Mobile marker lights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Mobile marker lights

Can someone help me out here, im struggling to find decent markerlight support other than path finders.

Marker drones are the only other option to me really (From what i can see and i have only just started browsing into tau so prove me wrong!) and they just dont cut it. marker lights are heavy and that means i cant use them while 'JSJ'ing. I was going to attach one to my stealth suits.

Help.

Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

There are some threads about this subject hereabouts, but to give you a few ideas:

Stealth Marker Team: 3-4 Members, T-Ldr with TA, HWTL, ML, HWDC+2MDs. The Team Members take BSF as the cheapest option for support system. This unit cannot move in the Movement Phase but *can* do so in the Assault Phase, thus are able to relocate should this be necessary. Expensive-ish unit, but set at ML maximum range they are almost untouchable with return fire. The expense puts some folks off them, but I really like them.

6-man Fire Warrior unit with 'Ui upgrade. He has a HWTL and a ML. If you have the points, give him a HWDC+2MDs as well. Makes the unit very expensive though.

Skyray. Probably the best all-round ML provider: usually will be used to provide ML support for the Hammerheads and Broadsides, but this does not always have to be the case.

Tetra Scout vehicles: taking TL and DL, these guys are surprisingly good at being a thorn in the enemy's side. Use them with flank-flying Piranhas against enemy vehicles for side armour shots.

Gue'Vesa Auxiliaries: the Gue'vesa'ui can take an ML as well, making this probably the cheapest option to gain an ML.

Hope some of these were of help.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Senior Member Spartan Command061's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    There are some threads about this subject hereabouts, but to give you a few ideas:

Stealth Marker Team: 3-4 Members, T-Ldr with TA, HWTL, ML, HWDC+2MDs. The Team Members take BSF as the cheapest option for support system. This unit cannot move in the Movement Phase but *can* do so in the Assault Phase, thus are able to relocate should this be necessary. Expensive-ish unit, but set at ML maximum range they are almost untouchable with return fire. The expense puts some folks off them, but I really like them.

6-man Fire Warrior unit with 'Ui upgrade. He has a HWTL and a ML. If you have the points, give him a HWDC+2MDs as well. Makes the unit very expensive though.

Skyray. Probably the best all-round ML provider: usually will be used to provide ML support for the Hammerheads and Broadsides, but this does not always have to be the case.

Tetra Scout vehicles: taking TL and DL, these guys are surprisingly good at being a thorn in the enemy's side. Use them with flank-flying Piranhas against enemy vehicles for side armour shots.

Gue'Vesa Auxiliaries: the Gue'vesa'ui can take an ML as well, making this probably the cheapest option to gain an ML.

Hope some of these were of help.

E.
    I thought about the stealth marker team, it seemed appealing to start off with but the more i thought about it, its just silly. You get 3 ML's, two with only a bs of 3, in a unit of 5. That means you can suffer only 2 casulaties before you begin seriously hamper your markerlight capability. For 186pts in the unit you've listed,you can get 7 pathfinders including shas'ui with HW TL for less. Giving you more ablative wounds and extra insurance that the unit you wanted lit up is marked. Sure you don't get the stealth field but from experience, its that combined with the suits mobility that keeps them alive, one without the other is no where near as effective. Also an assualt unit can quickly catch them up or at least force them to forgo a turn of shooting to flee. Whereas the pathfinders give you the option to realocate in relative safety from most assaulters, or an extra tank to FoF, or upgrade to a warfish and give fire support.

In truth there are not many other ways to get ML's in any decent quantity once you exclude the pathfinders. Except multiple units of static Fire warriors lighting units for each other, but i do not like the single BS3 shots. To risky.

Skyrays are not a personal favourite, i prefer to fill my heavy slots with XV88's and Subs. Still they are effective in certain lists.

Just a question. Why don't you want to field pathfinders? any particular reason? Note that markerlights are not required for effective tau lists. I field none at 1500pts and 1750pts, only at 2000pts have i fielded them, but rarely nowadays do i play that big, and have sold my pathfinders.

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1329 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Faranor View Post
    Just a question. Why don't you want to field pathfinders? any particular reason? Note that markerlights are not required for effective tau lists. I field none at 1500pts and 1750pts, only at 2000pts have i fielded them, but rarely nowadays do i play that big, and have sold my pathfinders.
    Sorry y post was a bit vauge. I am fielding pathfinders, its just that i dont have enought points for another squad and i would like some more MLs.

Its silly ow marker drones are still heavy, they should be assualt on them. grrr. It would make them much better for stealth suits and such.

Dan

Senior Member Spartan Command061's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Sorry, i assumed from your initial post that you wanted to know about the different ML options.

Cheap markerlight units. Well i'm assuming you don't have the 128pts required for a 4man unit of pathfinders so i'll work on that basis

Fire Warrior Squad. 6 incl shas'ui w/ml 80pts, or 85 if you want a HWTL

Bog standard Skyray gets you two.

Sniper Drones, just use the networked ML hit for another unit and count the railrifles as extra security, the extra deaths invoked by the ml are more than likely to be caused by the rifles.

Fire warrior squad, 6 incl shas'ui w/ML HWMT and a Marker drone 115pts

Stealth team, 3 incl shas'ui Teamleader w/ML 105pts

I'm not sure about the forgeworld options, not knowing price details and that. But there is a battlesuit that has a markerlight or the tetra scout vehicle, i'm pretty sure they both have ML's, just don't know the points.

hope these options help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you take a 6 man unit of Human Auxiliaries (rules can be found inn the Tau section of the GW website), you can get a ML + 5 Lasguns a turn for 56 Pts.

5+ \ 0 \ 0 - 3'000+ Pts - Dal'yth Sept

0 \ 0 \ 0 - Work In Progress - Hive Fleet Hammerhead

0 \ 0 \ 0 - WIP

Victory \ Draw \ Defeat

Credit to Legionnaire for the bars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Faranor View Post
    I'm not sure about the forgeworld options, not knowing price details and that. But there is a battlesuit that has a markerlight or the tetra scout vehicle, i'm pretty sure they both have ML's, just don't know the points.
    As for the Forgeworld options.

The Tetra is a nice unit, costs 50pts, which includes twin-linked pulse rifles, a markerlight and disruption pod.
    They also have the Scout USR and can take most vehicle upgrades. I usually field mine with a targeting array and decoys, no need for a multi-tracker since they are fast.
    Downside is that they are £30 for 2 models, still that's 60pts for a BS4 mobile markerlight.

The other Forgeworld markerlight unit is the XV84 battlesuit. Comes with a markerlight and target lock, plus you still have 3 hardpoints. As it is only an option for Shas'o or Shas'el it does mean that while you will have a more static commander you benefit from a BS5 markerlight. I believe the upgrade cost about 15pts, I don't have my book to hand.

Of course to use these you will need to buy Imperial Armour 3, which is an expensive book, but the pictures are very pretty (story is rubbish, but that's going off topic)

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Have you thought of taking Sniper Drones? They have a markerlight Spotter in the unit and are effective in their own right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

im a huge fan of markerlights mate and pathfinders are by far the best option. Problem is their to expensive with their compulsive Devilfish choice to really field more than one unit of them.

Skyray - Possibly the most efficient option of the Tau Empire codex. Take off the cost of the seekermissiles and your paying 15 points less for a hammerhead chassy that comes with 2 networked markerlights. Very very cost efficient. Very handy for marking things up for your Hammerhead. Also tends to draw alot of fire which is also good (IF youve used all your seekers which you should aim to do ASAP) since it takes shots off your hammerhead.
    Tip: Try and use up all your seekers in the first turn or two as this tank draws alot of firepower. have different teams of markerlights (pathfinders,sniperdrones, skyray or tetra's if you have them.) light up all the opponents AV12 or lower and watch his face drop when you crack all his armor in one turn.

Sniperdrones - Ive come to really love theese guys. 3 BS 4 markerlights (if you take all three squads that is) Really adds up over a game. Not to mention they have 3 sniper drones per team which if used correctly are also more than worth their points. Off topic but tip to sniperdrones so you can help evaluate if their worth the cost to you. While capable of picking a unit to peices with markerlights support try having each drone shoot a different unit. With three units of drones you have the chance to force 9 units on the table to take pinning tests. Has saved my bacon more than once

Pathfinders: Love em Love em Love em. While they tend to draw piles upon piles of enemy fire (usually my first unit to get shot at in most games due to my history of landing 6 or seven of the markerlights from my unit of 8 almost every turn) They come with Markerlights and pulse carbines which actually adds up to a versitile unit. If need be you can have them abandon their ML duties and start forcing pinning tests or just shoot up a unit of 5+ saves. Downside is you MUST purchase a devilfish along with them. And seeing as for the most part their a stationary unit it doesnt really help them all that much. Deck it out as a warfish and do your best to make it a nuisance. Blocking off canyons and such so the opponent loses area to move and such has always done me alot of good. Can also stick in behind cover and light things up with smartmissiles

Markerdrones: Expensive peices of garbage for the most part. Being heavy usually means you cant move your unit and use the markerlights. If theirs one thing ive learned about tau if your not moving your getting shot to effin peices. Only viable use for theese that ive seen is to attach them to your Broadsides as they wont be moving much anyways.

Firewarriors: Not very effecient points wise. Your firewarrior's BS leaves much to be desired so your missing half the time. And since its not networked the firewarriors cant use the lights themselves. You can add markerdrones to the unit but that adds a heapfull of points that could be much better spent elsewere.

Stealthsuits : Havent used them. Some swear by them, others swear at the people who swear by them. One word sums them up. EXPENSIVE. All in all taking this seems to negate most of the benifits of the stealths. Their short range Burstcannons, their JSJ ability and their ability to infiltrate. All in all seems counter productive.

Tetra's : Havent used them. so cant comment to much other then they seem to be a great way to light up targets and just be a pain in the arse in general.

hope that helped. ;Y
    Last edited by The Loki; January 21st, 2008 at 14:04.
    Looking for help with your Ogre kingdoms. Need help against them? have burning questions about life or why Dave's Avatar is so creepy. Feel free to stop by and ask OverTyrant Loki

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1104558

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just a heads up, in forge world, there is a unit of 1-3 sensor towers that are basic marker lights and taget locks (i think) they seem cheap enough pointwise and you deploy them on some nice high terrrain for LOS! opponents tend to forget they are there till you loght up their transports for seeker missles!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast