help getting started - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help getting started

My friend just gave me his eldar codex and my other friend gave me a box set of guardians. I guess my onliy questions now are:
    1)how can i get better at painting? I dont wanna screw up my eldar army and im a really bad painter.
    2)what units are good for taking on tyranids?
    3)what tools will I need in general? i have never really had good modeling tools to begin with i only have a knife some brushes and a filer.
    4)any advice for a noob?
    thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOD99 View Post
    1)how can i get better at painting? I dont wanna screw up my eldar army and im a really bad painter.
    Patience. Patience. Patience.
    Take a long time, like 2 hours to paint a single guardian. Watch a film or something like scrubs as you watch - so you're relaxed. Don't rush, and be prepared to put in the work.

I only started getting results once I slowed right down and took my time.

I'll leave this to the experts but...
    skimmers are a nightmare for nids. They are almost (not totally, but almost) impossible to take down in CC, and nids don't have enough guns to really push holofields.

big bugs are easily taken down by.. pretty much anything in the eldar army, and a dire avenger squad with storm of blades will cut down any gaunt group.

3)what tools will I need in general? i have never really had good modeling tools to begin with i only have a knife some brushes and a filer.
    I'd recommend some clippers to remove things neatly from sprues.

4)any advice for a noob?
    Get into the habit of cleaning mould lines away from your model very early on.
    Also, get into the habit of pinning metal models early on too.

If they become like second nature to you, you'll have an easier time of it later.

Also, remember, this hobby is here to have fun. So take your time, relax and enjoy it.

If you lost, remember it's just a game! It's not real! ^__^

Good luck, and welcome aboard.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

Welcome to the hobby.
    1) For tips on painting and modelling, I suggest you check out those forums - people there will be able to give you much better advice. As far as tips from me go:
    - Always undercoat and basecoat.
    - Don't use too much paint - several thin coats give a much better finish than 1 thick one
    - Be patient and take your time
    - Clean your brushes regularly and keep them moist when using them
    - Drybrushing is easy and it can make your models look pretty cool
    2) For taking on tyranids consider war walkers, dire avengers etc. If your new read the codex thoroughly - at least 4 times - ask any questions you may have and then post a few lists on this site for the helpful forum-dwellers to advise.
    3) The main tools I use are a hobby knife - preferably one with replaceable blades; plastic glue; super glue; a fine file; pin vice and drill set (although this isn't needed straight away it comes in handy with conversions and pinning metal models); clippers (important for getting plastic off the sprue; and a variety of brushes
    4) Read the codex. Read the rules. Reread the codex and rules untill they start to make sense. Play as many games as you can and don't be afraid to ask questions. The dice will go against you at times and don't be upset if your favourite unit gets shot down/chopped up/fails to perform - it happens to everyone. Most importantly though, have fun.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

My modeling advice is to use weakened superglue, rubber cement or something along those lines to allow you to later swap out weapons. For example with those guardians you have to choose what platform weapon to use. Paint up all the weapons and weakly attach whichever you choose. Alowing you to change your mind later.

I've found falcons(and I presume fire prisms) work well against nids. They often lack great long ranged anti vehicle firepower. Flacons can usually soak up what they do have while taking the threat in question out, then they are free to stomp all over units like genestealers who have no way at all to down a falcon that keeps its distance. Other highly evasive units tend to do well.

Of course some people prefir to fight Imperial guard style with lots of guardians, dire avengers, and walkers where you're hoping to wipe them out with firepower before they overrun your lines.

Most likely you'll be somewhere in the middle like me. Spread out the units that can't avoid the nids forever and have them fire for all they're worth. Shift somewhat mobile/longer range units if possible to try and overwhelm part of the advance so part of your line stays intact(likely sacrificing the other half).

In the meantime mobile or free units should be taking out targets of opportunity and helping to stopping the advance, but always trying to remove anything that could hurt them in the endgame.

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against Nid? a unit of dragons in a serpent 3 units of DA in a serpent, a falcon or 2 game over when you compare lists.
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was playing against Tyranids the other day. I think i just got really lucky my Rangers kept on pinning the forward units, i used dark reapers to take as many out from range while my vyper,falcon and jetbikes screemed round the table weakening squads all the time.

Then my Gaurdian sqaud and Farseer layed in with guided shuri catapults. My friend said to me before hand was to keep them out of ccat all costs. So i had to use Jetbikes as a bit of a speedbump.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks guys hopefully i can start off on the right foot with all this info.

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting the perfect way is a couple of dire avenger squads and a farseer, cant go wrong with those units. go in any list.
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOD99 View Post
    My friend just gave me his eldar codex and my other friend gave me a box set of guardians. I guess my onliy questions now are:
    Hi and welcome, I would recomend looking at the stickies at the top of the painting forum, you will find links to excelent advice there, far more comprehensive than the good stuff you have recieved thus far
    Pretty much anything, really, honestly!

on the other hand how long is a piece of string?

so what sort of army do you want? decide that and we can tell you what the nid killers are, it would help if you have a specific style of nid army in mind, nidzilla armies can present different challenges from stealer lists and hoard armies
    [quote]
    craft knife and brushes and probably a pair of clippers are all you need to start
    4)any advice for a noob?
    thanks guys.
    patience is a virtue, but for my money the best advice was in the old eldar codex.. "ask not a question of the eldar, for they will give you three answers, all true and each horrifying to know"
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread