Super Nob biker squad! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Super Nob biker squad!

Alright this has been sitting in my head for a little bit now since seeing the new ork codex. First its a nob squad that are all on bikes then I gave 6 of em PK, upgraded one to a painboy with a grot orderly, then gave them all cybork bodies, and last a WAAGH! banner. Now this unit comes to about 660pts or so.

Now lets look at the benefits of this unit you get a HUGE amount of PK attacks which means more then likely any unit they charge will die or take a lot of damgae. Plus since they are on warbikes they get a lot of nice additions such as cover saves and huge mobility. Also while in CC they any PW attacks they still get their inv saves via cybork bodies so its not an auto death. Plus any regular attacks are going to have a tough time getting through with the higher toughness and FnP.

Now so downfalls to this unit would basically be that any model that dies is going to be a lot of points down. Also it is going to be a big target which could be a good or bad thing depending the way you see it. Also since its so killy it may kill the squad it assaults and be wide open to enemy shots or assaults.

Now what does everyone else think about it?

Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right off the bat I would charge them with something (if possible) and try to slow them down. As soon as they are out of that CC (they WILL destroy what ever they hit) they are going to eat every single round I can fire at them.

Lacking that, I am going to throw a bunch of speedbumps at the them. Anything that will render their killing power null. This could be (in my case) lashing them somewhere you don't want them, throwing just vanilla marines at them to keep them off the charge or out right shooting the hell out of them with enough bolter rounds to stop them dead.

If I were playing guard I would have 2 squads charge them and hold them in that close combat until doomsday...or a pieplate of death. Which ever comes first.

So on and so forth. A huge point squad like that would probably never make it to my lines in the first place, atleast not until they had been thinned down to a manageable size

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lictor1989 View Post
    First its a nob squad that are all on bikes then I gave 6 of em PK, upgraded one to a painboy with a grot orderly,

Im pretty sure that if you put a grot orderly in the squad that it makes all the rest of the units move at its speed. Also not even sure if a painboy can be on a bike.
    Im the Lesser of two Yobos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Lesser Yobo View Post
    Im pretty sure that if you put a grot orderly in the squad that it makes all the rest of the units move at its speed. Also not even sure if a painboy can be on a bike.
    Painboyz will be on whatever the nob they are upgraded on so yes they will be. Also the grot is only an accesory so in other words as stated in the codex if they get in the way you can move them off to the sidelines.

Also Rook the thing is even with pie plates the squad will still get their cover saves and if they aren't 8+ str they will also get their FnP as well (though can't think of too many pie plates lower then 8 so won't matter too much) also squad will more then likely be spread out. Though the lash is a very good point on one of the weaknesses of the squad. Still even with speed bumps they will hardly last with the large amount of attacks the nobz will get and for the most part (bareing in mind lash) should be able to choose their fights being on bikes.

Still I would think it would take a huge amount of bolters to kill the squad off that it might just be worth it for the rest of the army to make it across if so much attetion is brought to this squad.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I played a similar squad the other day, didnt have the pain boy, but it wouldn't matter much. On a standard table they got annihilated, the space marines just turned their devastator squad on them, wiping half out, and bolters for the rest. Didn't even tie up 50% of 1 round of shooting. If so many points are poured into one unit they become a big target, and 10 bikers take up a lot of room. If you really want to make the opponent sweat take 3 squads of 9, for roughly the same points you get almost 3 times as many, and thats a LOT of dakkagun shots if the opponent ignores them and having to split their fire and waste shots trying to stop them all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NovaJohn View Post
    I played a similar squad the other day, didnt have the pain boy, but it wouldn't matter much. On a standard table they got annihilated, the space marines just turned their devastator squad on them, wiping half out, and bolters for the rest. Didn't even tie up 50% of 1 round of shooting. If so many points are poured into one unit they become a big target, and 10 bikers take up a lot of room. If you really want to make the opponent sweat take 3 squads of 9, for roughly the same points you get almost 3 times as many, and thats a LOT of dakkagun shots if the opponent ignores them and having to split their fire and waste shots trying to stop them all.
    No, you get twice as many normal bikers for the points, pretty much exactly. And nob bikers are far tougher vs. shooting than standard bikers, with both FNP and two wounds. Also an invulnerable save (only really matters much in CC).

Having just last night played a proxy game with a similar setup, I can tell you that nob extremely tough in a large squad, because they require so much to take below scoring that they can hold their points well. Coupled with stormboyz and large boyz squads comming up behind them, they were able to get in, do a lot of damage, then wisk off to the sideleines and simply hold thier points and take objectives one the boyz showed up. The problem with nobs is that they're not very versatile, they only really work well against static lists that aren't filled with powerfists. Loyalist Terminator squads and the like would be death to these guys. Also mechanized lists, I believe. But those are the Ork weaknesses anyways.

Bottom line, unless it was a very large battle with a small nob squad, I quite simply don't believe that your outcome was anything more than luck on the opponent's side coupled with stupidity on the orks side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by NovaJohn View Post
    I agree Hiraedd even with the devastator squad you should of been able to shrug off a good chunk of the shots. Unless your not using the cover saves they get they should be able to survie them. Plus unless he fired a HUGE amount of bolters they should of hardly scratched the nobz.

Either way painboy is a must for this squad to increase the survivability of the unit by a huge amount.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This could be (in my case) lashing them somewhere you don't want them, throwing just vanilla marines at them to keep them off the charge or out right shooting the hell out of them with enough bolter rounds to stop them dead.
    I just wanted to point something out in response to this. I did a little math, (I know, not always reliable, but it should give an average to consider), and it takes around 36 bolter rounds to drop a single nob biker with a painboy in the mob. I don't know about you , but if your up against a mob of ten, it may be a little hard for the average marine army to take these guys down with massed bolter fire. I know this only takes into account one aspect of the marine army, but you can see how anything short of multiple devastator rocket launcher squads will have a tough time taking the bikers down, and even then each devastator squad should only average one kill per round from four rocket launchers. Besides that, if the entire enemy army is focusing on the bikers they still make their points back because everything else in the army gets to the lines untouched and clobbers the opponent just as well. I think that a mob like this has great potential, but it will take a fair bit of skill to use them well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a rare case where I would probably think about sending a dread into CC with a powerfisted unit. It would die next to instantly, but not before squishing a few. Assault cannons could also be the bane of this unit.

I doubt I'd do anything about the unit at all , as 600 points worth of summoned deamons could probably keep them tied up for 3-4 turns but if you caught a purely shooty enemy offguard that unit could be areal game breaker.

At the same time 2 units of 10 chosen with claws and tzen. Marks could probably come to grips pretty quickly too. Iirc (I am pretty sure) that Feel no pain is overridden by the power wepon effects. They weigh in at about the same price. The counter arguement ofcourse is that the marines might just as easily be avoided as they lack the mobility of the bikers. Either way it would be a fun fight to participate in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    Assault cannons could also be the bane of this unit.
    Not really. With a cover save they just don't care. Heavy flamers, on the other hand, would be ugly for them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast