Vibro Cannon Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vibro Cannon Question

So this came up in a game last weekend and I was looking for a second opinion.

Situation: unit of 3 vibro cannons took hits reducing the number of guardians to 1 and the number of cannons to 2. Now the next turn i fired and a unit of infantry was caught in the line. Now the eldar codex says the strength is 4 plus "for each vibro cannon in the battery after the first, add 1 to the strength of these hits." it doesn't say for each vibro cannon fired.

So does this mean the hits are resolved at strength 5, for 2 cannons in the battery or only 4 because only 1 was fired. The codex seems to say that it doesn't require that number to be fired, just to exist in the battery to have that strength, but my friend disagrees.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

clearly it is str 4, suggesting str 5 becuase there are 2 cannons there even though one fired is a ridiculess attempt at power gaming
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch

ok ok, jeez i wasn't trying to powergame I just read the rules and thought it was a bit odd that they went out of their way to word it so differently. I don't mind it being at strength 4 and i think that is how we resolved it for the time anyway.

I have a new question though, now my friend thinks that I need LOS with the vibro cannons even though it says in the description that you don't need to pick a target, you just pick a direction and draw a 36inch line. Please verify that I don't need LOS.

Also, if the line of effect was drawn through an assault would those people be hit, is this a legal tactic? cause i know shooting into an assault is usually not allowed, but this seems to bypass that as it doesn't pick a target.

I don't want to be accused of powergaming or cheating next time I play so please gimme some feedback

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

You are right, you dont pick los, you pick a poitn on the table edge (hence a direction - obviously the chap manning the gun isnt doing so on a big table in some giants dining room or shop

the line it shoots down determines who is hit. Arguably you can therefore do it through a combat.

That is RAW (Rules as Written) - although it prevents you targetting or placing templates so it hits combat, you are doing neither, BUT, adherents to the RAW school sail close to the wind in terms of power gaming, doing that would raise a ruccus and your opponent may well not accept it, which means you are into "dice offs" and again risk being accused of power gaming, rules lawyering etc etc
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're line of sight thing is correct. The eldar FAQ erata confirms it.

As for the 2 cannons. I'm pretty sure that you need at least one guardian for each vibro cannon to fire. So if you have 1 guardian, you can only fire one cannon meaning only a strength 4 hit (Don't you remove the cannon once the entire crew has been killed?). However, if you had 2 guardians to fire both you would have a str 5 hit, even if only one rolled at hit. The example given at the end of the vibro cannon description clearly states that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Listen to me or not, but technicallly (some refer to it as 'tournamentally') you fire only the number of crewed ones (so you only once roll to hit with ridicolous BS of 3 of Guardian) and then consider strengh per every cannon without Guardians concerned.

When you're playing at home (and usually treat many non-logical rules diffirently than they would work due to rules) and want to change it, no problem, I'd do so myself. But it is always good to know that unless FAQ support (and as I am aware nothing spicifies it further, so the PG version remains) or rules changes made by an organiser, you roll to hit once and shoot with Strengh of 5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x0)

Pg. 55 under "Artillery - The Unit" once the gunmen for a respective artillery piece are dead, the gun is removed. So while technically, by the wording in the dex you don't have to actually fire the second cannon, if it's crew are all dead the gun is already gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I was talking about, but I was too lazy to go find the rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a question to about the vibro cannons, since you dont pick a target and just hit anything in a stright line does that mean you can hoot straight into combat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes it can, its answered in the eldar faq. You can even hit your own units.....

my favorite thing when im in a tourny and using vibro cannons is to keep likes of fire open for them, and if i do hit combat, i only hit enemy models so i cant get touched. remember only one model has to get hit in order for the squad to take wounds.

+ Reply to Thread