to tau or not to tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to tau or not to tau

i was thinking of starting a tau army and i was thinking of getting a battlesuit heavy list and i was wondering if this could work any advice on the tau would be greatly appreciated.;Y

Note. i am a experianced player so i know the tau basics or at least i think i do they shoot and scoot and get chooped into idi mini pieces in assult am i right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah thats a pretty fair assumption I'd say!!

I run a pretty heavy XV8 list. I use 2 HQ's a 3 man team of Deathrains (TL missle pods and target array) and a 3 man team of TL plasma rifles with Target Array (burning eye maybe??) I also have the option for dropping my 6 man stealth team for either another 3 man teamof eitehr depending on what I'm going up against.

I think they work pretty well to be honest.

as long as you've got a couple of XV88's and a hammerhead or two and a couple of teams of firewarriors in devilfish you should be good to handle pretty much anything.

well I've not had a problem yet to be honest.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by xsickpeoplex View Post
    yeah thats a pretty fair assumption I'd say!!

I run a pretty heavy XV8 list. I use 2 HQ's a 3 man team of Deathrains (TL missle pods and target array) and a 3 man team of TL plasma rifles with Target Array (burning eye maybe??) I also have the option for dropping my 6 man stealth team for either another 3 man teamof eitehr depending on what I'm going up against.
    sorry to critique on your setup xsickpeoplex but, i find that a 3 man team of deathrains a little overdoing it just for 6 tl shots at BS3. just a single 'suit has more of a tactical survivability with just the TLMP on it's own, so it can survive much more with the IC status. thus freeing you up more points for differently equipped squads.

the TLPR is weird as well (to me at least), why splash out loads of points on just 3 shots (6 if within 12", still that's pretty suisidal). you can swap this setup for the Fireknife (PR, MP MT) for a lot more shots and tactical versatility, as these guys are able to combat anything from MEQ's to light vehicles.

you can have different setups to each member of the squad, of which would make them much more flexible on the field of battle to combat almost any threat that they are likely to encounter.

-Kai-Itza-

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

@ac addict: Before going down the line of "battlesuit heavy", it would be a good plan for you to choose what *style* of Tau army it is that you will play. Mech Tau will see many battlesuits and Vehicles. Static Tau has fewer vehicles (obviously), but can still make use of a number of XV8s. A Mobile Infantry version uses many suits and few FW teams, with the odd vehicle or two. (For an excellent article on Mobile Infantry Tau, check out this article: http://advancedtautactica.com/viewto...obile+infantry

and Hybrid is a fair amount of Footsloggers and a fair amount of mobile stuff including some vehicles.

As you can see, most of these choices will allow you a good representation of XV8s, but it will save you a lot of money if you choose a playstyle to go along with the XV8s!

The ultimate XV8-heavy army is of course a Farsight Enclave list. You can have up to 20 suits in that one.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Itza View Post
    sorry to critique on your setup xsickpeoplex but, i find that a 3 man team of deathrains a little overdoing it just for 6 tl shots at BS3. just a single 'suit has more of a tactical survivability with just the TLMP on it's own, so it can survive much more with the IC status. thus freeing you up more points for differently equipped squads.

the TLPR is weird as well (to me at least), why splash out loads of points on just 3 shots (6 if within 12", still that's pretty suisidal). you can swap this setup for the Fireknife (PR, MP MT) for a lot more shots and tactical versatility, as these guys are able to combat anything from MEQ's to light vehicles.

you can have different setups to each member of the squad, of which would make them much more flexible on the field of battle to combat almost any threat that they are likely to encounter.

-Kai-Itza-
    IC status? so your using your HQ as a deathrain? surely a monat XV8 elite suit isn't an IC.

i totally disagree too. I mean i have a 3 man team of deathrains....thats 6 BS4 TL strength 7 shots with 42" range using JSJ that pretty much seem to hit 4 times every round. and I don't eve really lose them. jumping in and out of cover and they can pretty much kill any AV12 or under vehicles whenever they fire. they are great at stunning falcons too. it means that I can engage enemy heavy armour in the first turn with my railguns while taking out transports with my TL mp's.

as for fireknives I'm not gonna use something that i can't get a decent hit rate. i use my TL plasma with my HQ. they usually sweep up one flank and when they hit something it usually doesn't get back up. fireknives are missing 50% of the time. i agree they arent cheap and people don't like to use that many suits but thats what got me into Tau. i'd rather lose in style having fun and playing aggressive Tau than sit back and chill my boots and wait to grab the objective last turn.

You say that my suits aren't flexible but they are. I can use both units together to form a 6 man super fireknife unit. or they can go hunt TEQ's and transports. or go MC killing and transport hunting. or TLPR team can go messing about with one of my HQ's while the deathrains form a solid firebase from range.

last night for instance my HQ (pr/F and 3 TLPRs took out a wave serpant carrying 5 wraithguard by jumping from behind a building to the rear of the serpant. HQ took it out first shot with his FB and then the burning eye wipeout the wraithguard. sweet times. points pid for. plus it stopped those wraithguard from taking out my team of 2 hammerhead that controlling the board through 2 firelines either side of a building.
    all the while my deathrain team were stunning the balls out of 2 falcons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanx i think i might go for the 20 suit one cant get enough of em;Y if you have any mnore info on that itd be really healpful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't overdue the suits. They're appealing, but they simply don't put out enough shots.

Honestly, I'd say don't start out with a Farsight list.

5+ \ 0 \ 0 - 3'000+ Pts - Dal'yth Sept

0 \ 0 \ 0 - Work In Progress - Hive Fleet Hammerhead

0 \ 0 \ 0 - WIP

Victory \ Draw \ Defeat

Credit to Legionnaire for the bars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal_Carrot View Post
    Don't overdue the suits. They're appealing, but they simply don't put out enough shots.

Honestly, I'd say don't start out with a Farsight list.
    agreed. i wouldn't use any more than 8 XV8 suits I think!!

2 HQs....dont take a bodyguard you wanna maintain your IC status.

i tend to use 2 teams of 3 suits....1 team of deathrain and a team of burning eye

I also tend to role with a team of 6 stealth too.

i think even that is more suits than most people would use!

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Even though it was my post which mentioned the Farsight Enclave with 20 XV8s, I would have to agree with Illegal_Carrot and say *don't* start with a FSE. There are restrictions placed on what can be taken in such an army; you need to know how to compensate for the restrictions and the only way to do that is to learn how to play a standard Tau army first.

This is not saying that you couldn't manage it, so please don't take any offence as none was intended! It's just that the Tau army is a more complex one than many folk think, and it is definitely better to learn to walk before trying to run. Mind you, running with a Farsight List is great crack!

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok thanks for all this stuff:party2:

ill be gettin codex tomorrow and a couple of fw sqauds a commander and 2 crisis

+ Reply to Thread