Do you play the same Tyranid list over and over and why? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you play the same army over and over and why?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - because it wins

5 13.89%
  • Yes - other (explain)

7 19.44%
  • No - because I get bored

5 13.89%
  • No - because I tailor it to my opponent

1 2.78%
  • No - because I'm still learning what I like and what I don't

11 30.56%
  • No - other (explain)

2 5.56%
  • Both yes & no, or some other answer. Post an explanation.

5 13.89%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Do you play the same Tyranid list over and over and why?

Here is a poll so I can guage how many of us play the same army with the same units and how many of us like to mix it up and why.

What I like to do is to come up with a basic all-comers list, and this list gets minor changes from time to time. Then, based on that list, I make alternates based on a certain theme, keeping effectiveness in mind of course, and I play one of the alternate lists at least half the time.

For instance, my basic list has a broodlord, but most of my alternate lists do not. I like the broodlord, and I take him to have some genestealers on the table that can infiltrate, and because I don't really like genestealers as a troop. Also, I use a biovore often, but certainly not always. Sometimes I put a walking Hive Tyrant and sometimes not, but I almost always have a flying Hive Tyrant.

Basically I change it up for three reasons. Mostly because I get bored playing the same list over and over, but also because I like to improve my skills by using varying tactics. Perfecting a tactic and sticking to it gets boring to me. I also generally play against friends and if I managed to make a perfect list and perfect the tactics of using it enough to make it nearly unbeatable, we would all quickly lose interest in the game.

Of course... I do pride myself on making good lists so there are certain unit configurations that I really don't like. I also pride myself on skill, so I sometimes use units I don't believe are very good just to see how good I can do with them. My lists are ever changing and are always competitive, but I never play a list I don't consider fun (such as psychic choir).

So how do you manage your army? Do you change it up or play the same list over and over?

-Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

I answered yes, other. Many of my regular opponents tailor their lists to try and beat me. I like that I don't have to change mine at all and still can beat their BEST attempts at building lists with the exclusive goal of killing mine.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

156 (x3)

I usually alter my list a bit here and there. Mostly because I'm always playing around with different units and seeing if something else works better. I also often get lists tailored specifically to go against me. (It's gotten to the point where my opponents try to have a 6-4 foot table with absolutly NO terrain on it when I play.)

It's also fun to throw a suprise list out against an opponent that they're not expecting. They come to the board expecting your same list, the one they just tailored their army to fight, only to see you have something new. The look of "oh crap, now what do I do?!?" on their faces is priceless...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

Hive Commander ZenGamer

I voted yes and no. Allow me to explain

1) At 1500 points, I have a balanced list, which comprises of a Winged Hive Tyrant, Shooting Hive Tyrant, Sniperfex, Dakkafex, and a mixture of gaunts, hormagaunts, genestealers, raveners, and gargoyles. Its a list that I cannot boast to be unbeatable, but I think is very competitive and adaptable to most armies and missions. In this sense, I use the same list

2) However, recently I gave many of these models to my brother. As I really wanted to try out a swarm-oriented list (which I classify as one with 60+ troops models). Right now I'm still trying to find out which units works best with respect to the other units I field. So in the next few months I'll be using different lists (making various tweaks) after I've played at least 5 battles. So in these sense I must say "No" because I'm still trying to discover my list

3) Sometimes I meet someone who likes to play specific mission (Such as cities of death). Or I'll finish up a model that I just want to try out (such as my Trygon). In this sense I want to play with the model and make a new list. I'm not trying to cheat my opponent, although this is a case where I change up my list. As I do like the hobby aspect of Tyranids, my reasoning is just to keep myself interested in Tyranids

I'd also like to add that there a lots of good "take-all-comers" lists out there. I consider my 1500 point list competitive and adaptable. Yet its completely different from Hive Commander MVBrandt's list (which is also vicious). Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to see the list. I don't mind sharing it with people that want to see it.
    Rudy Wilfred Picardo
    Tyranid Player
    Current Record (W/L/D) 143/112/60
    Recent Battle - 1500 pt draw vs. IG player (mission: Seek And Destroy)

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

Tamco, I get you there.
    I simply gain a slight advantage in my head ego-wise when they bring that super custom tailored list, talk about how they're going to gank me with it, then pull their last model off on turn 5 regardless.

The frustration in their face is total payback for the doucheyness of customtailoring a list to beat someone.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Good so far... different ways to play Tyranids that are all successful!! That's what I like!

Quote Originally Posted by MVBrandt View Post

The frustration in their face is total payback for the doucheyness of customtailoring a list to beat someone.

As a side note, there is one time when I think it's fun to tailor a list... When both players do it. Each player knows what army he will face, though not the particular list, and both players make their lists accordingly. It can make for some fun games. Perhaps the Tyranid are invading a Space Marine stronghold and the marines are prepared...

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

156 (x3)

Heh, yeah I agree. I do get a certain satisfaction when they come to the table with a comment like, "OK, I figured out EXACTLY how you play and EXACTLY how to take you down." Only to be wiped off the board by the end of the game.

My favorite example of this was from an older game system, "Babylon 5 Wars". We were playing a campaign match and my fleet list was generated by someone else and given to me to play. I had met my scenario objective and decided to leave the map, allowing my opponent to get his objective. (he was way down in terms of overall game points so I though I was being nice.) He thought he sensed weakness and a chance to wipe me completely out so he made the statement, "you're not leaving this map. I'm going to hunt you down and destroy everything you have." Two turns later I left the map and he had no ships left. That was pretty much the end of the campaign, lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

189 (x8)

I change my lists with just about every battle, it prevents my dinner from not beeing able to anticipate on what he might expect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

No – ADD, or maybe it’s just normal boredom. I cant make up my mind.8X

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x5)

I have a pretty solid list that I use in most of my games, but it's never completely the same, or doesn't stay that way long. Mainly I just like fiddling around with lists. I think building new lists is one of the most fun parts about playing an army, so I like trying to work in some slightly different units or work the squad numbers around some. I like to use some new stuff, not to mess with my opponents, but simply because I become bored with using the same list over and over again. I just think it's more fun to change it up every once in a while.

So I guess I'm one of the people that gets bored and likes to try out new combos.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast