Tyrant arms - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyrant arms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyrant arms

Does anyone else find the Hive Tyrant gun arms are pushed out to the right when the supply arm is fitted, almost as if the left arm is just a little too long (or the wrong angle)?

If so...

Any ideas how i can turn the left arm in so it doesn't push the gun out to the right?

Nothing to see here, please move along.
    Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Yes I agree with you. I found out that the Hive tyrant's gun arms tend to bend to one side as I put together my own Hive tyrant recently. As to slove the problem you could try to use heat. Put the arm you want to bend into a small tupperware container but don't seal it up. Now get a blowdryer and blast it with hot air, the reason it's in that container is to prevent it being blown across the table and then behind the fridge or something.

You should also have a dish containing ice-water (water with ice in it) this should be nearby. However for safety you should have the blowdryer and water container in two separate room, being fried by accidental exposure to electricity is a bad thing.

You may only need a few seconds to start making the plastic arm begin to feel soft. I suggest you count to five. Test it and if more heat is needed try again. Be careful as I have found when fixing the shape of my Hierophant which is resin, the parts at first seemed immune to the effects of the heat. They suddenly began to get very hot and you don't want the Hive tyrant's arm to melt.

Once you think the arm is becoming soft and bendy you can bend it into a position more to your liking. As soon as you have this shape put the arm into the ice-water and hold it there in the position you want. This will cause the arm to quickly cool, forcing it to retain the new position you want. If you find it isn't quite right all you need do is dry the arm and your hands and have a go with the blowdryer again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many thanks for the quick response Leech.

Not only does it alay my fears that I am assembling the 'Rant wrong (I may be slow but, dry run fittings dissasemble much easier than permamnent ones!), but provides a solution, complete with H&S instructions regarding 240V and water

I will have a play tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Weezhard View Post
    I will have a play tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again
    Glad to help you out.;Y And do let us know how you get on. I even suggest, if you read this before you go at it with the blowdryer, you may want to do a test run. Select something expendable and insignificant. Perhaps even something that would entertain you if it were to be melted. Perform a test on this plastic object, a sprue would probably do actually.

See what happens and then you will be able to have a go at the Hive tyrant's arms with a fair degree of safety that you won't instantly melt the thing. Also beware, if the plastic does begin to melt it will give off toxic fumes which will require vent through an open window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, not that I ever doubted you, not only does this work, its soooo easy!

I played about with a hair dryer and a tupperware box, and the sprue became, if anything, a little too soft too quickly. So I improvised with a desk lamp! As standard 60W buld, hold the sprue piece about 1" away. Make sure you warm both sides (note, warm... its not really that hot). It took me about 15 sec's heat on each side before the plastic became nice and malleable. Once i hard the spore sack of the left arm in the right configuration (I just checked by holding both sides against the body until I was happy) I ran the adjuested price under a cold tap for 10 secs, et-voila

I am getting another sprue tomorrow so I will see if I can post before and after pictures.

Top tip Leech. :thumbup:
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Happy to help, good thing that worked out for you. I think the venom cannon arms were made for the plastic Carnifex which has resulted in them being a little troublesome for the Hive tyrant. If you look at the pictures of the Hive tyrant in codex Tyranids you can see it is actually holding it's venom cannon very far to one side. I't just the way it is photographed that hides it.

It will be cool to see some pictures of how this has worked out. It also has me thinking of what else could be done to change/convert Tyranids using heat. I imagine some fun things could be done with Carnifex/Tyrant scything talons to make them slightly hooked perhaps, or many other things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am fitting up a Fex atm, that's where the other arm came from which I intended to photo for comparison. Unfortunately, the difference is not enough to show up clearly in a photo. Whilst the change in angles is possible to see "in the flesh", when photographed, everything looks, well, "a little flat" I suppose is the best way to describe it.

I think you are right regarding the design being for the Fex. That went together without the need to distort the feed arm much at all. I did move it a bit simply to change the pitch of the gun and, given it's so easy to do, I thought I would indulge myself
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

i really hate those feeder things. They just serve to annoy me and make my mini's cluttered.
    they make it so hard to place your armes where you feel like it and really limit the modelling opportunities that you can pull off.
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

[quote=Leech;1047567]
    You should also have a dish containing ice-water (water with ice in it)[quote]

Haha, that made me laugh.

All respect the master nid converters wisdom

On a (slightly) more serious note, *giggleing fit*... ah never mind....
    omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

[quote=Archnomad;1049409][quote=Leech;1047567]
    You should also have a dish containing ice-water (water with ice in it)

Haha, that made me laugh.
    Yes that is rather funny now I look at it. I think or hope that people can figure out what ice-water is.

Splata, Gerbil of doom. You could us this heat method to move about the feeder arms to make them more reasonable. It also comes to mind that I have seen many Sniper/gun/fex conversions where people have clearly been having problems putting both a barbed strangler and venom cannon on one Carnifex. Hopefully this heat trick will help out.

I,m glad this helped out Weezhard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast