Help getting started! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help getting started!

hey guys just need some help deciding what to get for my tyranids i usually play against Necrons, black templar, and space wolves. Looking for around a 1500pt list based around assult

Thx~dapope

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

There is a lot of advice to be found regarding how to go about collecting Tyranids.

I strongly recommend the following:

1) Strongly consider what you mean by "assault." Tyranid armies are better than any other army out there at assault with NO UPGRADES. Even their basic units are generally high initiative, fast in some way, and cheap for the # and potency of attacks you get

2) Tyranid armies entirely outfitted w/ ranged weaponry are STILL better in close combat than most armies out there, point for point.

3) Buying a Tyranid battleforce or battlebox will probably be a WASTE OF MONEY until you buy the book, test some things out, and play some battles proxying in your necrons, black templar or space wolves models as Tyranids in a format that lets you see what various list builds can accomplish.

When you've tested out and streamlined your army plan, THEN buy the models you need. Only buy the battleforce box if that is the cheapest way to get the army you intend to use.

Make sure to *try* shootier Tyranid lists ... you'd be surprised how much better a list can be when it can gun at you all the way in, and THEN assault, vs. one that has to simply get shot at for a couple turns without returning fire and then assault.

Tyranids, in general, are an army whose points revolve around durability. This is an advantage and a handicap. Your Tyranid list will be MORE DIFFICULT to play with than Necrons, BT's or Wolves, for the simple reason that your units (except for monstrous creatures) will be MUCH more fragile and easy to kill than marines and necrons. This CAN be an advantage, though, and that's perhaps the best advice I can give you when considering what to get / etc.

Spinegaunt as example.
    5 point unit
    Fearless, twin-linked assault weapon, fleet, Initiative 4 and BS 3/WS 3, and if you keep them in cover they have an invulnerable save by virtue of the cover itself ... plus, they have the move through cover rule (every Tyranid does).

Why so cheap? 6+ save. GW built the Tyranid book in such a way that the costs for units are RELATIVELY CHEAP b/c the units themselves are VERY fragile ... a spinegaunt in the open is a lasgun shot to kill ... a spinegaunt in a building is tough as nuts to kill.

Because of these factors, you can create a list that if played well is much more durable ... AVOID buying expensive upgrades for your troops, and field MORE troops (even if you do a Nidzilla type list) to compensate ... field 17 force organization chart selections so that you can always out-deploy your opponent, and present him with far too many targets to worry about.

Think of it in these terms: You can pay extra points for a bunch of genestealers, giving them a 4+ save, OR you can make sure you keep them in cover at all times so they have a 4+ or 5+ invul. save, and have MORE genestealers. When building your list and planning your force, that is what you should keep in mind. Unless you care little about losing, 'Nids are about exceptional PLAYERS taking advantage of an army whose cheap price is based on GW's expectation that players are AVERAGE. AVERAGE players cannot manage their own force or lists, and so need to pay for expensive upgrades to their Tyranids, and end up having not as many of them as a result.

I'll stop rambling there, but find all of those things important in considering what to do w/ your 'Nids.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

Some good points. I will have to disagree with not buying the battleforce box until later though. It's a great box with core units that you can pretty much use in any list. Heck, I got the battleforce box and left it on a shelf for a year until I got around to assembling them.

Plus you can't go wrong with gaunts. ;-)

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by TamCoan View Post
    Some good points. I will have to disagree with not buying the battleforce box until later though. It's a great box with core units that you can pretty much use in any list. Heck, I got the battleforce box and left it on a shelf for a year until I got around to assembling them.

Plus you can't go wrong with gaunts. ;-)

I would put forth the theory that it is not a wise investment to spend many dollars in order to shelf something for a year.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

127 (x4)

I would put forth the theory that if you are going to buy one anyway it doesnt matter when you do it.

Of course I dont plan on buying one at all. Cant afford fifty quid in one lump.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -47 (x0)

I try to have a balance, I'm not too good at 40k, but a very Important thing I've learned.
    Take lots of Monstrous creatures, at least one is essential, two or three is ideal.

Warriors are GOOD, take them.
    Melee Flyrants are good, give them TL devourers and they can shoot a little bit before getting in.
    Sniper fex is all but necessary against people with Ordinance tanks (Leman Russ).
    NEVER deep strike any Tyranids in default 40k.
    Gargoyles are pretty good, give them a try and decide for yourself.
    How to use Genestealers properly is a touchy subject, experiment.
    Don't rely on Carnifexes getting into melee, they're too damn slow, but attract a lot of fire.
    And most important of all.
    TAKE LOTS OF GAUNTS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you follow the above guidelines this will happen all by itself, but remember to take enough synapse, MINIMUM 1 per every 500 points.

also a carnifex w/ 2 sets of twinlinked devourers and enhanced senses is very cheap and very effective, try one out sometime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

As a starter, remember to keep your units cheap as possible. Sure you can go nuts with all our possible upgrades, but you would actually make them somewhat weaker as a whole.

1) Tyranid units need to work together. A lone unit of gaunts is not going to do much, but with Synapse they can become really usefull. A lone unit of genestealers is not going to reach you enemy lines without other units to draw fire (gaunts are often used for this). A Shooty Carnifex is not going to do much, when it has no friends to protect it from Close Combat.

2) When using Tyranids, know how to use Synapse properly. Look for what units need them when playing, and what unist are able to provide. Synapse Creatures attract a lot of attention to them, so keep them in hiding.

3) "A bug in the open, is a Dead bug." Keep to cover as much a possible. You have Move Through Cover, so don't fear it for slowing you down.

4) Don't make hybrids. Make you Tnids for one purpose, and use them for that purpose.

Hope this helps.
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

156 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Beardy_Wierdy View Post
    I would put forth the theory that if you are going to buy one anyway it doesnt matter when you do it.

Of course I dont plan on buying one at all. Cant afford fifty quid in one lump.
    Quote Originally Posted by MVBrandt View Post
    I would put forth the theory that it is not a wise investment to spend many dollars in order to shelf something for a year.
    Eh, I find if I don't buy it when I'm excited to get it and work on it, I'll never buy it. Heck I have the latest Wood-Elf army box still sitting on my shelf. I just got tired of painting greens after I did a block of 25 WE spearmen and haven't touched them since. Eventually I'll get the bug again and they're sitting right there waiting on me!

Same thing happens with my nids. I got the reinforcement box way before the WE boxed set. I didn't start working on them for a good 6 months. But now the entire box is finished. WOOT

+ Reply to Thread