Grey Knights? Sorry what? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Knights? Sorry what?

Im sending a humble request to fellow Eldar players....
    My regular opponent, a Dark Angels player, has recently gone mad and bought a whole bunch of Grey Knights (something like 3 squads with 3 LR's). Now, what he has foolishly done is bragged about them a tad, told me a bunch of stuff about weapons ignoring cover and invun. saves, mad psychic powers, crazy anti-psyker weapons and the sort, and I'm a tad worried...
    I play pretty much ulthwe heavy, reliance on my farseers and warlocks with a few aspects and falcons/wraithlords, so any tips or guidance on what to expect and, more importantly, how to kill it.
    many thanks in advance.

Herald of the Colonel; Festooned with pistols, riddled with vermin, and finger lickin' good...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

I have some daemonhunters myself but all in all for all their special rules and weapons they can be killed just as easily as a regular space marine or terminator. However because of their special ruling it makes targeting them with range weapons a little difficult (They sort of have a constant night fighting ruling around them). So yeh...thats how easy they are to kill.

As for their special weapons, they don't have much to fear in terms of anti-tank, as the bulk of this comes from either a dreadnought or a landraider (There are other sources but you catch my drift). There are weapons that ignor invulnurable saves, these are really only deadly to your seers, they come in two flavours. A heavy bolter that can fire on the move (not too fearful as they cost an arm and a leg to purchase from the codex...so you wont see to many) and the more fearful one the incinerator, a heavy flamer template basically. However you do still get your noraml armour saves should they exceed the ap. Avoiding these weapons arn't too hard but you should look after your seer council, in this case I would gear your seers to using powers which do not require LoS...this includes Eldritch Storm, Doom...and the use of guide and fortune for nearby units is also very useable. Note that Grey Knights can dispell your psychic powers if it targets them, unless they have a psychic hood, psychic powers which target your own troops cannot be impeded. In addition to this, Grey knights also have their own psychic powers that can hurt...scourging for example also ignors invulnurable saves, so in this case you can use your own deterrant against them in the form of Runes of Warding. Very cheap and very annoying to Inquisitors.

The grey knights strength is in their ability to move an shoot 24"....thats some serious anti-infantry firepower so you may want to be careful in that respect. Their other strength is in their emense strength in close combat (str 6)...the justicar and terminators get this strength boost as well as ignor arnour saves.

So what do i recommend? Well despit their great strength in combat, shining spears will nueter them (unless their special ruling enables them to strike first. But close range shooting is another way to deal with them. With the speed of the eldar this should not be too much of a problem. The problem with daemon hunters is that any casulties they take is normally quite a fatal blow due to their high points cost.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

one more thing to add:
    i'm not sure on this one, but i think they have some minor protection from psychic powers.
    plus they have a power called the aegis which makes it harder to shoot at them.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hug cover and concentrate on taking mission objectives over killing his units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Kossolax_the_Foresworn View Post
    one more thing to add:
    i'm not sure on this one, but i think they have some minor protection from psychic powers.
    plus they have a power called the aegis which makes it harder to shoot at them.
    Warlock powers arn't minor....as such there arn't really any clarifications on such things, except in the previous chaos codex.

As for concentrating on objectives, it is advisable you do so but you can concentrate on killig also. Grey Knights can be outgunned and outfought due to their limited numbers, but they're no pushover is all so you've got to be careful in that respect.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

He meant the protection is minor, not the powers.

Poor enough shots into them and they go down. Grey Knights are a very reactive army, so he will just try and counter whatever you do. They usually have trouble bringing down vehicles as they lack many anti tank options like other armies. Despite their s6 they can really be bogged down in close combat, and they will eventually use as you probably outnumber them 2 to 1.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by frozencore View Post
    He meant the protection is minor, not the powers.
    But the protection itself is from minor psychic powers, isn't it?

And the protection from shooting, as I understand it, is actually "The Shrouding"... the Aegis is their armour, which grants the protection from minor psychic powers, if I have my thinking cap on straight.

The biggest thing to remember is that Grey Knights are no more survivable than normal Space Marines, yet cost nearly twice as much per model. They shouldn't be a huge problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really playy eldar, but I have come up against grey knights alot. I think anything with rending or any sort of power weapon would come in handy, because they can be killed like a normal space marine. You could try instant death to, but you would probably end up only killing 1 or 2 each turn.
    Hey! Look at the little.... Oh ****!

Senior Member JuliusGaiusCaesar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post

And the protection from shooting, as I understand it, is actually "The Shrouding"... the Aegis is their armour, which grants the protection from minor psychic powers, if I have my thinking cap on straight.
    IT grants COMPLETE protection from minor psychic powers. Also, it acts sort of like a psychic hood, but only against powers that target the squad. For example, a damaging psychic spell could be psychic hooded like this, but fortune could not. Pretty sure this is correct, don't have book in front of me though so i could be wrong.
    Et imperator Invocato Diabolus Daemonica Exorcist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post

The biggest thing to remember is that Grey Knights are no more survivable than normal Space Marines, yet cost nearly twice as much per model. They shouldn't be a huge problem.
    Nope they have protection from regular powers too with the aegis. I probably can't detail exactly how it works, but it is about a 50/50 shot any power targeting will fail.

For everyone that says they are less survivable than regular SM. I've argued their survivability vs. normal space marines many times in the DH section. With a good general commanding them they can be more survivable than space marines despite their price tag. Considering your friend is just starting them, however, means you will have a few games before he starts to catch on. It takes practice and some skill but 24" assault weapons are nothing to dismiss, it means they can target what they want to target and they can deny you line of sight and combat if they want.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast