How much of a threat are the new Orks? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much of a threat are the new Orks?

With lootas being hugely buffed, and boyz costing the same as a guardsman, how worried should we be about the new Orks?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How worried about lootas am I?
    Very!
    The rest not so.
    Last edited by BOHICAbob; November 19th, 2007 at 12:35.

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

Depends on what you are playing and how your lists generally deals with crowds.

The standard anti meq lists will be hard pressed with having to deal with the sheer number of enemy units but the ammount of rokkits you can put in the mobs has come down unless you max the unit leaving them prone to pieplates but then orcs allways were prone to pie plates.

In general I wouldn't be too worried all thats going to happen is that people will be more tempted to run huge footslogger lists I think. Speed freaks may be a bit funny but its not nearly as funny as showing up with 200 models all toting S4 guns or better. But thats orks for you.

No not too worried.
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Not too worried at all. Things to remember:

1.We outrange them drastically. Just pick your targets carefully, as always.
    2.Take full advantage of the railgun sub-munition for large mobz.
    3.Farsight is a fool. Leave him at home, so you can have more than one Hammerhead, as per #2.
    4.Yes, dakka gunz are gonna hurt. Knock them out early.
    5.Utilize our mobility. Standing and shooting is only gonna get ya swarmed. (I only point this out for those of our misguided brethren who like to use a lot of "gun-line" firewarriors.)
    6.Remember Mob Rule, the Ld of a Mob is affected by its number of models. Drop them down enough to make them run, or at least pin, and move on to another unit. Don't waste valuable shots finishing off the last few Orks in a Mob(unless they're close enough to charge).

All I can think of for now... Hope it helps.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I feared was looted bassies. HAH!!

Although the new lootas are going to be obnoxious.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They've given me a pretty hard time so far, but i've only played one game against orks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Hiraedd View Post
    With lootas being hugely buffed, and boyz costing the same as a guardsman, how worried should we be about the new Orks?
    Pie Plates, Pie Plates, Pie Plates. Burst cannons and missile pods you'll mostly need against them.
    the Fire Warriors can pretty much FoF any unit they encounter bar Ork HQ's

their BS2 won't change much, just keep your distance and pump as many shot into their fat units as you can. especially those new and improved lootas

i've always won games against Orks, although it's only one game i played of 40K

just a few suggenstions

-Kai-Itza-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

Mobility is REALLY important. Lootas are great, but lots of ork units can get annoying FAST.

For example, Tankbustas (lots of assault krak missile launchers anyone?)

Stormboyz, who can possibly assault out of deepstrike

Lots of infiltrators. LOTS of them.

The shokk attack gun... no one wants a big mek blasted halfway across the board directly into assault. Well. except the orks.

Despite what people say about orks being nerfed in CC, I would refute that argument. They are mean enough to really cause some serious havoc. Orks are just unpredicatble enough that sometimes they can get into combat really fast or really slowly.

Basically, you just need to be able to cover yourself for the worst case scenario. My suggestion is using superior mobility to salvage whatever isnt hit into better vantage points, destroying everything after CC is over (and the orks win).

Hit the fast stuff first, then pick off everything else at your leisure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

As I usually play an all infantry infantry IG army I know what might annoy a full infantry ork opponent.
    • Give him no clear line of attack. Make him split his forces. You could even nip a kroot squad, stealth team or DSing drones behind him to force a large mob to turn about.
    • Use you mobility. Remember those split forces earlier? Well now you can use your superior speed to move all your force to counter one of them leaving the other one stranded (if you've never seen dark eldar do this consider yourself lucky).
    • Kill key units. Including tanks, tankbustas, stormboyz etc. If your shooting at a humble X point orc, your doing something wrong.
    • Don't let him take out your key units. This seems like a no brainer but it is important to remember that the orks can shoot, and will target any XV8s, commanders and hammerheads (hey they might get lucky) in sight.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by darkspawn327 View Post
    Despite what people say about orks being nerfed in CC, I would refute that argument.
    So would I. They'll be fighting Tau after all (and we're not known for our prowess, are we?)

I was going to say I hope everyone has magnetised their crisis suit weapons so we can swap for burst cannons.

And what about that Assault 5 gun we have? I have no idea of stats (of Orks or the gun itself - Cyclic Ion cannon, isn't it?) but would that be worth considering to thin the mobs?

I think we'll do alright. It'll be a traget-rich environment at least!
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast