Trouble with IG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with IG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trouble with IG

I have been having a lot of trouble with the IG lately. The guy who likes to use them pretty much just makes a line of guardsmen across the board and takes as many heavy bolters and autocannons as he can and some times one Leman Russ.

My list consists of Fire Knifes, Broadsides, Fire Warriors and Kroot. I try to infiltrate my kroot and then march up with my firewarriors and fireknifes. By the time I have shot his troops enough to do any real damage I've already lost too many men to last the rest of the battle.

What can i do to survive all of those shots and break his lines? It seems like his squads never fail morale tests while mine seem to run at the first sign of trouble. Does anyone have any insight to how I might better the outcomes of my battles with this player?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, what points limit do you run at.

In this kind of a game, I would recommend changing the fireknives to deathrains, as the anti-meq the fireknives pack is totally useless against guards.

Also, a hammerhead submunition is your best friend.

Lastly, and maybe most importantly, marching your firewarriors up field is a bad idea. If you want them to move, give them a devilfish, and have them FOF.

Use terrain to your advantage.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

double post
    Last edited by sonu236; November 23rd, 2007 at 08:13. Reason: double post
    "In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king"
    "Pray to the emperor, but keep rowing to the shore!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kroot are great but if he's making a huge gunline than maybe lay of the infiltrators. i hate and love to fight IG, because there either peicemeal for tau or hard-to-face horde. if he lacks any good armor then leave the broadsides at home, take some suits or devilfishes for your fire warriors.

:Cheres an idea, take a shas'o, give him a stim injector/firefknife stuff/shield gen/multi-tracker and iridium armor. okay so he's pricey and all but tough to kill. optionally grab a bodyguard for him, hopefully with flamers and fusion blasters.

now deepstrike! using some path finders get that DS in a good position and use the turn u land to unleash a torrent of death. if he's dumb (or you goaded him into this) he'll CC the unit, if he's smart he'll prob gun u down on the spot. to be truthful his guard are at a disadvantage vs your commander, with a good WS, Str,W and attacks he'll kill quite a few(his bodygaurd 2). that 2+save and 4+inv will ward of most attacks and the stim will denie wounds half the time.
    this works to mess up his gunline and give your crisis suits some death or glory fun;Y. now he's take some healthy casualties, and has tied up units who wont shoot you to death! does it work? well its a gamble, if u dont DS early enough well ur #$*%ed, but if you land right when he's all bunched up then you can probably start getting used to having ur commander as a loathed model.

it's death or glory because ur commander is simply bait, while he's distracted you a can move other things around a little less molested8X.

NOTE: stay clear of good CC units like his HQ
    "In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king"
    "Pray to the emperor, but keep rowing to the shore!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as above depends on the points your playing.

you want to take a team of 3 deathrains to pepper his heavy weapons squads then jump back into cover in the assualt phase. they will be pretty much untouchable the whole game.

Try a maxed out team of 6 stealths infiltrating behind cover but within about 22 inches from his line. with their burst cannons they will tear appart a squad a turn and be able to jump back into cover in the assualt turn.

take 2 railheads and use their subs to take out his troops. land a big pie plate on his lines....hopefully his command squad if you can see it. at a high strength you will be wounding on 2's with no save. that should rock any rerolls he gets to morale.
    1 can take out the leman russ as and when you need too.

as above don't use footslogging firewarriors. take a fish with 12 man teams of warriors and FoF him. 24 rapid fire shoots that will wound on 2's with no save. mint.

for your HQ take a PR and fusion. hand him back with your deathrains. you might not use him but he is worth having around just in case your oppenent suddenly puts an armoured fist squad on the feild.
    otherwise you could give him a burst cannon and cyclic ion blaster and take a squad of gun drones. this will give you an amazing number of shots and using the gun drone sheild maintain his IC status. I would never use a suit for this normally but using your HQ's IC status (DO NOT give him a body guard) you should be able to lay down a really high number of wounds...even with the CiB's low strength.
    also maybe you could consider the Airbursting fragmentation launcher? denies cover saves so might be useful against that heavy weapons team that he's stuck in a building.

I've never had a problem against guard using this set up until they start using a bassie....in that case I stick with the same tactic except my stealth team keeps bounding forward down one board edge after taking down a unit to get shots onto his hidden bassie.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Indeed View Post
    I have been having a lot of trouble with the IG lately. The guy who likes to use them pretty much just makes a line of guardsmen across the board and takes as many heavy bolters and autocannons as he can and some times one Leman Russ.

My list consists of Fire Knifes, Broadsides, Fire Warriors and Kroot. I try to infiltrate my kroot and then march up with my firewarriors and fireknifes. By the time I have shot his troops enough to do any real damage I've already lost too many men to last the rest of the battle.
    Speed is the Tau army's best friend after their weapons. You say that your opponent likes to use a gunline with lots of heavy weapons but only takes a single tank. Ok, so you're already half way to beating him, since he appears to use the same tactic all the time. As has been suggested, marching across the battlefield is not a Good Idea (think trench warfare in WW1 - not nice). Transports are essential against this firepower.

My way of dealing with this gunline would be two-fold. The first element would be to mount as many FWs as possible in DFs. This reduces the number of heavy weapons which can do any damage to the Tau, as only missile launchers and autocannons will have sufficient Strength Value to be able to get through the AV of the vehicles.

The second element would be to deny him the range to your units. Broadsides can out-reach pretty much anything bar Basilisks, so these guys should be placed in hard cover towards one corner of your deployment area. Ensure that they have good lanes of fire, particularly concerning the Russ's position!

Once the long range support is in position, your deployment of the rest of the army should be carefully planned so that it appears you are setting up near the centre of the table. The idea behind this is that the "you-go, he-goes" format of deployment sequence will have him countering *your* deployment, even if you went second. However, this set-up leaves you with the option of rapid redeployment to one side, initiating a Refused Flank attack. Remember that the Tau philosophy is the Kauyon rather than the Mont'ka; get into position before letting rip with the Killing Blow. By moving to one side of the board, and staying in DFs until the moment arrives for the FoF attack, you will be increasing the distance between your units and some of his heavy weapons. Either this will have some of them out of range, or will force him to move the unit in order to regain range. Either way, you gain a turn where he cannot use those weapons to target you.

Multiple FoF can be applied to one end of the gun line, with the suggested Ninja'O getting stuck into CC, aided by the infiltrated Kroot unit(s). This will hopefully begin a "roll up the line" style of attack.

Hammerheads with Railguns are the ideal way to remove pesky Heavy Weapons units, although Deathrains are equally at home with the job. Both of these suggestions were made earlier, IIRC, and I agree fully with them.

Hope some of this helped.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

I think you need to tell us more about the army you are worried about.

Especially we need to know what doctrines he takes (if he takes the light infantry doctrine your in trouble) and weither he gets heavy weapon squads or not (the ones with 3 heavy weapons and 6 men, not the normal squads with 10 men and 1 heavy).

What can i do to survive all of those shots and break his lines?
    You can survive his shots buy taking out his autocannon squads and lascannon/missile launcher squads then hiding in tank and by also using JSJ. It is unlikely that you can break his line. Contrary to popular believe IG have the best leadership in the game (save mabye nids) as they can easily get 2 LD 10 leadership bubbles (one of them allowing rerolls from a standard) and can rally under half strength with the correct doctrine choice (iron discipline). You best bet is to ignore trying to break him (unless he foolishly leaves his command squads in LOS in which case make them your priority target) and instead concertrate fire on heavy weapons and veteran squads (they generally have a whole lot more dangerous weapons).

It seems like his squads never fail morale tests while mine seem to run at the first sign of trouble.
    His don't run because he has the best LD in the game, you rune because tau have the worst LD in the game (save mabye nids? yes that's right, nids have both the best and worst LD in the game). Remeber that if you are in a tank you can't fail a LD test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it has been mentioned, but I'd like to stress the fact that you need more Hammerheads...
    Please, call me Democracy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, more hammerheads, because they just destroy infantry.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Also, make sure there's an appropriate ammount of terrain on the table (I believe about 1/3rd coverage is recommended,) and that it's well spaced out and doesn't leave a big no man's land in the middle.

Guard are the only real attrition army in the game. On battlefields with no terrain, they have a huge advantage over everyone. A lot of gamers don't seem to have that much terrain, and therefore wind up playing on open boards, or worse, a no man's land.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast