help). And in close combat one wraith takes 18 WS4 S3 attacks on average until it falls, and then if you don't kill all of them at once (where to get those attacks from?!) there's still that 50% chance it refuses to remain dead. All the while, the wraiths will hold good harvest among your warriors, killing about 1 or 1.5 of them every assault phase each.

I would suggest employing more mobile firepower that is able to speed around the terrain shielding the wraiths in that one turn they probably won't have reached close combat yet and focus enough ranged shooting on them to eradicate the whole squad. Of course if your opponent (probably) uses two or more squads of them this won't solve the problem... but maybe it helps a bit.
    I don't know of any Dark Eldar units that could tie up the wraiths long enough for the rest of the army to seriously harm the Necron core. Tough issue, as you won't outrange the Necrons in shooting and your portal army probably won't outmaneuver them as easily either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -39 (x0)

But in there lies a problem: portal armies aren't exactly the most mobile in terms of firepower (we don't have Ravagers). This player tends to be sneaky, sneaky like gretchin!

Orks is Green. Green is Best.

+ Reply to Thread