Word/Hive Fleet Association...Well, sort of... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Word/Hive Fleet Association...Well, sort of...

Hi all,

Some of you may remember a couple of posts I made a while ago regarding a Tyranid army I recieved for Chrstmas. Well, I've started assembling my mass of aliens, and am now up to the dreaded point where I need to pick a color scheme. Now, I know you've probably had heaps of threads about Tyranid color schemes, but if you can help me out (or link me to a previous thread that can) I would really appreciate it.

Now, regarding the title of the thread. I thought that maybe I'd try something different to start with. I'm pretty sure that my Hive Fleet will be named Nezumia, so I'd like you to tell me the color scheme that the name conjures up in your mind. Once I've had a couple of replies I'll post the schemes I was looking at/thinking of.

As well as posting the scheme that leaps to mind, any other hints or tips would be great.

Thanks,
    Krystofor

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x3)

Hey Chief!

To be honest, I always liked the Purple/Bone, or similar combination of a cold colour coupled with a flesh or bone, very cold and evil looking, maybe an Ice Blue or something of the sort Visually striking both up close and from a table view.

Edit++- I'll leave this thread here for the Nid players to give opinions, and may shift to painting section after a while for a greater perspective of answers
    Last edited by jONESIE; January 20th, 2008 at 11:53.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar_Hasad
    You need more Mordians?
    They still exist?
    LO RULES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jONESIE View Post
    Hey Chief!

To be honest, I always liked the Purple/Bone, or similar combination of a cold colour coupled with a flesh or bone, very cold and evil looking, maybe an Ice Blue or something of the sort Visually striking both up close and from a table view.

Edit++- I'll leave this thread here for the Nid players to give opinions, and may shift to painting section after a while for a greater perspective of answers
    I'm actually quite a fan of ice blue, so that might be worth looking in to. Thanks for the offer by the way. Please feel free to move it whenever you think it's ready.

Now for a strange question. Does anyone know if I am legally allowed to post copyrighted pictures here if I reference them fully? I ask because I have the 3rd edition Tyranid Codex, the one with the hoard of color schemes. Would I be allowed to post pictures of the ones I am interested in, or am I better off just trying to explain which one I like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rock the dark red flesh and black plates with blue lines
    Nids :P

Wangflurry Stonemaul US (World of Warcraft)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Krystofor,

Maybe you could paint up some trial gaunts in the colour schemes you're thinking about and post photos of those?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Krystofor View Post
    Nezumia
    That name reminds me of Godzilla. It also reminds me of volcanos. Godzilla is dark green and volcanos are found on islands with green trees in the tropics. Volcanic rock is also often very black and lava is hot and yellow. Dark green + green + black + yellow.

I suggest that you use a dark green/green colour for your Tyranids bodies, the skin exoskeleton part. You could do the carapace black and the eyes yellow. This would give you a very alien kind of look.

When painting Tyranid it is best to think about how you wan them to look. You can do them very dark or very light. Either way works as the dark ones are very menacing. The lighter ones stand out and look similar to poisonous insects in that they advertise thier appearance to intimidate people.

Here is a link to Hive fleet Moloch. It is very good for providing ideas, loads of weird stuff.

Hive Fleet Moloch

I used a scorpion theme in my own hive fleet 'Scorpio'. Here is a link to images of some of my Tyranids, not all are scorpion-like. When doing a theme like that they don't all have to follow it.

Leech-man/Tyranids - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

You could think about something similar. Basically try to give all your Tyranids a certain kind of look to help make them look a little different than the other Hive fleets out there. They could be lizardish on occassion, the better to fit in with Godzilla if you like him. They could also be slimy swamp critters. You could use loads of water effects on thier bases to show that and gloss varnish on them to make them icky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in my opinion buddy:
    you need to do what is pleasing to your eyes, you can always use "background fluff" such as environment or past events as to why your tyranids look that way. I had a color scheme ready before I even owned my first tyranid alien. i'm currently looking for a name to match them but as I configure the list and give them a playstyle identity(or 5), i'll be sure to give it a good name to stick.

Hope to see some good pics of a good color scheme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

I'm very partial to bone coloured skin with any combination of color for the armour plates.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Pirate Chaos Space Marine Mechatius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

I think of Tyranids as a natural force. The word I like best about them is "super-evolved". I like earth tones a lot and use a few shade variations of Catachan green over black base coat on the carpace and claws with "browned" bleached bone for the other parts. Lately I've come to consider to add some glossy red for the flesh. kind of a "washed in blood" kind of feel.
    I would look to nature for inspiration. If you like acid biomorphs, go for bright green like poisonous frogs or snakes. If you want to play sneaky, go for colours that make them blend in with the terrain you usually play in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

I have a bleached-bone/purple scheme going on. Here's an example of it:

+ Reply to Thread