Orks orks orks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orks orks orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orks orks orks

Every week several of us gather at the local GW store and play in a kind of friendly campaign with 1500 pts. One of those players plays speed freaks. Since there are so few people here playing orks I don't have much experience playing them. But I have played this speed freak player several times now, to which I lost each time. And it wasn't just a loss, it was pretty embarrassing. Because of all the players that assemble I make a general list to take most armies, which I do very well with the exception of the orks.

My list consisted of:
    Archite w/ punisher, Thelm, Combat drugs, SF, plasma grenades, animus
    Drachite w/agoniser, plasma grenades, pistol, combat drugs
    two 8 man wych sqauds w/ succubus, agoniser, raider, ww, and grenades
    two 14 man warrior squads w/ syrabite, agoniser, blaster x 2, splinter cannon x 2
    A sniper sqaud of 10 warriors with two lances
    Two ravagers w/ 2 dissies each
    Two 3 man reaver squads with blasters

The ork player starts with nothing but vehicles. There is absolutely nothing for me to charge other then vehicles. I am not entirely sure what all the vehicle names are. He has two zappa's and 4 vehicles that fire twinlinked rokktis for anti vehicles. I make them highest priorty. But then he has 4 more vehicles that fire burna's, and a looted hellhound torching my warriors. And the custom force field just added to the pain. I thought about shooting transports so I could save my wyches but he would always shield them with rokkits and other trukks. The only time his troops had to get out of the vehicle was when my reavers managed to down a transport. His warboss on a bike just drove around in the back so i couldn't charge it.

The last game I played him I did use a WWP, but the result was the same. This is my rant, any tips would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First things first, recognize that you're facing a mechanized army. That means you have to either a) go mechanized as well, allowing you to pick the terms of when and where the battle will take place, or you have to take away his mechanized ability i.e. go tank-busting, but this will hurt you ability against other armies. My advice is to go mobile, which is DEs biggest strength anyway.

First things first, drop the two big warrior squads and the WWPs. WWPs are only useful if you build an entire army around them. Second, add another sniper squad and a talos. Now place the two sniper squads and the talos in a nice piece of terrain that gives them a good view. If he tries to send in the hellhound or the burna buggies, you have a talos ready to jump out and rip them to shreds. Also keep in mind that, while only s4, the talos sting gets a free shot at the first 6 models within 24", and can still glance everything but the heelhound on a 6. This set-up should also work on almost all other armies as your tankbusters now have a strong helper.

Second, increase the size of your reaver squads and add a kitted-out succubus. These can now serve a dual role of running up the sides to take down his zzap guns or double team his trukk squads. Fly both squads up on either side of his trukk, pop the truck with the four blasters, then assault the boys, preferably w/ the succubi. If you angle it correctly you can kill the BtB models without taking any hits back, then pile in and wipe them out in his turn, leaving you free to hunt a new target on your following turn.

Those are the two most basic suggestions I'd have that don't involve gutting and redoing your whole army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

well, the problem here, really, is that you probably have a balanced army against your other foes; and just because this ork dude plays a very unbalanced army you will have problem against him. so, if you decide to go anti-tank, to be able to take down that ork player, you'll end up on the short side against the other armies. it's your choice really, play a balanced list that's good against most armies and just accept that armies like that ork army are going to mow you down; or make an anti-tank lists just to counter that ork player, and try to face the other armies with your anti-tank list. if you play it correctly, you could be able to force your opponent to charge you, if you get enough ranged anti-tank weaponry.

if you want to go anti-tank, the only thing you can do, really, is to add loads and loads of dark lances to the list, use raider groups as troops so you get a mobile dark lance on the raider and another dark lance on the warrior groups.
    use ravagers with a combination of dissies and lances. take some reavers with blaster to speed up the board and take out some nasties. put your elites and hq in raiders to get some lances there aswell. this should give you an incredible amount of anti-tank, but like i said, you will be pretty crippled against other armies. and i don't exactly expect you to have that amount of raider either

his looted hellhound should be first priority, that shooting flamer is just too good to be left untouched. after that, focus on his transports, when all transports are down the rest should be easy pickings.

well, that's all from me, i wish you good luck with your games. If i were you i'd probably just add another sniper squad and hope for the best a balanced army is must more fun both to play and to meet.
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its true he is the only one who gives me the hardest time.

Second, increase the size of your reaver squads and add a kitted-out succubus.
    I will probably try some of these. I had mixed results with reavers in the past as far as assaulting.

As for unbalancing my army to take vehicle heavy lists. I think there would be enough ap 2-3 things that it would give the plethora of marine players a hard time. I think I might try it. Plus people seeing all those lances makes them a little afraid, as they should be...

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go to the same shop as the OP (Its Kyle) and everyone has trouble playing the Speed Freak's guy. Everyone at the shop plays friendly games with all around lists each week. Nothing to one sided against a certain army. It is totally possible to win every match you are in with your all around list.

But with this guy nobody can beat him because our all around lists need up getting massacred and even if we did make a list just to beat him that same list will most likely not do well against everyone else's. Its just not very fun.

The only way he is unstoppable is because hes being a jackass while everyone is just trying to have fun. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

Speed freaks are not legal anymore...

but The new codex will hit him hard, very hard as he will lose alot of what th speed freaks had.

New orks are strong but you shouldn't have as much trouble in january

sorry I can't be more help ATM but he hasn't got long to go with that list, which is illegal now until new orks mess him up.
    Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
    Mal: Define "interesting".
    Wash: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

True he needs opponents permission to use Speed Freeks since they're from the ancient Armageddon codex which I'm pretty sure isn't fully 'legal' anymore so simply rejecting his list could be an option, however, the new that orks on the horizon (yeah I've seen the codex) are much more powerful and he'll still be able to field a Speed Freak style army, fully legal this time. The cheaper troops will mean possibly more squads, and everything will be hard as nails. It's going to get a lot tougher for you. You've actually got a pretty good and balanced list there incidentally.

I don't know what's in this guy's list precisely so it's harder to give advice but I really do have to recommend not making charging his units the highest priority, just hide behind cover, stick all your units and vehicles in or behind cover so he can't see them, wait for him to come to you, shoot him up a bit, blow up his trucks etc... weaken his units and THEN go for combat. Dark Eldar can outshoot orks, even Speed Freeks. We're at least as mobile as well so use that to your advantage. There are some armies where just rushing into combat just isn't a priority. I'm sorry I can't give you better or more in depth advice but I don't know properly what's in his army, what kind of tables you use, how much terrain etc... what both your tactics often are (hence knowing what you could change) etc... If you get the opportunity to tailor your list (which I don't agree with doing mind you), focus your list on the more shooty aspects, but not to make it completely helpless in combat, raider squads are good for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

This might be one of the few times I will recommend scourges. They can shoot the crap out of your standard ork squad with little to no trouble. Just don't get within charge range. They can even work against some of his lighter armored vehicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

198 (x7)

I agree, though don't for a minute think that orks are incapable of shooting them down, you'll have to use them carefully. Hitting on 5s might be crap but they will put out a heck of a lot of shots from big shootas and such. Lootas in the new dex will essentially have autocannons with d3 shots each. That's pretty bad for us. But yes, scourges used much like you'd use a ravager (which is another great option, better even) with only letting yourself be in LoS of the squad you're shooting at, which you'll have to make sure isn't able to hit you back very well. Unfortunately you can't really pin orks in generally since if they have 11 or more in the squad they are fearless, people will take 30 man squad to make sure they get into combat, but speed freeks can't do that. I think Ravagers are really the best bet, and raider squads, but if you don't have sufficient models or are somehow restricted in another way, scourges are a worthy supplement.
    Last edited by Tenozuma; November 19th, 2007 at 02:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

225 (x6)

I have to say i haven't played Orks too much but in the 3 games I played I found what the other are trying to say:

1. shoot as long as you can and stay out of close combat

There is no need to advance or worry about getting shot at. The orks will almost always want to come charging into you and there is no need in helping them to get closer or tie them up in CC (which protects them rather than you). Their shooting is way below average and I would rather be shot at by orks than any other army. Use your warriors and raider squads as shooting platforms and if possible move them back to keep the orks out of CC. This is unusual I know but you need to shoot, shoot, shoot!

2. Don't use a portal. save the points for more firepower

Again, the orks are going full throttle into you so there is no need to place a portal (which I use for hiding my precious units from shooting, no need here). The orks actually have a good chance to not only reach your portal carriers but if you have already dropped the portal in the first turn they may actually block it. There is no way a portal carrying unit is going to withstand an ork charge even from one of its smallest units (trukk boyz). Use the portal points for better upgrades like disintegrators or more warriors.

3. Charge and don't be charged

I have used counter charging units to great effect by setting up a fire base of warriors and having a squad of warp beasts or wyches charge anything that threatens your shooty units. Wyches of course make the best as they will negate the extra ccw, cut their WS down in half and will most likely kill twice their number. I have consistently killed everything within my kill zone and eliminated any strikes back. This strategy works really well but it means you will have to watch your opponent and make sure he only removes those units that can hit you. Do not let your opponent take units that can't hit you or are out of you kill zone - this happens with many players who get sloppy with the rules.

4. Try to "concentrate" on one target at a time.

Do not let any unit fight alone and you will have to concentrate your forces so the target you pick gets hammered, one by one. If you string yourself out too much or rely on one unit to take care of themselves then you will get sucked into a drawn out close combat that they will eventually win. So this is easier said then done but pretty much do not let your forces get strung out - keep your forces together and support each other. If there is a way to "funnel" your opponent like in the movie "300" then their numbers will not count for much as you kill everything that can strike back.

I know its all easier said than done but I have embraced these methods with orks and I no longer fear them. I do know how ever that the "speed freaks" list is very awesome and our local speed freaks player is rarely beaten. I haven't played him yet but if I do I would be considering the Wych Cult or a list with a good amount of wyches in them.

Good luck and happy hunting!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast