Starting Eldar from scratch, hoping for some advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting Eldar from scratch, hoping for some advice

I just bought the Eldar codex and I intend to buy a good sized Eldar army in one go. It will be my second, following my chaos army.

It is my understanding that putting together an Eldar army that works effectively together is more difficult than with others, which is why I'm wary of buying a bunch of stuff blindly.

Here are some things I'm considering buying.

Farseer and Warlock bodyguard (1 Farseer, 3 warlocks, HQ choice)
    Box of Harlequins (6 models, elites choice)
    2 Boxes of Dire Avengers (2 squads, 20 models, 2 troops choices)
    Box of Rangers (5 models, troops choice)
    Wraithlord
    Falcon grav tank
    Wave Serpent ( maybe 2 or 3 of these )

That leaves two elites choices, a heavy support choice and all fast attack.
    I figure that the above can probably fit a variety of lists, further specialization is what I'm lacking and what I'd like advice about. I'm sure that one of the most obvious answers would be that it depends on how I want to play. But at this point I don't know how I want to play. Instead of making some uneducated decisions myself and learning the hard way I'd rather be guided in the right direction, towards an effective army combination and to learn the strategy and style of play afterwards.

It would be nice if I could buy everything and experiment with it all until I found which units I like, but realistically that is too expensive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

What kind of chaos did you play. We're going to need some more info, we cannot just arbitrarily guess as to what you're used to, which is a major factor in building your army. If you played Iron Warriors, I wouldn't tell you to play a light vehicle list, that sort of thing. Additionally, most of the Autach's here have their own styles of play, each pretty radically different from the other. Broadly, there's mech and footslogging. Under mech, we have semi, totally, or light vehicle lists. Under footslogging, we have the variations of the guardian phalanx, the avatar phalanx, semi-mech, or stand and shoot.
    And with the units you're currently planning on buying, you've got a mix of all of the above. We need a little more info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about the lack of information.

To be perfectly honest I am a newbie. I've played maybe 8 or 9 games.
    I started playing in September, having bought the new Chaos models and codex.
    My style of play hasn't had enough time to really establish itself. I field a lot of infantry, chaos space marine heavy. I also have a land raider, predators and rhinos.
    I tend to either field all my vehicles or none at all, but the core unit remains the same, being the standard chaos space marine.

But with the Eldar army I hope to assemble I'm not reallying trying to play in a similar way to my chaos.

I think I would prefer a foot slogging army. At least initially. I'll probably be playing games in the 1000-1500 point range, and on smaller tables.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Well at your stage of the game the only real choice you have to make is if you want to go totally VP denial or some kind of hybrid foot slogging variety.

VP denial is when we only use units that the enemy pretty much can't come to grips with, at least in melee.

The basic start for something like that would be to get the Eldar Windrider Host, and flesh out only with things that fly. You end up with an army where everything can move 24" if it feels like it and usually moves 12". You have to deliberatly build a list like that becuase if you have a lot of ground units at the same time the enemy will just kill those instead of the khorn berserkers doing absolutly nothing for the whole game. Except for dying maybe in turn 6.

Some people like using a lot of waveserpents. I really don't. The reason being that usually you can only hide 2-3 units that size at the start of a game. If you lose the first turn those exposed serpents are expensive deathtraps.

Otherwise a lot of eldar units just work well together.

For example I love using shining spears and a farseer. The farseer fortunes the spears and they turbo forward(but not into charge range!) They're the closest to the enemy and they're expensive units so the enemy will often pour fire into them.....however they are T4 and have a 3+ invulnerable save with a reroll. They will soak up insane amounts of fire unless the dice gods hate you.

I also like the combination of shining spears and scorps. Scorps all alone tend to get into trouble. Spears alone often just don't have the numbers to win fights. I've found infiltrated scorps and spears work great together.

I suppose aside from VP denial you might want to decide if you want to have the kind of army that gets in your opponents face or the kind that sits back and makes them come to you. Tricks like the 3+ invul rerolling spears work best if there are other targets they could choose to shoot at. Not so much if otherwise they'd be sitting there without fireing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

As a fairly new player myself I'm still learning but from what I've gathered so far, all eldar units need some sort of backup and no single unit can do everything for you.

Dire Avengers are a solid choice. popular choices for them seem to be the dual cats or the power blade shimmer shield depending on what you want them to be doing. Killing things before they reach you or tieing up the more dangerous enemies. I usually back them up with a farseer. doom and guide are popular but all the powers have their uses in certain situations

Rangers- I find these are pretty useful for attracting fire and picking off the monsters but I'd advise using pathfinders rather than higher numbers if you use these. For about the same price as 1 ranger you can upgrade them all to pathfinders and pretty much double their effectiveness (one of my personal favorites)

Harlequins are very popular and seem to tear through evereything they come into contact with. This is one of the most popular choices but a shadowseer is a must in this unit and the death jester is a very unpopular choice

My advice for fast attack: Warp spiders are utterly amazing and flexible if you are willing to use a bit of risk. I take an autarch with them with fusion gun and power blade and I always give the exarch power blades incase they find it nessecary to charge in and use that wonderfully high initiative.

For the heavy support- just make sure you know what you want them to do. Mixing roles for these just makes them less effective.

well there is all I got, as I said I'm still new but I know what's worked for me best of luck with your army

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Alright, footslogging on smaller tables, hopefully with normal amounts of terrain. Perfect.
    First buy: Avatar. He's going to be the fearless core of all of the men that you field. He's pretty much essential in a mostly-all footslogging army. Next buy would be dire avengers to fill out your troop choices. Harlequins for elites, and wraithlords for heavy support. You'll basically have a modified phalanx that's rock-hard and can take fire and give it out in equal measure. I'd recommend some warp spiders as well, just to keep a flanking unit around.

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mongooseo has given you good advice, I'd just like to add that harley aren't gonna kill everything for you so add some scorpions. Harleys also need a shadowseer otherwise they're pretty useless (if you dont put them in a falcon that is, although that's not a very good idea)
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

+ Reply to Thread