Winged warriors? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winged warriors?

Im in the process of making a Genestealer army with a little bit of a difference.

Im running about 24 Genestealers at the moment, plus about 28 gaunts for meat shields (although i havent decided if i want to run them yet), and a typical CC Hive Tyrant (2xST, wings, etc).

I also have 3 warriors that i was thinking about tooling up in a similar way to the Hive Tyrant, with 2xST and wings.
    Has anyone actually tried and tested the wings biomorph on the warriors to be worth the 14 points?
    It just seems like an expensive upgrade.

The only thing that really bothered me about the idea though is lack of anti-tank, but im making this army as more of a fear factor type thing, not nessessarily to win.

Cheers.

Chaos - 11W 0L 0D
    Orks - 8W 0L 0D
    Tyranids - 8W 0L 0D

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I have tryed the Winged Warriors in a game. They're ok, however their strenth is being able to keep up with the faster troops that tend to run away. I would only use them to keep up with hormoguants as the 14 pts is alot. But if yor going for a theme then stradagy is more or a secondary thing in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

I've used them extensively and have since decided that I don't care for them very much... I prefer leaping over wings - less points and still allows extended carapace.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also...
    In theory a warrior could be considered a large target in comparison to the gaunts, but its not a MC or anything...
    Can an enemy unit shoot at a squad of warriors through a brood of gaunts?
    Chaos - 11W 0L 0D
    Orks - 8W 0L 0D
    Tyranids - 8W 0L 0D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

No, as both Gaunts and Warriors are size 2. Thus if your opponent wishes to shoot past the Gaunts to the Warriors, they need to roll for Target Priority. This isn't based on the physical size of the models, but the arbitrary size class.

Winged Warriors can be a good source of fast Synapse, but due to their cruddy Armour are very, very dependant on terrain cover... Priority is in keeping them out-of-LOS, but even a cover save is preferable to no save at all.

And do equip them with ScyTal + RenClw... This way they're capable of dealing damage to most types of infantry and potentially even vehicles, whereas 2x ScyTal only really works against Guards, Orks and similar low-saves. Of course, you will have 'Stealers for the Rending, but for future reference 2x ScyTal just isn't terribly effective. The extra 2 points per Warrior for RenClw is certainly worth it! ;Y
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

156 (x3)

I'd have to agree. I'll take leaping warriors over flying warriors anyday.

On a side note, I remember an amusing story with leaping warriors. We were doing a 4vs4 game with special rules. (nids, guard, demon hunters and necrons.) The bulk of our army "dropped" into the game using the deep-strike rules. On turn three my leaping warriors popped into a corner I had my ranged carnifex hanging out. The necrons were up after me and got his deepstrike rolls in on his destroyers. He plans to drop them right next to the building my warriors are hanging out in, but outside of their visual range for shooting. He was still learning the rules and had a solid mad-on for the demon hunters, who were making a b-line for my nice cozy building. Trying to be helpful, but not wanting to directly tell him my plans, we have the following conversation:

me: you really don't want them there, do you?
    necron: yes, yes I do.
    me: no, I don't think you do. Maybe somewhere else would be better? It's kind of cozy over here already.
    necron: Nope, this is where I want them, I have a plan.
    me: Are you sure you want them there?
    necron: yes, I have my pariah out here and I want them for ranged support.
    me: ok, but I really think that if you leave them there, something very bad will happen to them. They're kind of in the way.
    demon hunters: I think he's trying to tell you something. Maybe you don't want them there?
    necron: nope, they're fine. This is where I want them.

So the turn proceeds with the destroyers hanging around about 8-inches outside my building. (we fought so hard for it, I'm keeping it!) His pariah get into melee with some terminators a little beyond that. My leaping warriors saunter through the building, see the destroyers and leap into the fray. They annihilate the destroyers, over-run into the pariah/terminator melee and wipe both out the next turn. Happily munching they then leapfrog into some IG units and go on their merry way.

necron: @#$%# what the #@!! did you do that for?!?
    me: um, I kinda told you that you didn't want to deploy right there.
    demon hunters: yeah, he did. I saw it coming and there wasn't anything I could do about it.
    IG: hey, where did my heavy weapon platform go?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the games I have played, I have use winged warriors. The ones that faired the best were ST and RC. They make a great assault support unit for my 'stealers. When they are on their own, they got targeted and smoked pretty quick, but when backing up the 'stealers, they made for some pretty excellent mopping up of enemy units. The winged aspect was nice because the boards have been terrain heavy, but point-wise, I think leaping is the way to go.

I do love the look of gargoyle wings on warriors though. Just a nice looking model, almost as if the wings were made especially for the warrior.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by TamCoan View Post
    IG: hey, where did my heavy weapon platform go?
    I laughed at that :rofl

I personally like leaping better since I love my save. I've used some winged warriors before and they seem to work fine. They are definately fast and can keep up with gaunts, but you really need to hug cover as you won't get a save <90% of the time. Also, yes, please use rending. If you're spending the nuber of points to make them flying, let them kill something too.
    Last edited by Warrior47; December 4th, 2007 at 04:42.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are leaping warriors able to keep synapse for hormagaunts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

not all the time. In what i've played they loose them the turn the hormoguants charge, but catch them the followinfg as they charge that turn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast