Raven - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raven

I am new to this forum so if I am posting this in the wrong place, could sombody point me in the right direction. So I just got a raven model...now what the hell do I do with it? I briefly looked at the rules in the IA book, but like an idiot I didn't write it down. Does anyone know how to use one of these things?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Indosilver13 View Post
    I am new to this forum so if I am posting this in the wrong place, could sombody point me in the right direction. So I just got a raven model...now what the hell do I do with it? I briefly looked at the rules in the IA book, but like an idiot I didn't write it down. Does anyone know how to use one of these things?
    Well, this topic was discussed in this post. I hope it's helpful.

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ven-rules.html
    Help the kin TAKE your soul, I mean, take your soul...
    I play Vassal. I'm in V40K Open Ladder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw these at the MD Battle Bunker, they arent that bad, bigger then what I thought they were since they resemble an oversized Reaver. They do get the "Interceptor" rule which is great for going after other fliers, other then that I wasnt too impressed.

For 75 bucks a model (at 205 points) I will hold off till I finish an Apoc size DE army then maybe...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Eire View Post
    Just saw these at the MD Battle Bunker, they arent that bad, bigger then what I thought they were since they resemble an oversized Reaver. They do get the "Interceptor" rule which is great for going after other fliers, other then that I wasnt too impressed.

For 75 bucks a model (at 205 points) I will hold off till I finish an Apoc size DE army then maybe...

Yeah, its 205 points for a lot of money but they are really difficult to kill in my experience. They are 12" farther away then normal (due to being way up in the air) for the purpose of being shot at, unless the weapon is an AA weapon or pintle mounted it requires a 6 to hit them, ordinance or other weapons that scatter can't hit it, and they always benefit from the skimmers moving fast rule (and they aren't open topped). So unless your opponent built their army to take down aircraft they aren't likely to be able to shoot it down (especially since a squad of 10 marines firing 10 bolter shots at it needs a 6 to hit, a 6 to glance, and then a 5+ to destroy it, and they can't rapid fire at it either).

Oh yeah, and the thing can be taken in non-apoc battles as a heavy support choice (it says so in the entry).
    /WHAO/TH-/HEL/DAO/KWRAO/TH*EUPBG/KWR-/PH-/STPH
    /TP-/KWRAO/K-/RAOED/THEUS/THEPB/WAOE/SH-D/KHAT/SPHAOEUPL

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Toloran View Post
    Yeah, its 205 points for a lot of money but they are really difficult to kill in my experience. They are 12" farther away then normal (due to being way up in the air) for the purpose of being shot at, unless the weapon is an AA weapon or pintle mounted it requires a 6 to hit them, ordinance or other weapons that scatter can't hit it, and they always benefit from the skimmers moving fast rule (and they aren't open topped). So unless your opponent built their army to take down aircraft they aren't likely to be able to shoot it down (especially since a squad of 10 marines firing 10 bolter shots at it needs a 6 to hit, a 6 to glance, and then a 5+ to destroy it, and they can't rapid fire at it either).

Oh yeah, and the thing can be taken in non-apoc battles as a heavy support choice (it says so in the entry).
    That might be true, but you also have to consider that both raven and razorwing are very lightly equipped and probably wont pay for their points unless you get really lucky with armor pen rolls. So in a sense, there isn't really a point to aim a lot of weapon towards it since it probably wont prove to be too dangerous to deal with.They are definitely not worth the trouble or the money, but fluff perhaps?

I really want to see these two redone, maybe give them some sort of CC ability against other fighters where they could use the blades on their wings to slash the hulls of enemy aircraft as they pass each other by.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

" Oh yeah, and the thing can be taken in non-apoc battles as a heavy support choice (it says so in the entry)."

Ohhh I didnt see that, although it would have to be player permission since its IA but that would be really fun.

Hmm I do have a 150$ gift card I need to use... Although if I was doing an IA list I would probably do Elysians, 'Nids (Anphelion project selections), or Death Korps.

Decisions, decisions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitley Fluff

It is funny you say that Eire, because I just bought it from the MD Battle Bunker. And yeah, I didn't even know it could be used in a non-Apoc battle; I mainly just bought it as fluff. I was itching for a new DE model and the guy at the bunker sprung this on me. What can I say, I am a sucker for this sort of thing. It is actually quite a nice model and it is pretty big at that. It has a 7-8 inch wingspan. The firepower isn't amazing, but it would be fun to run a couple skirmishes with it. And again to Eire, whatever you decide to with you money is up to you, but I would recommend this model. It pretty darn cool and rather unique.
    Last edited by Indosilver13; January 23rd, 2008 at 21:43.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Hi,
    How would you use a Raven in a non- apocalypse battle?

There are no rules for flyers in 40K so is there some other battle system like Battle Fleet Gothic or Epic that would accept them?

And I agree with WraithGuardian, the Raven is a non-event and I could think of much more effective units for my money.

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

boo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

currently lying next to me is the old imperial armour II (the really thin one with the vampire raider and fighta bomma on the cover) and it has the raven rules and the 40k flyer rules in it, pretty sure you can still order it off of forge world fine

as for tactics, i occasianly used a fighta bomma in my speed freaks and it worked good as a fire magnet and for taking down units hiding away at the back with morters etc, or just unloading at the back of tanks,

the raven is even better at this due to dark lance and splinter cannon, and of course double the BS

although in the IA book there is a small tactics paragraphs which is sumerised thus:

the threat of a raven or two will make the oppent consider taking some anti-aircraft meaning less points killing our raiders
    it also has a dark lance which is harder to kill than the ones on our 'explodes from a pistol' transports

and from personal experiance with my fightabomma, people are unreasonably scared of flyers, so even if it does nothing but get shot at, it's worth it, as they didn't make my trukks/raiders go pop
    Last edited by boo; January 24th, 2008 at 03:02.

Grots/SoB/CSP/AWN/DE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info

I agree, in any form of battle short of apoc, it seems out of place and not very effective. I still stand by the modelling and fluff value though. I already have about 3000 points worth of DE and I haven't been able to do anything new with my army for quite some time. I was so desperate I even started a 2nd and 3rd army. The input definitley helps though, I wouldn't have wanted to throw this thing into a fight only to find it completely useless. Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast