Thinking of maybe getting some of the new Orks! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of maybe getting some of the new Orks!

OK, so I've just finished painting up my Space Marine Vets and that leaves me with only models on sprues. Now I could do the right thing and put them together and paint them and by then the orks won't be new and tempting! Or....

I could come here and ask advice as a player who knows very little about the greenskins about what makes a good starting point for an Orky force.

And here I am!

So I know that the Cities of Death expansion came with some nice kommandos that I'd like and that I'm not the biggest fan of grots (or gretchins what ever they're called) but could have some if they are vital. I love the Ork Mek side of things as the models look great. With those very leads can you lot lead me along a spore filled path to happyness?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I have to say that the best place to start with orks is to pick up a box of boyz. They'll form the backbone of basically any army you make as well as being the base for many other units through conversions, and it helps developing your paint scheme on basic troopers. From there you can pretty much follow your heart as it leads you. A warboss is an obvious choice as are a couple vehicles, but you might want to wait for the new trukks to come out as they are obivously superior. You could get some meks to back up those vehicles and keep them running, a few boxes of stormboyz, or even some tanks from other races to convert into battlewagons or gun wagons. There are also quite a few excellent new models coming out in the not-too-distant future that you might want to pick up like the lootas or the weirdboy. The great thing about the new codex's coming out is that almost everything in them is a completely viable choice. Basically it boils down to what you like the look of and how you plan to play your army, so have fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it's the new models that have got me keen. I loved the look of the Fantasy Orks when they came out earlier in the year but didn't buy anything as I'm not a big fantasy player and haven't finished the army I'm working on yet (VC's). However as I'm at a bit of a pause with my Marines and the new bikes and trucks look so awesome this I think is my moment. Thanks for the tips, you're right boyz is the place to start. So how many is a good base. I'll probably get a 1,500 point army to begin with in one lump and then vary it from there.

So?? How many trucks, battlewagons can I have? What exactly are fortresses? Are Kommandos a good option and can I easily theme an army around them, some vehicles and other Blood Axe Boyz? Also gamerfreak you mention stormboyz the dudes with rockits right? Finally do I need gretchin?

Oh, two extra questions have popped up as I've been looking around. What is a Skarboy and mega-armoured orks and cyborks any good?

Thanks and thanks espically to gamerfreak
    Last edited by Drake - Knights Templer; November 25th, 2007 at 15:41.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Drake - Knights Templer View Post
    Yeah it's the new models that have got me keen. I loved the look of the Fantasy Orks when they came out earlier in the year but didn't buy anything as I'm not a big fantasy player and haven't finished the army I'm working on yet (VC's). However as I'm at a bit of a pause with my Marines and the new bikes and trucks look so awesome this I think is my moment. Thanks for the tips, you're right boyz is the place to start. So how many is a good base. I'll probably get a 1,500 point army to begin with in one lump and then vary it from there.
    You usually want as many Boyz as you can get your hands on. When it comes to the new Codex, you'd probably be best to arm your Boyz with shootas over choppas and sluggas, as the extra attack in close combat probably won't make too much difference, and it's hard to argue with the shoota's profile, even used by an Ork with his terrible BS.

In a 1,500 point army I'm thinking you'd want at least 60 models on the table, and probably quite a few more - how many Boyz you take really depends on how many other, flashier, fancier things you decide you want.

So?? How many trucks, battlewagons can I have? What exactly are fortresses? Are Kommandos a good option and can I easily theme an army around them, some vehicles and other Blood Axe Boyz? Also gamerfreak you mention stormboyz the dudes with rockits right? Finally do I need gretchin?
    Trukks are dedicated transports for units, not unlike Rhinos or Razorbacks for Space Marine armies. The number of them that you can include really depends on how many units you take that have access to Trukks as an upgrade, and how many models you put in said units (since Trukks can only hold a maximum of 12 models).

Battlewagons are Heavy Support choices and I don't think many (if any) units can take them as dedicated transports. I don't have my Ork book on me at the moment so I can't say for sure. Either way, they're fairly expensive, so the number of them that you could include in an army is fairly low.

Oh, two extra questions have popped up as I've been looking around. What is a Skarboy and mega-armoured orks and cyborks any good?
    A Skarboy used to be an Elites choice for Ork armies. They were basically the same as normal Ork Boyz but had a Strength bonus. Nowadays they're just mentioned in fluff and have no in-game impact.

Mega-Armored Nobz can be quite good, as it's hard to argue with such an awesome armor save and number of Wounds. Plus, would you really wanna mess with that many power klaw attacks? I know I wouldn't.

As for Cyborks, I can't say I remember a thing about them. I'll try and get back to you on that later.

Katie D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, get this! About four years ago when I got back into GW games I went home to find all my old models. What did I find? VERY LITTLE! Either through my brother raising funds to travel or my mum just throwing stuu it was almost all gone. 3000pt Empire army - gone! 1000 IG army (old) - gone! 10,000+ Epic Imperial Army - Gone! All the extra models you build up over time - gone! Titan Legions, Epic, Bloodbowl, Fantasy Battle, 40K - All gone! I had a box of my brothers old models and Necromunda left! I was sad but I've bought new! All good.

Just remembered that my brother thought about Orks for a bit, checked his box of old models and I know have:
    30 Ork Boyz (from the 2nd. Ed. Box Set)
    36 Gretchin (also from the box set)
    10 Old Kommando Models
    1 Runtherder
    1 Base of Snotlings
    1 Wierdboy
    2 Old Orkz in Mega-Armour
    4 Old metal boyz
    1 Boy (Mek) with Shock Attack Gun
    & The Old Gazkhull Thakka (sp?)

A nice start, lacking in vehicles and the boyz are obviously not the finest models ever but I'me very pleased to have the old kommandos. So my questions now increase to ask about painting and points (very approximate don't worry)! I want to have a dirty look to the force as I paint white marines, bone IG and light blue 'Nids. Any ideas on where I can look for insperation? and roughly how many points does 30 boyz, 10 kommandos and a boss give me?

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Just remembered that my brother thought about Orks for a bit, checked his box of old models and I know have:
    30 Ork Boyz (from the 2nd. Ed. Box Set)
    36 Gretchin (also from the box set)
    10 Old Kommando Models
    1 Runtherder
    1 Base of Snotlings
    1 Wierdboy
    2 Old Orkz in Mega-Armour
    4 Old metal boyz
    1 Boy (Mek) with Shock Attack Gun
    & The Old Gazkhull Thakka (sp?)
    Hmm... *opens her Windows Calculator*

Well, the 30 Boyz will run you less than 200 points, the Grotz just over 100, and I'm unable to remember the rest aside from Ghazghull, who is over 200 points by himself (and worth every one of them, in my opinion).

I'd guess that you've got around 1,000 points there, maybe a bit more as the Weirdboy and Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun are HQ choices and fairly expensive at that (especially if you upgrade the Weirdboy to a Warphead).

You don't be able to use your Snotling base for anything game-wise, but it might be cool and fluffy to put them next to your Mek with the Shokk Attack Gun since they're the ones that the Gun fires at the enemy. I also think that you'll need a couple more Nobz in Mega-armor before you have a legal unit of them, but I could very well be mistaken.

Either way, nice find!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again! Yeah I'm very pleased with the haul.
    That's the first mob of boyz sorted and a good bunch of extras to work with! Happy me.

OK, further question coming up as I look around more. ;?

I see that the GW site no longer sells the Ork Battleforce box set (16 ORKS, 5 ORK WARBIKES, 1 WARBUGGY, 1 WARTRUKK AND BATTLEFIELD ACCESSORIES - coppied from description). Now I realise that that better models for some of these are coming but variety being the spice of life and all... is the set a good idea to pick up one or two copies of now before it's too late?
    Last edited by Drake - Knights Templer; November 25th, 2007 at 21:28.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

252 (x0)

Thanks again! Yeah I'm very pleased with the haul.
    That's the first mob of boyz sorted and a good bunch of extras to work with! Happy me.

OK, further question coming up as I look around more. ;?

I see that the GW site no longer sells the Ork Battleforce box set (16 ORKS, 5 ORK WARBIKES, 1 WARBUGGY, 1 WARTRUKK AND BATTLEFIELD ACCESSORIES - coppied from description). Now I realise that that better models for some of these are coming but variety being the spice of life and all... is the set a good idea to pick up one or two copies of now before it's too late?
    If I remember correctly, the new Battleforce (or whatever it's called) comes with less Ork Boyz than the current one. Other than that, everything else will have new models coming out for them, so it'd likely be wise to just wait and bite the bullet as far as losing 6 Orks per box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, so still waiting to be able to buy any models... That means lots of unfocused thinking!!! Are there any mobs in the ork codex that wear quite a bit of armour? the point of the question being that the fantasy Black Orcs are great and I'd love to convert a squad but can they be useful or would they just be excesively (sp) plated boyz?

Thanks again.. ( I guess thanks to you Katie Drake as you are always the first to answer me )

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

252 (x0)

OK, so still waiting to be able to buy any models... That means lots of unfocused thinking!!! Are there any mobs in the ork codex that wear quite a bit of armour? the point of the question being that the fantasy Black Orcs are great and I'd love to convert a squad but can they be useful or would they just be excesively (sp) plated boyz?

Thanks again.. ( I guess thanks to you Katie Drake as you are always the first to answer me )
    Black Orcs could be used to represent a unit of 'Ard Boyz, who are regular Ork Boyz with heavier armor than most.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast