Spoilt for choice... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spoilt for choice...

Its been a while since I bought anything for my Eldar army, but next weekend I'm going to be buying something, but I have no idea what to get...
    My original choices were either warp spiders, harlequins or fire dragons.
    But now my regular opponent has pointed out that I have a problem with only having one unit of everything I have and he recommends getting another unit of something I already have.
    If anyone can give me their two cents on whether to expand with more choice or more of one thing than that would be appreciated!

Oh, and I will only be buying one box of miniatures, but if I get enough good advice I may stretch to two boxes....

Herald of the Colonel; Festooned with pistols, riddled with vermin, and finger lickin' good...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't have Harlequins, get some of them. One box of six is enough to operate as an extremely nasty cc squad (especially when you run them out of a tooled-up Falcon). Alternately, get a box of six and a shadowseer blister (and maybe another blister of Harlies, they come in packs of two) and you can run them across the board and tear things up without needing a falcon at all.

Warp Spiders and Fire Dragons also work well in small groups (dragons particularly). That said, your opponent may, generally speaking, be right. Most units work better if they're pumped up a bit numerically -- and it's definitely easier to co-ordinate your army.

What's your favourite unit (out of the ones you currently run)?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

You might want to post your army list for best advice.

Regardless it makes a big deal whether we're talking about you haveing a bunch of units at partial strength. Like say having 5 banshees or scorps. Or if you have full strength units and your friend thinks that you should have, say, two units of 10 scorps instead of a full unit of scorps and a unit of something else.

In the case of the former more likely than no you'd do best getting more models to fill out you unit. In the case of the latter getting something new is likely fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, roughly heres what I have already;

HQ - Eldrad, 1 Farseer, 1 Autarch, ~10 warlocks
    Elites - 6 Banshees w Exarch, 7 Scorpions w Exarch,
    Troops - ~36 Guardians w 2 heavy platforms (all weapons avaliable), 10 Storm Guardians, 8 Dire Avengers w Exarch, 6 Jetbikes, 13 Rangers,
    Fast - 6 Hawks w Exarch
    Heavy - 2 Wraithlords, 7 Reapers w 1 or 2 Exarch(s), 1 Falcon
    Plus a Wave serpent

I'm pretty sure thats everything. As you can see apart from the guardians and possibly the rangers/reapers, its one unit each.

@ sunnyside, I would still rather have 2 half strength units than one full strength for tactical flexibility e.g. 2 units of 5 scorps can charge 2 separate units, hold 2 objectives and are easier to infiltrate/hide in 2 different places...
    Herald of the Colonel; Festooned with pistols, riddled with vermin, and finger lickin' good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ajay29 View Post
    @ sunnyside, I would still rather have 2 half strength units than one full strength for tactical flexibility e.g. 2 units of 5 scorps can charge 2 separate units, hold 2 objectives and are easier to infiltrate/hide in 2 different places...
    However your infiltrate costs twice as much, your cc power weakens if they are not fighting the same enemy squad and they are easily outnumbered by almost any cc squads out there. With the models you have i say go for aditional box of scorpions, or banshees, or both and pump both squads to 10-men.
    Primary army: Eldar.
    Secondary army: Chaos.
    http://ikian.myminicity.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

OK, here's my two bits...

The way I see it, your army seems to be lacking in Fast Attack or other speedy units. You may consider, in my declining order of preferrence :

1. Harlequins with ShadowSeer (I agree with Grimm...). Er..., I know, they're not Fast Attack, but they're fast !!!

2. Vypers would leverage your Wraithlords - Falcon - Wave Serpent : they would either draw fire away from them, or be left to rampage on your enemy's flank...

3. Shining Spears ? I must say I have no experience with them yet, I'm currently building a unit, plus Autarch... It seems from forums that they are just awesome...

4. I have found Warp Spiders to be more resilient than Hawks... I use them with an Autarch + Fusion Gun to pop tanks, dreadnoughts... It works...

5. 10 Fire Dragons. Don't bother about an Exarch.

6. Fill your Banshee unit to 10, to make good use of your Wave Serpent.

Hope this helps...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Actually out of the people around here I get using smaller units more than most. For example I split up my DA units, which is heresy to some.

There is also a lot to be said for getting a small unit just to get at a good option it can take. Back in the day any non black unit of guardians I had would be minimum sized as they're just there as ablative armor for the starcannon they were toting around.

However there are other factors outside of our troop options.

For one thing often our FOC slots get tight. You're aleady seeing this with your heavy choices. You could field multiple minimally sized reaper units, but then you lose out on the option to field another wraithlord or falcon.

Also if you're going to put a unit in a serpent you are already paying a lot for the transport, it then is a good idea to fill the thing full of guys. Of course if you plan to cart a unit in a falcon that doesn't apply.

Also with scorps you have to pay extra for the infiltrate and move through cover rules. And usually you need numbers in their fights. Also all the regular guys keep the exarc alive longer. What I'm saying is that while you'd get two nifty exarcs if you're using 2 scorp units instead of one they're going to cost a lot more and fewer casualties on either would be required to take down an exepensive exarc. Also you'd usually not want to deploy them seperatly.

If you didn't have plans for the other FOC slot and weren't infiltrating the scorps than two small squads might be better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the other reason that i like my smaller squads is that, if needs be, the falcon can pick them up/drop them off, whereas the serpent has to be designated to a squad...

Im still swinging towards the harlequins and spiders, but now i realise im going to need a full squad of either of them. So a box and two blisters (or a blister + shadowseer for harlequins) should suffice.

Also @ MurekZar, I used my jetbikes as proxy Shining Spears in a recent Apoc game, and they really did rule; 3 turns - 3 dead Land Raiders, they are worth their weight in gold!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Im still swinging towards the harlequins and spiders, but now i realise im going to need a full squad of either of them. So a box and two blisters (or a blister + shadowseer for harlequins) should suffice.
    For your information, I field a unit of 6 Harlequins (1 ShadowSeer w/ Kiss, 1 TroupeMaster w/ Power Weapon, 4 Harlequins w/ Kisses). They've done extremely well. My regular opponents now fear them more than the 10 Banshees with Exarch I used to have.

They normally take down any unit in two turns at most, including ICs. They are also a serious threat to vehicles, due to their rending attacks (risk to the Harlie is of course to blow up the vehicle and suffer wounds...)

So : 6 is enough (with ShadowSeer, a must in my opinion!).

There is however a valid argument for adding up to 4 models for ablative wounds, normally without Kisses (to keep point cost down, AND to limit risk of being sitting duck close to enemy lines after a single Eldar assault turn...)

Also @ MurekZar, I used my jetbikes as proxy Shining Spears in a recent Apoc game, and they really did rule; 3 turns - 3 dead Land Raiders, they are worth their weight in gold!
    Thx! Good to have that confirmed...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Careful about using one instance, good or bad, as a basis for a choice.

In shooting with the proper exarc upgrades the exarc has a 5 in 36 chance of glancing a raider and a 5/18 chance of penetrating. The other four guys have a 1 in 9 chance of getting a clancing hit each. Making the odds of doing nothing 36.4% for shooting. Of course a lot of the "something" results are glancing hits that a raider could often ignore. Odds of straight up blowing it up with shooting would be only 22.2%

On the charge I don't believe the lance rule applies anymore. So you're just hoping that your exarc rolls a 6 to hit on a moving raider and another 6 to glance. You hope it doesn't come to that.

Still I've really liked my spears. I'd like to try them more against MEQ. But even against other armies I've played they're great. For example against tau you can bury the spears into a fire warrior or stealth unit that happens to be to close to your lines wounding them. Then on your next turn withdraw and plow into those broadsides or crisis suits they thought were safely behind their lines. I couple mine with a fortuning farseer, so unless a powerweapon gets involved I very rarely lose one in melee. And if it's only a single powerweapon I can often force the opponent to use it on the farseer by controlling base to base contact, and they always have a 4+ invul (with fortune reroll) and they can take a couple wounds.

+ Reply to Thread