what gear to take on lord against tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what gear to take on lord against tau

hey i am about to battle my friend who plays tau and i just wondering what would be a good lord to feild and what units should i field. i am thinking ten flayed ones 5 sracbs 3 wraiths 5 immortals 20 warriors 3 destroyers any suddgestons?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

My general advice is to rely on fewer unit types but field multiple units of them. 5 immortals will too quickly be destroyed, same for a single unit of wraiths. (By focusing fire the whole units can easily be taken out in a single shooting phase denying any WBB.)
    Against Tau I suggest mobility and lots of AP4 weaponry. I think destroyers and the classical lord-with-veil-and-immortals combo should do fine here. But of course going for close combat (wraiths and flayed ones) is a very viable option too. I would just not mix too much... Try to emphasize either shootiness or assaultiness over the other (and not go fifty-fifty). If you want scarabs then you should make them more than 5. Remember in general that even numbered squads are better in context of casualties (how many the opponent must inflict before your unit stops to count as scoring and before the opponent receives any victory points).

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Tau... no power weapons, and the only thing they have S8+ are railguns... and they wont be targeting infantry.
    For those precise reasons, Tau are the one army against who you dont need a ResOrb.

Units to definitel consider:
    Lord with veil + Immortals

Wraiths (these guys can take almost any tau on in H2H, just try to keep them safe from ranged stuff.

Scarabs, even these guys can take on firewarrior and possibly kroot in combat, a decent sized unit always comes in handy.

Destroyers, mass AP4 firepower is perfect.

Monolith! Ive never lost to tau when deepstriking one of these beauties. Enough said i think...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

realyl can not fault or improve in decievers remarks (rep mate)
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well thanks for suddgestions they sound good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau are all about using mobility to concentrate firepower in one place. Their vehicles can rival the speed of our destroyers and pack a lot of firepower, whether it's in the form of a hammerhead or a devilfish deploying a fire warrior squad at close range. As such, you want large squads to reduce the odds of having an entire unit wiped out in one shooting phase.

Crisis and Stealth suits tend to be powerful firing units that aren't that well protected: most generals rely on JSJ to keep them alive and their model count usually aren't very high. This makes them perfect candidates to be tied up by a scarab swarm or massacred by a Destroyer Lord. I would avoid Wraiths, they're really designed to take on elite assault units and tau don't have many of those.

Kroot do deserve some special mention, though. Their firearms shouldn't worry you much, but they'll do a lot of damage if they assault you; Kroot come in large numbers and get a lot of attacks on a charge. You might be able to handle them by putting warriors or immortals near them to lure them out of cover and then veiling them back out of CC and concentrating firepower on the Kroot. It doesn't take a lot to put Kroot down once you get them out of the trees, but there is still a fair bit of risk involved because Kroot come in large numbers and have a lot of attacks on a charge. Scarab swarms should also do well against them in an assault, at the very least keeping them busy while you address the rest of the army. Of course, you could also just keep everything out of assault range while ignoring them so they have to come out of cover, but a clever general will infiltrate his Kroot to limit your mobility and provide counter assault for his suits.

You can certainly veil Immortals against Tau, but you might better off veiling warriors instead. You should be targetting vehicles and suits first anyway to cut down his mobility and ability to concentrate fire, and immortals won't be any more effective against them than warriors anyway, since his vehicles should all be moving 6+" so you won't get any rear armour penetrating hits. Of course, this assumes you're confident you can veil within rapid fire range consistently. If not, immortals it is.

So, if I was making an anti-Tau list, I'd take big squads of warriors backed up by a Lord w. veil, two units of destroyers if possible, a Destroyer Lord w. warscythe to take down suits, and a unit of scarabs to tie up suits the Lord hasn't reached yet. In larger games, you can use a 'Lith, but make sure you either take out or tie up any broadsides before doing so.
    Dark Eldar: Showing the Chaos gods how to do evil properly since 1998.

Borrowed DH Combat Patrol 1W/0D/0L
    Dark Eldar 1W/0D/3L (partially assembled)
    Necron 1W/0D/0L (I got my 'Crons back!)

Moo is my new personal hero. Click Undefeated Dark Eldar and DE? Good you say? to learn why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Redtwin View Post

So, if I was making an anti-Tau list, I'd take big squads of warriors backed up by a Lord w. veil, two units of destroyers if possible, a Destroyer Lord w. warscythe to take down suits, and a unit of scarabs to tie up suits the Lord hasn't reached yet. In larger games, you can use a 'Lith, but make sure you either take out or tie up any broadsides before doing so.
    Good call on the warscythe. Didn't even think about that, but it really negates the effectiveness of the shield-drone spammers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

i take a lord on destroyer body with gaze of flame and war scythe, and he flies around with 30 scarab bases. since they all count as jetbikes, turbo boost them all right over terrain and everything else, and charge anything you wish on the second turn. can easily tie up all of their crisis suits in a swamp of scarabs while the destroyer lord chops them up with warscythe. its nigh impossible to drop 90 wounds of scarabs that have a 5+ inv save. even with lots of instant kills on them, you will still have more than enough bases left to tie anything up that you need to
    I WANNA GET STUCK IN WIT DA BOYZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

1 Using the Veil of Darkness as an offensive item is (too) risky. One bas scatter and like 300-400 points are gone.
    2 Always hide your Destroyers/Heavy Destroyers behind cover when deploying. They have enough movement to come out of cover and shoot but, make sure they shoot from a safe place. Because most enemies always take out your destroyers first.
    3 Use your destroyers to take out the Stealth Suits. Don't try to do it with infantry, because they don't have enough movement to do it.
    4 You could use your Scarabs to lock a scary unit up for a few turns. If your opponent uses a railhead, make sure he doesn't see you. 1 sub munition round and your whole unit is gone.
    5 I don't have much experience with Kroot but I think you should make sure they don't lock warriors or Immortals in combat. Lock them with your Scarabs/Tomb spiders. (Or shoot the crap out of them when they are in rapid fire range)
    6 I don't know if only 4 flayed ones is a good option. Maybe you should remove 4 warriors and get 4 flayed ones.
    7 Unless you opponent brings rail guns, I think the Warriors need the Lord more. The Immortals should just make sure they are within 18" of a TS..
    MEAT IS MURDER
    Hammerskin
    Nation

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

596 (x8)

To take down my Tau, I would use Destroyers, Scarabs, Destroyer Lord, Lord with Veil and Orb, 20-30 Warriors and a bunch or two of Immortals, plus a Monolith. The firepower from that lot easily rivals the Tau, and with Gauss weaponry's special rules, even the Necron warriors have a chance of taking down the Devilfish and Hammerheads.

Watch for his twin Missile Pod Crisis suits, as they match the range of your Destroyers, plus with the jump-shoot-jump ability, they effectively gain range. The plasma rifles will force you to make the WBB saves, and Railguns will require an Orb for you to try the WBB stuff.

Transport denial will be key to your success, unless your opponent plays Static or Mobile Infantry Tau. In the latter cases, it will be down to attrition, and he will have the added problem of making you fail your WBB rolls.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast