A Christmas Gift for you. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

A Christmas Gift for you.

Hi all,
    This will put the Cat amongst the pigdeons but does anyone realise that the troops in a Raider squad must start embarked and not deployed separately.

I have come to this conclusion over at 40K Online and I am a little surprised my self.

The evidence comes from the Raider Squad entry in the codex and the use of the word “mounted” from page 85 in the BGB.

Its not that I want to go through the complete debate again but it is in the rules.

Cheers.

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

Hmm okay then I'll take your word on it. I suppose this just ends free Raiders driving around unless I want to footslog some Wyches or Grotesques.

I suppose I can live with it though, since all my army is mounted and I've stopped playing sniper units except to drop a webway portal, though there, the unit is a WARRIOR squad and BIGGER.

No big issues here for me: the Raider and its squad should be zooming around the battlefield in my opinion.

Thanks for the clarification, wicky.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

I am now torn now as I did allow you to sway my judgement (just this once). I am unsure how to play it (thanks wicky, lol)

I have played it in the past as the raider squad and the raider can be separated at setup with no restrictions on where they may be placed (no 2" rule - they can setup separately anywhere on the board). They both (the raider squad and their raider) had to setup on the board or they both went into reserves (in this case they ended up mounted).

I know the old "City Fight" rules indicated that both the squad and their transport had to be within 2" of each other at setup but since the "Cities of Death" (CoD) rules replaced them I have seen Dark Eldar players claim that they can start separated on the board in both regular 40k games and CoD.

You bring up an interesting point and I can definitely see where the codex leads you to believe that the squads "must" start mounted on their raiders. I no longer split my raider squads from their raiders at setup anymore as it was one of my favorite tactics to turbo empty raiders at the enemy as decoys but for the last year I have been leaving them mounted so I my interest in resolving this dilemma is minimal at best.

All I can say is that here is another fruitless discussion in trying to interpret our encryptive codex. I honestly do not believe you can figure this out (as well as the other "loopholes" you so dearly like to challange) and is really one of those things that does not affect the game much at all.

On the otherhand, I know you get bored and figured a friendly "chat" is in order to keep the forum interesting. Good luck!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Hi Mate,
    You hit the nail on the head here, I tend to, how can I say……..investigate more out of boredom and just love a good rules punch up but please I don’t wish anyone to take my word for it – read the rules and decide for yourself.

But by RAW the squad must be mounted when it is purchased from the Codex but its not that I have seen this strictly enforced due to the general allowance from the BGB that they can be deployed separately. Don’t you just wish for a new Codex where these weird wordings would disappear?

By the way it does affect your army if you are trying to deploy empty Raiders as some sort of decoy and play “surprise” 40K by popping your units out elsewhere on the board.

But yeah, just trying to generate some feedback here and something different from the usual “Can you rate my Army?”

Thanks.

P.S. Kwi, the bottom line on how to actually play it I suppose must come from your gaming group and if you could bounce off them and get back to me I would appreciate it greatly.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

+ Reply to Thread