Piranha any good? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Piranha any good?

Hey guys just wondering what your thoughts were on those piranhas to me they dont seen very effective. it says in the book that they are good at helping pathfinder teams how is this possible?

Thx~dapope

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've played three games with one with a fusion blaster so far and they are rather good tank hunters in my experience. I just keep it behind some cover and wait till i have good position and a marker light hit. In the 3 games its taken out 2 land raiders, two IG artilliary tanks that i dont remember the name of, and it killed off 2 necron imortals and kept the squad tied up and busy for 2 turns. I'm goin to get a squad built here in a few weeks and try them out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never really played with one but they always seem to be a little on the expensive side. Although the speed and the fact its a skimmer do give it a degree of protection. And the ability to drop small units of drones where required could be useful I suppose.

With the burst cannon I suppose it'd be useful to pick off isolated targets and small squads with heavy weapons who hide at the back although it'd probably die rather fast like this.

A few armed with fusion blasters would eat though armour very effectivly as there speed allows them to close fast, but for the points I would rather broadsides to fill this roll.

On the whole maybe worth trying if you don't like the idea of the slow moving broadsides for AT, or you need the heavy support slots but I'd spend the points and the dosh elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

I love my Piranhas. Here's a few recommendations:

1. Fusion, fusion, fusion.- You can get cheaper burst cannons on stealth or crisis suits. And besides, what's spiffier than moving 12" then firing a melta weapon?

2. Solo Piranhas.- A single Piranha can stay out of sight a lot easier than a whole squadron. Also, blast weapons plus open topped = trouble. And: Why gimp a whole squadron just because one was stunned?

3. Always face toward the bolters.- Its much more crucial that you keep that front armor of 11 facing S4 and below weapons; don't worry about much bigger guns. The heavier weapons will get the glance anyway, and S4 can't even touch AV11. It's much better to risk 2 Lascannon shots (S9) than it is to risk 20 rapid bolter shots, since it only glances anyway.

I myself like to run 3 solo Fusion Piranhas in bigger games.

You say: "What!? No Pathfinders!?"

A little unconventional, I know. I hate playing static, so I don't trust markerlights. Hence, no Pathfinders. And the tank-bustin' ability of my Piranhas gives me flexibility with my Railheads to use them for anti-infantry.

Remember the 3 F's. Fast, Flanking, Fusion...
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -47 (x0)

I like the idea, having a single fast melta gun is awesome.
    Especially when you can pretty much guarantee it'll hit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterous View Post
    I like the idea, having a single fast melta gun is awesome.
    Especially when you can pretty much guarantee it'll hit.
    That is a big call. How do you figure "guarantee"?
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psi has got it right.
    Any of my lists above 500pts has at least a 'monat' Piranha with Fusion Blasters, Decoy Launcher and Targeting Array.
    1500+ lists will start having teams of two, but that's max cause the unit size just gets to much to handle.
    What do you do when it's 5 in the morning, you're exhausted and you only have 3 hours until your alarm clock goes off?

Troll :)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    Yep this is a good point. The Piranha is base BS3 and even with a TA only has a 66% chance of hitting, thats very very far from a guarantee. Also if you move 24" you cannot fire with the Fusion.
    To try to maximise the potential hit rate for a Piranha you have to pay 5 pts for the TA and have ML guidance (which costs more again) and even then the hit rate is only 84%. You can never guarantee a hit.

As for "helping" Pathfinders, well this is just the fluff and I think you will find that in games terms they do not work that well as a dedicated "team" sort of thing.

The Pathfinder team does allow the Piranha to carry seeker missiles (a well documented and popular use for the Piranha, allowing fast 24" move, coupled to the launch of the Piranhas seeker missiles into vulnerable side and rear armour,which is reached by virtue of the Piranhas speed). Also the Pathfinders can up the BS of the Piranha to a max of BS5.
    However these benefits can be obtained from any unit using a Markerlight and not just the Pathfinder squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every Tau player loves the fact that skimmers are almost ludicrously hard to kill. Khorne berzerkers + devilfish = 3 turns of lols.

gives me flexibility with my Railheads to use them for anti-infantry.
    Submunition, right? I never thought of that. You use burst cannons or SMS?

it says in the book that they are good at helping pathfinder teams how is this possible?
    I figure that's just fluff for the sake of fluff, because they both move fast and stuff. On the table, seeker missiles for great justice. I never use gun drones anymore - I play against Marines almost all the time and the damn things rarely hit and never wound. I take seekers on the fish I attach to the pathfinders too. The only thing is each markerlight hit can be used to up the pirhana's BS or launch one seeker missile but not both, so you need to land ~3-5 of them to do any good. This pretty much requires pathfinders, you just can't get the number of markers you need from drones or squad based stuff.
    Last edited by Ausare; January 13th, 2008 at 13:21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -47 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    I'm suggesting that they would have markerlight counters to use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast