Storm Guardians - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storm Guardians

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Storm Guardians

question 1... does the default guardian boxed set come with the parts to make storm guardians?

question 2... are they even worth looking into?

Pictures of the Smigs Army for your amusement....
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b390/Holy_Smigs/

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women"

"JESUS SAVES! the rest of your models each take a wound."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

Answer 1: No. The guardian box only comes with the shuriken catapults.

Answer 2: Depends on your play style, army and mood. Some people love them, some hate them. I'm not fussed either way I just don't use them because they don't fit my army and I prefer aspect warriors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

nope, they definitely do not come with any of the bits to make them. Whether or not they are worth making / taking is purely style and preference. I'm going to be proxying a few in the next city fight games i get in, because i like the idea of a flamer + cc weapons for cheap. you'll find a few big fans and some people who don't get why you'd ever take them. I guess it depends on the army you play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mate uses them, in a campaign we had recently. he used them and not only were they the most skilled unit, they tore apart my 16 man chap crusader squad. So i'd deffiantly get them
    I can be 2 things at once.
    Gods gift to the world, and his biggest mistake

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stormies are a great unit just to chuck in a wave serpent and triple flame (warlock with destructor). Against horde this is a excellent unit.
    Last edited by DieHardSaintKildaSupporter; October 30th, 2007 at 07:27.
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

1. They come in a separate box and if your games workshop is like mine then you'll have to order them online. the bad thing is they come in a box of 8 so you have to either buy another box or have some already to meet the minimum size requirement.

2. I had always wondered as to the point of guardian defenders in 3rd Ed. they were just a squad that fleeted right up to their death before they got into range. Then I discovered Storm Guardians, 16 storm guardians with 2 flamers and a warlock with a singing spear and enhance is a powerful unit. I would rather have it than the same number of marines. luckily in 4th Ed. the defenders have been given platforms so in my eyes they now have a purpose. it really just depends on what your army needs and your playing style.
    You can think of Storm Guardians as the Eldar version of Termagants, meanwhile defenders are the Hormagaunts (*cough* Useless! *cough*).
    Last edited by Shiz_Vaerth; October 30th, 2007 at 07:54.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbinoAlien View Post
    "I am, Shiz_Vaerth! Guardian of Dyren'thya! Keeper of the gateway to the legendary, BLACK LIBRARY! User of the pipes, and wielder of the eternal blade of Dublin"
    Diplomacy: The art of telling someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Join the
    Children of Isha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiz_Vaerth View Post
    2. I had always wondered as to the point of guardian defenders in 3rd Ed. they were just a squad that fleeted right up to their death before they got into range. Then I discovered Storm Guardians, 16 storm guardians with 2 flamers and a warlock with a singing spear and enhance is a powerful unit. I would rather have it than the same number of marines. luckily in 4th Ed. the defenders have been given platforms so in my eyes they now have a purpose.
    Guardians had platforms in 3rd ed too.

I don't know, some people swear by them. You need a transport to keep them safe, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around a unit that could be less expensive than the transport they are riding in....seems wrong and like a waste.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

A unit of seventeen including the warlock would be hard to fit into a transport. I use mine as foot-sloggers which act as a shield against the other armies forward troops. Again, they are used like Termagants: a fast, deadly meat shield. Except this one is capable of destroying both tanks, meqs and swarms with 46 S3 attacks on a charge and another 2 attacks that wound on 2+ from the warlock. In the shooting phase the entire squad can put out a devastating 28 S4 shots, 2 flamer templates and 1 S9 ranged attack. They are pretty powerful, especially when combined with the warlock's enhance.
    Last edited by Shiz_Vaerth; October 30th, 2007 at 14:26.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbinoAlien View Post
    "I am, Shiz_Vaerth! Guardian of Dyren'thya! Keeper of the gateway to the legendary, BLACK LIBRARY! User of the pipes, and wielder of the eternal blade of Dublin"
    Diplomacy: The art of telling someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Join the
    Children of Isha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well they are half the price of a Banshee or Scorpion but that's where the good points end. Four points cheaper than an Avenger but again you lose out on the stats. If I was going to use them then they would have to be maxed out squads or several smaller squads with a warlock in a Wave Serpent, and they would be better with flamers.

Of course if you are playing an Ulthwe theme then, whilst special rules are gone, they are the unit best fitted to the theme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

I've had incredible success with them. But then again, i run them with 100 other guardians. Up to 40 stormies is just fun!

In short, as pointed out repeatedly, your milage may vary.

The cay lay out the hurt, 4 attacks on the charge (pistol shot, 2ccw, charge), assault up to 18" in a turn, can have a 5++rerollable save for dirt cheap, and can take out anything with either 2 flamers or 2 meltas. Plus the warlock can kill high T stuff and armourwith only moderate luck.

plus, now that the avatar grants fearlessness by just being in range, they are awesome.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast