Is there any unit we agree isn't good - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Is there any unit we agree isn't good

My recent scorps thread made me remember threads that were floating around here back in the old dex. Talking about how jetbikes and shining spears were good "if you knew how to use them."

However from the vantage point from our new dex where those units are HUGELY buffed and we still don't automatically suggest taking them, I think it's clear that back then they weren't so hot.

So are there any units that the community can agree are just sub-par these days. Sure they'll do something, and they may complement some other unit, but when you get right down to it they just aren't worth the points.

I'm thinking wraithguard (despite the buff) and storm guardians.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

No.

Personally, in the new codex, I think that everything is more or less viable to use. Some units are substandard though since their use is limited, like Wraithguard, but basically it is a viable choice. I have used them a couple of times with success.

Anyone agree with me or do you think that something in the codex sucks nowadays? Except Star Cannons of course...
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor View Post
    No.

Personally, in the new codex, I think that everything is more or less viable to use. Some units are substandard though since their use is limited, like Wraithguard, but basically it is a viable choice. I have used them a couple of times with success.

Anyone agree with me or do you think that something in the codex sucks nowadays? Except Star Cannons of course...
    i dont see too many people taking guardians when DA are such a good choice. Removing Rubber-Hawking would make many people not like the Hawks a much, not many even use the now it seems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my storm guardians!
    11 of the lil' buggers with 2 fusion guns and a concealing spear-warlock, reasonably cheap and good at tank hunting and/or tying up a mob of weak shooty troops.
    Plus the 5+ inv. save means that even when walking them across the board they survive better than most Eldar stuff.

Im really not a big fan of War Walkers, they take up a heavy slot that can be filled by something harder (WL's) faster (Falcons) or more shooty (Reapers). And yes im fully aware of the "3 Walkers with dual SL's being guided by a farseer" alleged amazingness, but if a stray bolter shot immobilises one, then the squad is a tad dead in the water....
    Herald of the Colonel; Festooned with pistols, riddled with vermin, and finger lickin' good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generaly new codex is quite a lot better and more balanced than the previous, and it's hard to find useless units. But my vote goes to wraithguards, sure they have devastating firepower but with a range of 12 and lack of CC abilities they are overpriced and easy to kill in CC.
    The biggest flaw of the new codes is IMO the lack of vehicle upgreades, sure eldar upgreades are very good but they are to few compared to other races, and I don't understand why they even reduced their number in new codex. I was hoping they would add few more.
    BTW do anybody know if GW plans to release a bonus codex for eldars (like craftworlds codex in the previous edition)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

155 (x2)

I agree that I think that every unit is viable in the new dex; however, there are a few units that are not worth taking because of so much better options, these are:
    Wraithguard - they just don’t put out the needed fire power for their cost.
    Warwalkers - while they are better then the previous codex they still can’t compete with the other heavy options.

Some units that I have seen mentioned above I have to argue with:
    Storm Guardians: Can be very effective if you give them 2 flamers, and a warlock with destructor mounted in a wave serpent.
    Guardian Defenders: if you give them a shuriken cannon they can put out more MEQ killing fire power per point cost then any configuration of dire avengers (with the lone exeception of when the DA blade storm and the exarch has dual shuriken cats).
    Primary Army: Tyranids; Secondary Army: Space Wolves

It's Illeagle, but it' s not that illeagle. - John Public

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    I agree that I think that every unit is viable in the new dex; however, there are a few units that are not worth taking because of so much better options, these are:
    Wraithguard - they just don’t put out the needed fire power for their cost.
    Warwalkers - while they are better then the previous codex they still can’t compete with the other heavy options.

Some units that I have seen mentioned above I have to argue with:
    Storm Guardians: Can be very effective if you give them 2 flamers, and a warlock with destructor mounted in a wave serpent.
    Guardian Defenders: if you give them a shuriken cannon they can put out more MEQ killing fire power per point cost then any configuration of dire avengers (with the lone exeception of when the DA blade storm and the exarch has dual shuriken cats).
    you make some valid points, all that aside, the most common troop choice is DA, where guardians are slim on lists. i bet there are a lot of people who will go tell you strictly otherwise about the warwalkers i am sure of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

155 (x2)

Fair enough...the arguments can be made for the warwalker, and I agree that the DA are the most common troop choice (and for good reason too).
    Primary Army: Tyranids; Secondary Army: Space Wolves

It's Illeagle, but it' s not that illeagle. - John Public

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

What about some of the support weapons. Vibro cannons look like they could be fun. But D-cannon got nerfed, and the shadow weaver has been nerfed since the whole AP- rule and the "attacks count as coming from the direction of the launcher" business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    What about some of the support weapons. Vibro cannons look like they could be fun. But D-cannon got nerfed, and the shadow weaver has been nerfed since the whole AP- rule and the "attacks count as coming from the direction of the launcher" business.
    Actually, I agree.
    I proxied some support weapons for a recent apoc battle, and they did squat. nothing. nadda. zip.
    Very disappointed.
    Herald of the Colonel; Festooned with pistols, riddled with vermin, and finger lickin' good...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast