Are Necrons Really Boring To Play? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

Are Necrons Really Boring To Play?

I want to create a Rogue Mechanicus Cult Army using Necron rules with a Renegade Techpriest as the lord and robots like the one below as the warriors and with the Monoliths being mobile War factories you've got a solid idea.

But with the new codex rumored to being coming out next Xmas I'm thinking of waiting but my main reason of hesitating is what everyone says about Necrons so I'd like to ask you Necron players...

'Are Necrons Really Boring To Play?'

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Boring to play, no. They have just as much of a tactical element to them as any other army. People often just say they are boring to play with / against as they dont like facing the army. It can be difficult for inexperianced gamers to do well against them as Crons play very differently to other armies.

Boring to build / model / paint, using the standard models they can be, but with conversions like yours above, that looks pretty cool.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

They are as boring as you make them.

Personally I love the synergy the necron codex has and how well a balanced force plays on the table.

It does feel great when you play the army and just know its working together as an army and working as it should.

People call necrons boring because the lack of options - while this is true it then coems dow nto the player to add flare to their army.

If you need options to add flare to your army you're probably thinking about the game the wrong way.

Example "IT R FLUFFEH 2 HAEV KHORNE DAEMONS AND THOUSANDS WORKING 2 GETHER COS IT GIVES ME 'ARD LORD".

Make of that what you will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Awesome idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Proiteus View Post
    I want to create a Rogue Mechanicus Cult Army using Necron rules with a Renegade Techpriest as the lord and robots like the one below as the warriors and with the Monoliths being mobile War factories you've got a solid idea.

But with the new codex rumored to being coming out next Xmas I'm thinking of waiting but my main reason of hesitating is what everyone says about Necrons so I'd like to ask you Necron players...

'Are Necrons Really Boring To Play?'

Awesome Idea for army of the mechanicus! I've wanted to create an army of mechincus army since I read some of the fluff! Thank you so much
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

I think it just depends on the player. We're all drawn to an army based on what we like. While I don't play necrons, I think they are interesting and I like the fluff behind them. But compared to my preferred army (nids) I don't see much excitement in fielding them. A friend plays them and doesn't find them boring at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the other says, necron are what you want them to be. (;? no kidding!!!) If you want to creat an army with always the same tactic, never changing your way of playing, then yes, they are boring! But which army isn't boring to play when you always put the same stuff on the table? none. Others might say they actually aren't much fun to play against, then, there is 2 reasons:
    1) they can bare being defeated, so whatever army you will play, if you win, there will always be a way of complaining...
    2) they face always the same necron list...

So you can make necron a unique army! and if i get it right, that's what you're triing to do! good luck!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

I have a brand-new 1,000-point necron army that I haven't played much with, and I admit that my four-unit crew (five if you count the walking lord) isn't sexy, but it's an interesting change from the marines games I've been playing. A full squad of warriors is tougher than I ever imagined, and it's fun to see your opponent's face when you field five destroyers. When/if I get the time/models to balance the army out and beef it up to 2,000 points, I'll have even more fun!

But it's fun now, too. 8X
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

They're not really borring to play. Just like any army they are as borring as you make them. A lot of people think they are borring because their lack of options in troops,and upgrades(no sarge, etc)

There are also a couple of really strong tactics that people stick to because they work, so there tends to be very little diversity in necron armies.

Like any army, depends on what you want to do with them. I have my 'crons as a "fun army" and so I field things like pariahs on a regular basis, and people think I'm nuts.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on how you play them, sometimes they are really fun to play (imperial guard make my day), but other times its just boring (marines).

Apocalyspe really brought me down and made me start a nids army. The army choices are really limited, and it is really frustrating painting, and building 80 warriors. I hope you like and are good at conversions because you have to be in order to make your arrmy unique.

W/T/L- 85 Billion/1/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

First :

Great looking model and idea, i'm sure you could pull off something very original...which is saying a lot considering what i've seen so far of Necrons.

My 2 cents:

Necrons are , in my opinion, boring to collect. Lets not be afraid of the facts; Necrons are, generally speaking, very much all alike, 2-4 troops one lord and a few immortals/destroyers ( some tomb spiders perhaps). Anything beyond that gets rather hard to balance or make effective.

For instance :several Necron rules makes it hard to shift tactics or gameplay . Things like "We'll be back" can only work if you have a similar model at 6" or less, meaning that you need A: big squad numbers or B: 2 squad of the same type. So you can't just remove your 2nd Immortal squad for a Flayed ones squad and try a "close combat" tactic ( well you could, it just won't work) cause once one is gone ... its gone. This makes it hard to balance things like heavy/fast/elite choices since you're limited already.

Don't get me wrong they are somewhat "fun" to play but you can't improve or change it. If i compare it to my Chaos army, which is a lot more varied , i can make small adjustments and change the tactic/feel of it. For example; i could choose to bench my "Chosen" and opt for a Dreadnought and field a Defiler instead of Havocs for a more light Mech fluff ... or add Havocs and Terms for Infantry fluff.

You have many more omissions and fallacies ,which i will not get into ,that affect a Necron army list but ill try and keep this short .

So in a nutshell: If you're committed to your idea and want to expand it , rules wise it's not a very good army to do so with.
    "The things that appear are a vision of the unseen"
    -Anaxagoras of Clazomenae

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast