To kill a falcon. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

To kill a falcon.

I ask you all this simple question.

I played a game against a friend today and all I had to do was to kill his falcon that was sitting on objective (this was the final unit he had and I had four or five assault and vet assault units shooting and assaulting it). With the load of glancings I had on it not once could i take it down. Having to roll two glancing dice and taking the lowest makes the thing near impossible.

So I come to you wondering, Am I missing something here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member eldratch the fallen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Harvey View Post
    I ask you all this simple question.

I played a game against a friend today and all I had to do was to kill his falcon that was sitting on objective (this was the final unit he had and I had four or five assault and vet assault units shooting and assaulting it). With the load of glancings I had on it not once could i take it down. Having to roll two glancing dice and taking the lowest makes the thing near impossible.

So I come to you wondering, Am I missing something here?
    the big thing i notice is that if he is holding an objective does that mean he did not move?

otherwise
    yes falcons are horrible to face on the feild of battle but just be thankful there wasnt more.

as you are a SM player id suggest a dev squad with 4 misssle launchers or making sure you have more melta bombs on assault squads.

dont give up though its not hard to take one down
    I love Pathfinders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

If it was indeed just sitting there, you should have had no problem taking it down - pen only becomes glancing if it moves. Other than that, in a last turn effort like that, just hitting it with everything you got and pray that you can take it down.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

I'll guess the deal was that he moved the falcon right on top of the objective on turn six. Giving you one chance to put it down.

My first piece of advice is not to let the eldar player get away with that, get a unit of your own there ahead of time.

We all love to do that though. Some of us will even let you go first and then when you think you've won we'll use 24-36" moves at the end of turn 6 and take all the objectives from half a board away.

As for killing a falcon to a degree you just have to hit it a lot. Kinda the same as we often have to do against MEQ units. Every glancing hit you get has a 1 in 9 chance of downing the bird.

Getting into its rear armor helps. Also if they aren't using it as a trasport you can just glance it every turn and move on to other targets as the falcon is really easy to glance. You might very well take it out that way if the dice like you and if not it won't be able to affect the battle much.

Just don't leave the objective open.

And if he ever doesn't move over 6" for any reason the autoglance rule goes away and you can safely vaporize them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x3)

So yes... It was my turn 6 so I had one unit on the objective and one unit in front of that prempting the Falcons tank shock 24" move. (please note that the whole game I was shooting it with no luck) The 5th turn I assaulted it with everything I had (2 meltas in close, a p/fist on the side and a t/hammer on the rear.. plus 6 or so other vet assaulters on the rear) not doing anything, then in the tank shock I shot a melta (not stunning it due to your version of extra armour and the "pick the lowest of two") and a melta bomb on it. Then the following turn (turn 7 due to random game length) i hit it with three squads worth but due to it moving in its last turn only glanced with so many and then the highest result was a stunned (due to to your version of extra armour and the "pick the lowest of two")

It takes lascannons and meltas in it wake all for like 198pts... its safer than a Land Raider.

Senior Member eldratch the fallen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Harvey View Post

It takes lascannons and meltas in it wake all for like 198pts... its safer than a Land Raider.
    not true
    a falcon can go down to plasma cannons and autocannons
    remeber it is only AV12 and AV10 on back. anti infantry weapons can cause headaches for falcons.

top tip: shoot with everything S6+
    I love Pathfinders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by eldratch the fallen View Post
    not true
    a falcon can go down to plasma cannons and autocannons
    remeber it is only AV12 and AV10 on back. anti infantry weapons can cause headaches for falcons.

top tip: shoot with everything S6+
    Good point, lots of fire.
    A particular lacking in my assault orientated Blood Angel army. (in saying that it did get shot alot...)

Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Eh, fully kitted out Falcons are tough to take down. As long as you're facing one, you should be good if you either pour fire into it, or pour fire into everything else. But more than one... bleh, that gets tough.

Peruse the Warseer thread about Falcons at risk to your sanity. I might post a link later.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Assaulting falcons is usually a poor choice unless they have vectored engines and they're already on the ground.

If you have bolter armed troops you'd often do better moving and firing into its rear armor with the bolters than trying to hit with a power fist. Sometimes even bolt pistol units would do better standing and shooting, especially if you took plasma pistol upgrades. You'd have to do the math for different situations.

Tank shock is rough, but falcons can't shove heavier vehicles.

You also may want to watch out for another classic eldar move against more CCish armies. Which is to try and neutralize the things that pose the biggest threat to our falcons in the early turns. Then in the late turns we're free to jump up and down on you with the things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperialis_Dominatus View Post
    Peruse the Warseer thread about Falcons at risk to your sanity. I might post a link later.
    Thanks, I'd be interested in the read.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    Assaulting falcons is usually a poor choice unless they have vectored engines and they're already on the ground.
    Unless you were as desperate as I and had to do everything and anything to get it down

Tank shock is rough, but falcons can't shove heavier vehicles.
    This is what I should have thought about doing. I had a BAAL predator lurking and shooting the back armour, I sent it after the Farseer (by going one way round the building it meant he was all the BAAL could see) when he should have charged into the objective or pushed the falcon off it.

You also may want to watch out for another classic eldar move against more CCish armies. Which is to try and neutralize the things that pose the biggest threat to our falcons in the early turns. Then in the late turns we're free to jump up and down on you with the things.
    Lol. this is what I do with my GK's Landraider Crusaders

:drinking: Well I was hoping there was going to be something that I missed.... something like "you can only glance a skimmer" is negated in close combat...

Thanks for all your advice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast