necron power gaming - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

necron power gaming

Hey guys, I'm back from a long break from warhammer. I started playing around with my necrons and played against some of my friends.

My question: How can Necrons power game.

One of my friends plays eldar, and can use 3 falcons and 3 wave serpants. the falcons are damn near invincable, and are scoring units. I just think this is rediculous. I thought about it, and i couldnt think of a way necrons could be that cheesy.

3 monoliths would be really good, but they're really expensive, and i dont think they're as hard to kill as falcons. I just don't know how necrons can compete with an eldar list like that.

<-- that room over there in my avatar is full of people who think you are funny...BURN...

"There are some who call me...Tim?" - Tim the Enchanter

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

I've heard people complain about all Destroyer armies. You could try 3 squads of 5xDestroyers, 2 squads of 3xHeavy Destroyers, 1 Monolith (Deep Strike), and 1 or 2 Immortals squads as support for the body of Warriors. Throw in a VoD/RO Lord for support and use the Monolith for "recycling".

You give that a try, though, this type of list may not work against all those skimmers.

Mass shots is probably the best way to deal with those. For this you need lots of Warriors and lots of Immortals (this is often considered beardy as well) with 1 or 2 Monoliths to DS and move squads about the field. Scarabs might have a place in this build, but necessarily.

Or....you could ask your friends if they could play more diverse army builds. Cheese is fun some of the time, not regularly.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by aufde View Post
    Hey guys, I'm back from a long break from warhammer. I started playing around with my necrons and played against some of my friends.

My question: How can Necrons power game.

One of my friends plays eldar, and can use 3 falcons and 3 wave serpants. the falcons are damn near invincable, and are scoring units. I just think this is rediculous. I thought about it, and i couldnt think of a way necrons could be that cheesy.

3 monoliths would be really good, but they're really expensive, and i dont think they're as hard to kill as falcons. I just don't know how necrons can compete with an eldar list like that.
    Warriors, warriors, scarabs, and warriors. Leave out the monoliths, as they will be killed and don't add much to an anti mech eldar list.

Not a fun list to play, or play against, but very effective.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Depends on the size of game. Standard 1500 I'd assume? In that case tarzen has an idea of what he's talking about. :happy:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I have fun with my warriors warriors, and more warriors lists.

Then again, I usually only take about half my points in warriors, not all of them.

How is taking tons of warriors and immortals beardy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Zaraky View Post
    How is taking tons of warriors and immortals beardy?
    I've seen 3 squads of 10xImmortals called cheese before. This may be because it is perceived as unimaginative. After Destroyers, Immortals are one of the best units in the Necron arsenal.

Tons of Warriors really aren't beardy and the nice thing is that they will be affective against those skimmers, that's why everyone is mentioning them. Now, couple those with maxed Immortals and you might here some complaining.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

Whenever I want to powergame against an opponent, I will fill the entire list with huge blocks of Warriors. Two basic Lords with Orbs and the rest is all Warriors.

Boring? yes. Maddeningly effective? oh, yes.

...well...except against shooters who have range...

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one made me laugh

I know that necrons are considered a newcomer army. An army where you cant really screw up, and will always have a decent W/L ratio. While that statement is entirely true, in the hands of a seasoned gamer, Necrons will utterly wreck their opponents. I occasionally power game my crons, stack my list with two squads of 5 destroyers, a squad of wraiths, lord~immortal combo, and the rest, just warriors.

Losing is never fun, but heres something to pick your spirits up . Oh, its real nice, got it at target; it was on sale.
    Last edited by Lost Nemesis; November 6th, 2007 at 01:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

I agree that Necrons are largely considered a rookie's army, the inexperienced player's army, the girlfriend's army, etc.

The Necrons have two strengths, the first of which is entirely apparent: serious resilience and extreme speed. The second strength does not rear its head until one encounters more advanced Necron players.

However, the Necrons' two major weaknesses cannot be effectively overcome and against advanced opponents, generally find themselves with quite a challenge. These weaknesses being the lack of any true hand-to-hand ability and a lack of variety.

All things being equal, an experienced player would probably prefer to play against an equally skilled Necron player rather than an equally skilled Space Marine or Eldar player.

But of course this thread is about power-gaming and experienced players don't power-game, do they?

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Crons a noob army?? hah. Personally they have just as much tactical edge as other armies, its just harder to see at first. Infact they are probably one of the more difficult armies to use well and properly as their dex is older (see below)

Although i do think Crons are one of the hardest lists to powergame with, mainly because their Codex is old and GW havent had a chance to give them a nice new screwed around with broken Dex yet. Give them time...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast