those darn railheads - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those darn railheads

So after my past few weeks playing I must say I'm feeling a little down in the dumps....
    I can't seem to kill anything with my railguns on my hammerheads.

They always set up for a sweet shot but either miss completly or roll a 1 for armour pen.

On friday I had a shot at a dreadnaught first turn. I hit then roll a 1 for my AP. He shoots back with his missle launcher.....hits....hahaha you can only get a glancing mate....rolls a 6.....boom. Dead hammerhead. As I was playing against a pretty much non vehicle marine army I had taken only 1 railhead....choosing to use that to take out his dread then sub munition his 10 man squads. I had taken an Ionhead to get that nice range and multi shot ap3 goodness...which he then shot with the same dreadnaught next turn. Got a hit....hahaha get another 6 I dare you....he rolls a 6. Boom. Another dead hammerhead.

So in 2 rounds he took out both my hammerheads.

I managed to get to turn 6 but lost the game 2 loot counters to my 1.

Anyone else suffer from this infuriating lack of luck with your hammerheads?

Last edited by Skarsgard; January 14th, 2008 at 22:00. Reason: Capitals and spelling

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yah sometimes but then I remember the games where I take out a land raider first turn. Or one time my two rail heads took out two monoliths on the first turn before the cron player even got to do anything with them
    Last edited by Skarsgard; January 14th, 2008 at 22:01. Reason: Capitals and spelling

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by xsickpeoplex View Post
    so after my past few weeks playing I must say I'm feeling a little down in the dumps....
    I can't seem to kill anything with my railguns on my hammerheads.

they always set up for a sweet shot but either miss completly or roll a 1 for armour pen.

on friday I had a shot at a dreadnaught first turn. I hit then roll a 1 for my AP. he shoots back with his missle launcher.....hits....hahaha you can only get a glancing mate....rolls a 6.....boom. dead hammerhead. as i was playing against a pretty much non vehicle marine army I had taken only 1 railhead....choosing to use that to take out his dread then sub munition his 10 man squads. I had taken an Ionhead to get that nice range and multi shot ap3 goodness...which he then shot with the same dreadnaught next turn. got a hit....hahaha get another 6 I dare you....he rolls a 6. boom. another dead hammerhead.

so in 2 rounds he took out both my hammerheads.

I managed to get to turn 6 but lost the game 2 loot counters to my 1.

anyone else suffer from this infuriating lack of luck with your hammerheads?
    This is one of the main reasons I insist on taking Marker light support. I always take a Pathfinder squad (with TL equipped Ui) and a Skyray.
    True it only helps with the to hit roll, but it has to be noted that to roll for damage a hit is always handy.
    I also take the Skyray for its seekers, these are handy for taking out any armour (even AV14 with luck).

The other point thing is that I do not rely on the Hammerhead to take down lighter AV value vehicles (I usually use them more for the subs round), I use two Deathrain teams for this and they do a good job.
    I also use a Helios commander solely as anti transport and he also does a good job at BS5 with an auto penetrating Fusion.

Everbody suffers from the Dice roll of doom every now and again, I find I tend to have very little trouble hitting but usually struggle with damage rolls (damned stunned results)

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

... anyone else suffer from this infuriating lack of luck with your hammerheads?
    Me too, mon twin, absolutely. Which is why I've started using XV88s with shield drones instead. Sure you don't get the nice ordnance pie-plate with them but I've yet to miss with my TL railguns (and boy do I use that re-roll!).

I never thought I'd ever leave home without at least 1 HH in any Army over 500pts, but recent experience to date has shown that a single shot is almost bound to miss on the turn that you need it most, hence the drift to XV88s instead.

~ Raven ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    Everbody suffers from the Dice roll of doom every now and again, I find I tend to have very little trouble hitting but usually struggle with damage rolls (damned stunned results)
    This has been my problem of late.

I've been using my green dice. I keep thinking that the luck will come soon enough. But it isn't. One ended up getting chucked out of the window on friday. I'm at the point were I Can't affford to change the dice because the new luck may just be around the corner.....

Jeez....that all sounds so bad written down!! But no player no mater how good can win if the dice gods aren't with him!!
    Last edited by Skarsgard; January 14th, 2008 at 22:02.

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

... but no player no mater how good can win if the dice gods aren't with him!!
    True, mon twin, true. Which is no doubt why Napoleon was moved to say:

"Don't give me a good general, give me a lucky one".

And if that's what the great man himself thought, who are we to argue?

All of which makes taking TL weapons systems all that more important ... ... ...

~ Raven ~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Ravenscraig View Post
    True, mon twin, true. Which is no doubt why Napoleon was moved to say:

"Don't give me a good general, give me a lucky one".

And if that's what the great man himself thought, who are we to argue?

All of which makes taking TL weapons systems all that more important ... ... ...

~ Raven ~
    One Hammerhead with Railgun, XV88 2 man team with attached HQ Shas'o and Skyray. This to me = death to my opponents.. Railgun for subs, SV88 and Shas for armour killing and Skyray to help the hits and to provide nice Seeker missile goodness.
    BS3 Hammerhead, twin linked XV88, BS5 Shas'O and Skyray to boost BS means very few misses, now if only ML's helped with damage rolls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I'm having a moan and that the rail gun is amazing but its just frustrating that in my last 2 games it hasn't done a single thing of note. It happens. and yes Ive had the games where I've took out the monolith or land raider in the first turn but you remember the failures more than the successes!

Its just hard to take when last year my tau went undefeated in around 30 odd games. this year both of my games have been defeats!

thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one guys!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not having any diffiulty with my hammerheads other than they get knocked out so easily. It is my skyray that is killing me. I managed to get a army down to one dreadnough. I launched 4 seekermissiles from my skyray. 3 missed and 1 didn't penatrate armour. How is that for luck when they hit on 2's and penatrate on 2's
    The Aun's servant

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I tend to use my XV88's for tank hunting and tend to use my hammerhead almost exclusively for the submunition shot.

It is frustrating when you expose a 160pt vehicle to take a shot at an enemy vehicle only to fluff the dice rolls.

I once played a game where I fired 24 pulse rifle shots and only hit once. Gotta love dice.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast