Kommandos: how do you use them? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

Kommandos: how do you use them?

I really like the idea of Kommandos, and in the first game I've played with the new Orks they worked pretty well. I'd like to know how other people are using them (or plan to use them), or why they aren't.

I used a small unit upgraded with two rokkits and infiltrated them in the closest piece of cover to the enemy I could. This unit has several different roles it can fill.

Early tank popping - This might not work (Ork shooting what it is and all) but the possibility is worth the 80 points that the unit costs, and the threat of it leads into next role.

Fire magnet - Sitting in cover, this unit is somewhat durable (hooray cover saves). It could take two or more enemy shooting units to dig it out, and that's fewer units shooting at your actual assault troops.

Early disruption - This unit can run out of cover and assault a Dev. Squad or something else you don't want shooting. Being small they probably won't tie the unit up long, but one less round of shooting is a good deal.

I'm trying to work out the proper unit size for these guys. On the one hand, I'm planning on using them as a throw-away unit so I want them cheap. However, I would also like them to be able to survive a bit of shooting or last into the second round of an assault.

What are everyone's thoughts on these guys?

General Project Log Things I Paint
    Seeing Red A Khador Log
    Stuck Between Stations My Blog

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Hmm...

Although I haven't used kommandos yet, I'm not too impressed, at least not when compared to the warbuggy, which I find superior for many reasons.

The warbuggy has a twin linked rocket, which is roughly the equivalent of two rockets (it just doesn't hit twice if both rolls succeed).

The warbuggy can't infiltrate, but it can move 12in a round and still fire. If memory serves, you have to be 18in outside enemy sight in order to infiltrate, so the increased movement seems comparable, at least in terms of how close they can get to the enemy.

The warbuggy can pop tanks and serves as a fantastic distraction, and it only cost 35 points, compared to the infiltrators 80 point cost or so.

Now, unlike the warbuggy, infiltrators can assault units, to tie them up in close combat. If the board is set up in a way that you can put them out of sight, and closer to the enemy, this can possibly work well, but it's still a risk, especially if you pay for the nob and klaw upgrade.

Also, unlike the warbuggy, infiltrators can take the special character, and deploy directly into your enemy's zone. With two rockets, you can shoot and assault a nearby enemy, but you can't have a klaw if you use the character, so they most likely won't pop armor, but they'd still be very good at taking out snipers, mortar teams, and similar infantry.

So they have their place, but to me they seem expensive, especially when compared to warbuggies, which are cheap, fast and effective. Of course, I don't use kommandos, so other people may have different strategies that work better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x2)

My main use of Kommandos will come in City Fight matches. With the amount of area terrain there it will be fairly easy to infiltrate and not be within LoS of the enemy and thus get within 12". Between Waaagh and Move through Cover, you can cover ground to the enemy fairly quickly. However, the important part is their role and I do not think they should be used as Anti-Armour, the Orks have other units that can do it better. My use of them would be for tying up the long range shooty units of the enemy and the only Tanks I would look at sending them after would be Barrage tanks that can hide safetly behind cover and fire.

But like I said, I think Kommandos are best suited for City Fight games, though I have yet to utilize them yet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyclops View Post
    My main use of Kommandos will come in City Fight matches. With the amount of area terrain there it will be fairly easy to infiltrate and not be within LoS of the enemy and thus get within 12". Between Waaagh and Move through Cover, you can cover ground to the enemy fairly quickly. However, the important part is their role and I do not think they should be used as Anti-Armour, the Orks have other units that can do it better. My use of them would be for tying up the long range shooty units of the enemy and the only Tanks I would look at sending them after would be Barrage tanks that can hide safetly behind cover and fire.

But like I said, I think Kommandos are best suited for City Fight games, though I have yet to utilize them yet.
    Yes, that sums things up nicely. They'd certainly be more useful in cityfight games. I don't play many of those games myself, as my local store tends to only use those rules for the team apocalypse games.

I wholeheartedly agree that they aren't meant to be anti-armor. They're designed to hunt down those sneaky sniper types, that try to hide the entire game. I imagine they'd kill artillery/heavy weapon teams pretty effectively as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like to use Kommandos as a tank-hunter unit. I agree that Warbuggies, Dethkoptas, and yes, even Tankbustas are better suited to the role.

I like to give my Kommandos Burnas, make their squad size 10-15, and use them as a preliminary close-combat unit. If used carefully they won't necessarily be a sacrificial unit, and they can disrupt the enemies plans pretty well. I especially like using Snikgrot for the flanking abilities he gives.

Using lots of Kommandos and infiltrating them close to the enemy is tempting as well - anything that gets Orks stuck in more quickly is good, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Oooooo...burnas

Quote Originally Posted by craftman2 View Post
    I don't like to use Kommandos as a tank-hunter unit. I agree that Warbuggies, Dethkoptas, and yes, even Tankbustas are better suited to the role.

I like to give my Kommandos Burnas, make their squad size 10-15, and use them as a preliminary close-combat unit. If used carefully they won't necessarily be a sacrificial unit, and they can disrupt the enemies plans pretty well. I especially like using Snikgrot for the flanking abilities he gives.

Using lots of Kommandos and infiltrating them close to the enemy is tempting as well - anything that gets Orks stuck in more quickly is good, in my opinion.
    Yes, burnas on Kommandos sounds like a good idea. I had issues with getting burna boyz close to the enemy without being destroyed, and Kommandos seem like a good compromise.

Honestly, I tend to think of everything in the ork army as sacrificial, or at least expendable. Some of my favorite matches were ones where barely anything survived on either side. As a result, I tend not to spend too many points on any single unit.

Still, the best way to keep them alive, I'd think, is to not have them strike until it's certain that backup could come and help them, if they needed it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best use of the Kommandos that I have seen is using them on a escalation game when the reserve rules are in effect. The Kommandos are infiltrated as close to the opponent's table edge as possible and when it is time for them to move they move up to the edge and spread out with the 2 inche gap between them to hog up as much of the edge as possible. I witness atleast half of a nid army being destroyed because the models couldn't be placed on the table edges with the Kommando there when reserves were brought in. A roughly 100 pts unit took out close to roughly 800 pts of nids. Impressive tactic that I have employed into my army.
    Where the heck did all them guardsmen come from?

Great Wolf! Is that the howl of the 13th?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Word of warning

Quote Originally Posted by mackdawg View Post
    The best use of the Kommandos that I have seen is using them on a escalation game when the reserve rules are in effect. The Kommandos are infiltrated as close to the opponent's table edge as possible and when it is time for them to move they move up to the edge and spread out with the 2 inche gap between them to hog up as much of the edge as possible. I witness atleast half of a nid army being destroyed because the models couldn't be placed on the table edges with the Kommando there when reserves were brought in. A roughly 100 pts unit took out close to roughly 800 pts of nids. Impressive tactic that I have employed into my army.
    Depending on the people you play with, this can easily result in a massive, if not 'ridiculous' amount of real physical violence.

Ever have a metal hive tyrant slammed across your head? It ain't pretty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    Depending on the people you play with, this can easily result in a massive, if not 'ridiculous' amount of real physical violence.

Ever have a metal hive tyrant slammed across your head? It ain't pretty.
    Why? That was a brillant tactic and it didn't not break any rules what so ever. The Ork guy won the game by efficiently using the Kommandos to do the most damage as possible. Isn't that the goal of the game....to maximize the damage a unit can do? If somebody got that upset to resort to physically or verbal violence after I did that to that person then my suggestion to that person would be to chill out, it's a game or find another hobby.
    Where the heck did all them guardsmen come from?

Great Wolf! Is that the howl of the 13th?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Resulting in beatdowns

Quote Originally Posted by mackdawg View Post
    Why? That was a brillant tactic and it didn't not break any rules what so ever. The Ork guy won the game by efficiently using the Kommandos to do the most damage as possible. Isn't that the goal of the game....to maximize the damage a unit can do? If somebody got that upset to resort to physically or verbal violence after I did that to that person then my suggestion to that person would be to chill out, it's a game or find another hobby.
    Hey, I'm not arguing the legitimacy of it, all I'm saying is that certain players I know would probably smack you over the head with area 3 terrain for doing it.

Seriously though, it is indeed a perfectly legitimate tactic, but it's also exploiting the rules in an unrealistic, and slightly unfair way. Just like Chaos ability 'lash'. ;Y

Hey, if it were me, I'd just grumble under my breath and accept it. If you were playing against my friend Vinny, the authorities would probably get involved at some point. That's all I'm saying. ^_^

+ Reply to Thread