versus dark eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

versus dark eldar

just wanted to know what strategies and units you guys thought would be best for taking out our corrupted evil brethren

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Actaully I'd almost say "don't bother" I try to make my lists go after MEQ and I've never had trouble with dark eldar.

Our tanks (falcons, prisms) are great becuase DE often fail to bring sufficiant long range anti tank to the table. Or they think they did but it's all on their balsa wood vehicles. Focus on taking the units with long range anti tank weapons down, drop any bikers with blasters and then mop up the rest of the army from a distance.

Really in general we're well suited to take them down. It's easy for our units to get S6 multishot weaponry and their vehicles and models really don't handle that well.

Also if you can keep them out of melee it's really an oportunity for dire avengers to shine. They can rip up darklance toting ground troops and they'll drop a raider pretty well to. Actually one of the arrangements that we might have the hardest time with is six squads of dark lance warriors on the ground. So DA could be a good addition.

But usually DE seem to focus on getting into close combat, and we're mobile enough to make that really hard for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but if you play on terrain heavy boards like i do it is often hard to stop them getting into combat completely that coupled with a Webway portal could ruin your strategy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Maybe I should just sit in the corner and cackle evilly. Ok, I'll stop.
    Solution: Jetbikes. They're fast, they shoot a lot, and we DE don't like them. We also hate vypers, and sometimes falcons. We laugh at prisms.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Yeah, falcons would be better against DE. Lots shots and still a serious threat after a weapon destroyed result.

Playing on a heavy terrain board would of course skew things in their favor. While playing on a little to no terrain board could result in a virtual turn one loss for them if you go first, depending on what they have.

On the note of jetbikes. Unlike other races, their bikes have a 4 armor save. So I presume they no likey destructor on warlock jetbikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x1)

Low leadership models: Mind War his Archon, make his warriors run in fear

Low save, low toughness models: Want to destroy an entire sniper warrior unit? Squelch a bunch of wyches?Fire prism.

Low AV OPEN TOPPED transport: Anything short of a grot blaster can potentially take one down. Focus firepower, knock the cardboard car out of the sky, everyone is pinned and ripe for pickin'/ has to footslog the rest of the way

Lack of (relatively) long ranged weaponry: Stay outside 36" and you're untouchable.

Final D/L? I'm liking Dire Avengers. A lot of them. Multiple shot, high STR weapons are scary, as are Fire Prisms. Here, I don't think they're overrated at all.

This doesn't take into account the REALLY curveball DE tactics, which I personally like to do just to mess people up, such as deepstriking raiders and pinning EVERYTHING in sight (a reasonably easy thing to do- 12 pinning weapons in 1000 pts).

Against webway portal armies, hit the carrier hard and fast (obviously). If he does get the portal down, try to spend a turn turboboosting bikes on top of the portal, so he can't use it. Otherwise, just be careful by spacing your shooty units well away from the portal and pounding away at anything that comes out.

Mandrakes may be an issue, but only for a turn or two (because of Hidden Deployment rule). They're not tough enough for a prolonged assault, but are enough to tie up a unit from shooting. However, they do nothing at ALL to vehicles. Thus, I continue to advocate the FP.

I feel as though I am cheating my fellow DE players, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Wyches effectively neuter most of our hand to hand troups (damn wych weapons). Harlequins can still be crazily effective, and dire avengers shine (defend and skimmer shield balances the playing field). Basic strategy is to take out there ravagers and then focus on there transports. An Avatar works really well at slaughtering there units, wraithlords are good at adding numbers to the combat resolution but don't have an invulnerable save and can't dish much damage in hth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't get into the numbers game

The times I've been defeated by DE its been when I lost sight of the objectives and focused on killing as many DE as possible.

That can be impossible if they bring the horde.

The basic strategy I follow that works most of the time is to go for the objective early en mass. Once my opponent either tries and fails to dig me out of it, or decides to go after a different objective I move on to the next closest (if applicable).

Most DE players are clever enough to know people are gunning for their elites and will do what they can to protect them. However, they also often rely on their HQ and a couple of elite units to do most of their dirty work. Pay close attention during set-up to find their HQ and HVY raiders and tag them first. That alone will severely hamper their strategy.

That usually works. Like I said, when I lose its when I look at the array of DE against me, say "how am I going to kill all that?" and forget to stick to my plan. When I win its usually when I pop his HQ and elite transports, dig in on the objective, and let him come to me.

good luck!
    Have fun,

Frank

"Orcs are what happens when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grow old and bitter."

+ Reply to Thread