Anti drop pod - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anti drop pod

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Anti drop pod

Alright so I've started using vassal. While my old 3rd ed army, with only shining spears added and black guards used as DA, had been ripping up IG mercelessly and winning against others I think I might have lost some games against drop pod marines. (they didn't give enough time to finish the games)

Now, granted, they'd been pretty lucky with the dice, and I might have won those games anyway, because drop pod armies aren't as impressive once they're all on the ground and I'm still running around with falcons, but regardless it would have been rough.

So I'm wondering about anti drop pod tech, and maybe actually getting some more models.

I think jetbikes, spears and bike farseers would work because they can turbo boost and fortune. That at least has worked well for me.

Scorps and footslogging DA are less impressive. Just to vulnerable, not good enough against MEQ when it starts too close.

falcons are always good unless the dice hate me. I ran them along the board edge so they couldn't drop into rear armor (leaving just enough space for people inside to have room to deploy if the thing goes down.) Probably would be worth vectored engines, especially if it's full of a countercharge unit. Probably not otherwise.

Vypers don't seem like they'd be so great except for being a low enough target priority to sneak around.

Walkers seem like they'd be neutralized easily.

It seems like god options would be to go fully mech/bike or to maybe go with footsloggers using avatars, wraithlords, and anti meq countercharge units. Plus a meatshield to keep other units off.

Anyway what has worked for you to break drop podders?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

the problem with drop pods is it blows your mobility for one turn, bikes can be effective but you end up turbo boosting aimlessly around the table until his pods are on, then lack the time to do something.

The trick is resilient troops, spiders for example, plant them in a wood and you have sufficeint saves to keep you round after the drop pod troops get out and shoot you, but really again you are relying on him targetting the spiders
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

I was thinking of trying a spear unit with guide and fortune farseer and bike autarch.

They could boost at first with fortune. Making them highly resiliant. After that probably actually use them to try and clear a unit that may have taken a couple casualties and try and land in some cover so they can keep their ability to survive some plasma.

but that's a little over 500pts all in one unit. Though they can obviously break up later if need be.

Would spiders really be that good? It seems like they'd have a bitch of a time keeping on the marines if they're using cover. You have two dangerous terrain rolls plus the "lose a dude on a double" effects hitting your guys and they don't hold up that great to initial bolter fire. Is that right?

Actually it seems like jetbikes would do better. Same points except for shuri cannon upgrades instead of exarc upgrades. But they can start with an invulnerable save, have a higher toughness, and then can pelt at further range(granted with a little less bite).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

as I said, the problem with bikes and it occurs during escalation games too and you aluded to it, is that they dont kill fast, if they are not on the table the first 2 turns or are busy turbo boosting around then they tend to run out of time, and potentially table space, they can help ut troop wise I think that you may as well go down the pathfinder route, ut ultimatley the best approach may well be mechanised, the tanks are resilent enough, particularly if you use cover well to protect your rear from his deep strikes
    Last edited by Cheredanine; November 29th, 2007 at 11:30.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Pathfinders just seem like flamer bait.

I do feel the tug of either mechanized or a large footslogging force anchored by an avatar. Probably with wraithlords some solid assault units like harlies and some meatshield units so the harlies can't get hit when the marines drop.

Mechanized would be closer to what I have and is more popular as far as I can tell.

Is there another viable option?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

flamers hurt but careful plcement should limit the casualties to 2 or so

There are all sorts of options, my own bikes I would disperse widely, because there are walker squads there too they will probably go for those, after initial damage you get to strike back, they have lost their mobility

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banshees in serpents, and fire prisms. Eldrad ain't bad either, he can fortune two squads for the initial hit, then guide+doom on the return fire. I have also been contemplating the farseer+autarch+spears squad, though it gets difficult as the Hit and Run ability won't work if the farseer is in the squad, and it's just sooo many points. You almost need the Autarch in there as well to provide his plasma grenades (spears not coming with them is a travesty imo).
    "Fight and you'll never survive. Run and you'll never escape. So just fall, from grace."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Well the plasma grenade problem is part of the pull to mech. If you're fielding guys on the ground you either have ot leave them in the open for the initial hit or you most likely give the enemy the chance to start in cover.

Going mech you can just stay away from cover forcing them to either come to you or not hit anything on their drop. (or at least have a good chance of a scatter putting them out of range or out of cover)

+ Reply to Thread