20 Boys Or 30? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 20 Boys Or 30?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x1)

20 Boys Or 30?

I played a game against necrons, 2000 points, me total footslog army. I had three units of 30 boys and was thinking of dropping them to 20 boys and have four squads.

I'm thinking this would allow me to have more power klaws, divide up into two groups if I need to, have more scoring units, etc.

The drawbacks are making it easier for the squad to get cut down to take leadership tests as well as a greater chance to become a non-scoring unit.

I would be using a Big Mek with a KFF to protect them as they move.

Any thoughts?

Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks!

Generic Minis - My Blog

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its realy a matter of circumstance, smaller units are more offencive because they can hit more targets, more nobs, more manuverable ..... so on. Larger units are more defencive because they dont take much leadership at all, once a single boy is in combat the entire squad is safe from shooting. So against necrons you would probly have wanted squads of 20 mabey even less, but against say guard your going to want squads of 30.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Tricky

Quote Originally Posted by warmonkey View Post
    I played a game against necrons, 2000 points, me total footslog army. I had three units of 30 boys and was thinking of dropping them to 20 boys and have four squads.

I'm thinking this would allow me to have more power klaws, divide up into two groups if I need to, have more scoring units, etc.

The drawbacks are making it easier for the squad to get cut down to take leadership tests as well as a greater chance to become a non-scoring unit.

I would be using a Big Mek with a KFF to protect them as they move.

Any thoughts?

Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks!
    First, I wouldn't use the forcefield. With the ork army, fielding more troops is always more effective than trying to make the troops more durable. I think the army would benefit more from a shokk attack gun, providing ordnance fire to help deal with armor, and cover their charge. Also, mad doc grotznik can give an entire mob 'feel no pain', which is the best way to ensure they survive, although it does make them unpredictable, as they will always move towards and assault the nearest enemy, so the choice is yours.

I'm going to be frank here. I don't like 20 man mobz. This being said, 30 man mobz can be overkill, but if you're going to go as low as 20, I'd drop it all the way down to 12, and put them in a trukk.

Trukks are incredibly useful and versatile, not only for rushing into CC, but also for counter-assaulting, when the enemy manages to assault one of your large footslogging mobz first. 12in movement, combined with 2in disembark and 6in assault (plus a possible d6 waugghhhh) is nothing to be sneezed at. A 20-30 man mob moves 6in, and if they aren't in assault range, that's it.

Also, a skilled player will learn to strike both sides of your 20-30 man mob simultaneously, to limit the effectiveness of their numbers. Even if you have 30 guys in combat, if the enemy has a higher initiative, and wipes out all the boyz within combat range, then you'll get no attacks on them, your boyz move in, and then they simply repeat the process every round.

The secret to avoiding this, is to run trukks. Looted wagons are dangerous, and better used for your specialty units that don't have the option of using a trukk. Battlewagons will last, but they're probably too expensive to be used to transport normal boyz.

Despite all that, you should run at least one or two units of footsloggers, to put pressure on the enemy, and to counteract opponents who WANT to get into close combat with you. Running a trukkload of boyz into a unit of genestealers is not a good idea. To me, the large mobz of boyz are just as much for shooting, as they are for CC. For this reason, I use shoota boyz in the big mobz.

The large mobz are also good for overwhelming other CC opponents with sheer numbers, although if you don't get the assault, this usually winds up costing you the unit of boyz too (but if the opponent was a pair of demon princes and a unit of chaos terminators, like in one of my previous games, then who cares? ^_^)

One last factor: getting boyz into actual CC. No matter how many boyz you put in a mob, only 12 or so will probably get into close combat, because of space and movement limitations, and at least two of them will most likely die before they get their attacks, depending on the army you're facing. Don't worry, 36 normal attacks and 5 powerklaw attacks are enough to ruin anyone's day (avg 5 MEQ dead, by my count, assuming no invulnerable saves). The extra boyz are really there just to give the unit survivability.

So where's the cutoff point? At 11 boyz you have to make saves, which is usually a sign of the end (although bosspoles help with this). Since this is the true 'point of no return' for most ork mobz, I like that to be the point of 'below 50%', making my normal minimum mob size 23 orks. I usually field 25-27 though, and if I'm attaching the mad doc, it's nothing less than 30.

This is just my personal experience. 20 man mobz may work for you, but you'll be surprised how quickly they'll die to shooting. If you want them to be more versatile, drop them to 12 and put them in a trukk, with a pk nob of course.

If you have about 90 boyz, instead of doing 3 units of 30, or 4 of 20, do this:

11 trukk slugga boyz + nob

28 slugga/shoota boyz + nob

28 slugga/shoota boyz + nob

In any case, good luck!

+ Reply to Thread