Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
im looking to start a new army and am very tempted by dark eldar. ive read other comments on them and they appear to be very good if used correctly. every time i have played against them its not been much of a challenge tho. i just wondered if people could give me at least 3 good reasons to collect them?
Yeah sure –
1. They are the underdog almost always,
2. They are cheap to buy when most other player don’t want them,
3. They use speed as their as their armour and therefore play very differently than Marines.
But I am only allowed to have 3 points here…………….oh well!
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.
at least 3. good start tho
1. They are a rare army at my store and people tend to want to play agaisnt them just for that.
2. You can say you collected them before the new codex came out and became popular.
3. When you win it is because you are a good general, you can't make a lot of mistakes and win.
1. When you win your wyches or warriors or WWP they will be called "cheesy & broken".
2. The codex isn't clear and everyone interprets it differently.
3. Wyches and Lords are mostly metal models and they aren't pretty.
I know you expected everyone here give you a lot of good reasons but I think you will find everyone playing them for the same reasons. I personally didn't choose to play them as I received my Dark Eldar army free - I was actually looking at the Necrons but when someone gives you $500 worth you tend to go with that.
1) You can have a General with S:3 and T:3 who can still massacre almost any other Army General, all while costing fewer points.
2) Hot Space Elf Chicks in blade-covered bikinis.
3) Your basic troop transport vehicle is cheap, as fast as a Land Speeder and has a gun that can take down a Land Raider. It can deepstrike, too.
4) Cheap basic troops with excellent BS and WS and two heavy weapons per squad. Can the Space Marines put 2 Lascannons in a squad with 8 ablative wounds that can fleet into position and costs only 100 points? Nope, only DE can do that.
5) Incubi that can kill their own points worth in Terminators in a single round.
6) A flying tank that mounts 3 guns that can either kill light tanks and MCs, or be tuned down to kill MEQs with astonishing rapidity; all while moving.
7) The ability to start with a pair of cheap squads on the table and then have the rest of your army come pouring out of a portal at a place and time of your choosing (more or less).
I don't think that there is any real need for reasons as such but if you need some
1) Have potentially the best close combat units in the game (incubi and wyches)
2) Is still the quickest army in the 40k universe...
3) Archons/Arconites best close combat HQ in the game despite S3 T3
4)They have the right weapons for the right occasions
5) People underestimate them and as a result you can win a game through your opponents stupidity...(happened to me a few times but now I have a rep in my area)
6) They are just so much fun to play with... once you get a feel for them they can be one of the most devestating armies!!!
It really depends on what type of game you like to play. Someone who is a casual player that doesn't really pay attention to deployment or scenario and who just likes to move a few things around and shoot stuff for fun will proably not like playing Dark Eldar. Mechanized Tau or a balance Marine list or maybe Necrons is probably the way to go instead.
IMO the people who enjoy playing Dark Eldar like reading all the rules, spend time learning the other armies and understand that just because you win the die roll for first turn doesn't mean you should always go first (which should be based on paying attention to the other guy's deployment, his army type and the scenario objectives).
Nothing wrong with being either type of player but Dark Eldar weren't much fun for me to play until I started reading the rules more carefully and got some experience under my belt against other army types.
War Record Since Sept 2005
Old Codex 48-20-9 Dark Eldar
New Codex 1-0-0 Dark Eldar
okay thanks guys i think im gonna start collecting them, get loads of practice then win next years grand tournament.
one major negative.
Not much diversification in troop choice.
we have some killer units. Warriors, wyches, incubi, archons, talos, ravager. Some ok ones with specific uses. Reavers, Grotesques, mandrakes. and the down right aweful. Hellions. scourges.
So basically you see a lot of lists populated with warriors wyches incubi and ravagers. You really have to try hard to make the others work at all.
Dear Game Developer,Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
WWP and other Dark Eldar how to