D-cannons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: D-cannons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

D-cannons

From the thread on "unpopular" units, I was interested in learning more about how to use effectively D-cannons.

Please tell me what your experience is with them. How do you use them (unit composition, warlock choice, combination with other units, deployment...) ? Against what kind of opponent ? Etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

To be honest I rarely see them nowerdays, a couple of years ago they were common as ulthwe was the most prevelent carftworld, they provided nice extra fire support sitting beind guardian walls to keep stuff from getting too close, however, the death od screening and their lack of seems to have largely lead to their demise, I think V cannon are more common nowerdays
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

The Hammer of Khaine, the D-Cannon...

This is how I use it, and against whom.

Primarily useful against: Close combat armies, preferably Space Marine variants or similar. Everything with a lot of vehicles that want to get close to you and/or power armoured close combat/close range units. Basically about half or a third of the armies you'll be seeing at tournaments...

Unit composition: A D-Cannon and the two crewmen. No Warlock, no additional D-Cannon in the same battery... just the core and the gun. That's all you need, at least for the distruption stragegy in smaller games. In very large games, you could take a battery of three but usualy this is a waste of points. One or two of this unit, if you have the slots to spare, is good.

Remember, this D-Cannon battery is roughly the same cost as two Warlocks without any upgrades. It is very cheap for what it can do.

Deployment: This is the crucial part, always deploy it BEHIND cover and far into the board. If you use two of them, try to get them close to the red spots here in this picture. The dark red lines are about the range coverage of the cannons from that position (couldn't measure nor draw it very well in Paint but you get the point). The bright green areas are where your cannons can shoot! And behind or in any kind of terrain. Now what was that about poor range? You will cover 65%-80% of the battlefield if you manage to get them into the right position. With a single D-Cannon in the army you can cover about 40%-55%. It is all about deployment, but remember to keep them safe behind terrain when you deploy.

If you use a single D-Cannon it should be placed pretty much in the middle of the deployment zone as far out into the board you can place it. But always make sure it is behind terrain so no one can see it from the other side of the board.

Uses: The D-Wall as I like to call it acts for one part as a psychological barrier against your opponent. He will be hestitant to move certain units into it, like Land Raiders and Monoliths and tanks which transport valuable units. Of course he still has to assault you, but it is still there for as long the D-Cannon(s) remain. This will in any case strain him a bit, a stress factor which will (unless he has a lot of experience) cause him to make more mistakes than usual.

Another great thing about the D-Cannon, except that it SHREDS vehicles, is that it is pinning. Yes, it is a barrage weapon remember? A unit that suffers casualties from a barrage weapon has to take a pinning test. Sweet, now we can delay his assault even more.

Remember also that you can Guide it if you need to hit something badly.

All this for 50 or 100 points? Sure! Especially true in an infantry-based army like mine. The only downside is the Heavy Support slots they take up.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Thank you Viktor; very complete and convincing answer ! ;Y

Usually Eldar armies spend a lot of points on Heavy Support slots, so by taking two slots at 50pts apiece you are going for a very different army structure. Very interesting. I'll try to work out some lists on that basis, see what it feels like...

I have a concern about the D-cannons getting hit by a Whirlwind or similar weapons. Typically they would be deployed behind cover / area terrain, so not in the cover / AT... Without a Concealing Warlock they could die pretty quickly; but the Warlock costs too much for a 50 pts unit... Are you running into that problem ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use D-cannons occasionally (although more often I use Vibrocannons).

In terms of them being squished by whirlwinds and the like, it's definitely a concern. They are, however, so damn cheap that it doesn't really matter. Generally what I do is try to follow Viktor's deployment plan (although I tend to deploy two cannons in one place and just dominate a table-quarter with them).

Then I take my other two heavy choices (or my Shining Spears) and go kill the Whirlwind (or Bassy or whatever).

Sometimes I take a Warlock with them, but generally I keep them as cheap as possible -- they're a nasty little unit that scares people and are, honestly, easily expendable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Oh yeah, Whirlwinds and bassies...

I rarely encounter these to be honest, but when I do I don't worry too much. If they choose to try to kill my cheap D-Cannons instead of my guardian or aspect squads that is their problem.

Or, if you really need them (like if you are facing an armoured company or black templar army or something, you can follow Grimm's advice. Let me add that Vypers with 2 Shuriken Cannons make great companions to D-Cannons, they can quickly destroy whatever threatens them.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

+ Reply to Thread