necrons pros and cons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

necrons pros and cons

post what u guys think are the goods and bads of the Neron's, especially
    the major ones.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowvilan127 View Post
    post what u guys think are the goods and bads of the Neron's, especially
    the major ones.
    This is probably available in an earlier thread if you do a search, but I'll list a few.

Cons:
    1. Expense. You won't have the most models on the board, that's for sure, although most basic troops have enough upgrades to get them near the cost of warriors, and Chaos' troop options are more expensive. Even with Chaos, however, the BRUTAL HQ and character options pale in point costs to a well-equipped Lord and certainly the C'tan. I wouldn't say the costs are unfair, however.
    2. A certain inflexibility. No upgrades except the Disruption Field for anyone except the Lord, which means that only the Lord can be configured in a different way, and even then his cost approaches 200 points in a hurry. No Sergeant options or power weapon upgrades to help in close combat.
    3. Close Combat. The Necrons last a long time and have some excellent hth options (Wraiths, Scarab Swarms in large numbers), but they tend to go away in assault. See above.
    4. Phase out. They'd be unfair without this rule, but you're usually planning your army and tactics around 75% of your Necrons. Tends to be limiting late in games!

Pros:
    1. We'll be Back. High toughness, high armor save, and returning from the dead. They'll cover for your mistakes quite well if you're a beginner.
    2. Some of the best single units in the game. The Destroyer Lord kitted for close combat is hard to kill and the warscythe denies all saves. He can go toe-to-toe with a lot of enemy HQs and is fast, to boot. The C'tan are too expensive to use much, but nothing in the game can match them in single combat, barring force weapons. The Monolith is the best tank in the game if you can figure out how to use it. Basically, you could argue that Scarabs are the best swarms in the game, Warriors the toughest basic troops, the C'tan the best independents, the Monolith the best tank, and Destroyers the best fast attack. See Con #1 for the cost of these units.
    3. Did I mention Destroyers? They're basically jetbikes with high toughness and an assault cannon (sort of), and they aren't too expensive for what they can do. My opponents HATE them.
    4. Gauss. Every unit with a Gauss weapon can kill a tank, and even Scarabs with disruption fields have a decent shot. Tanks go down, even when your opponent goes Mech.
    5. Mobility. This one is arguable because the basic mobility of the Warriors is not good. Add in Destroyers, a DLord, Scarabs, the Monolith teleportation, and the Veil, and you can get units where they need to be, however, so I call this a bonus. The only drawback is a lack of transports.
    6. Leadership. I manage to fail at least one unmodified 10 save every game, but that really shouldn't happen. They aren't fearless, but barring that they shouldn't run as much as other armies you face.
    7.Painting. I chose Necrons in large part so that I could learn to paint. I went with the standard metallics, but they look great and can be mass produced with a lot of dry brushing. I'm ready now to handle something more complicated, but I don't think I would have done well with, say, Eldar or Marines as a first choice.
    8. Fluff. Some great mysteries surrounding the C'tan, and who doesn't like a relentless horde of Terminators (the movies, not the models) laying down a withering wall of molecule-flaying green stuff? Not much personality, though, and they don't get campaign experience and that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

I think the biggest con to necrons is what units count to phase out, it makes people shun certain units because they don't count as "necrons" (I find this extremely racist myself) I'd LOVE to field a squad of pariahs and a monolith at the same time, but that little voice in my head yells at me about dumping points into units that don't count towards PO (not saying that the monolith should count as a necron, that would be silly.) Phase out is tough enough as is on an army with high points cost units, without it limiting what units people will actually take as much as it does.

Also low initiative, makes CC tough without counter-assault squad backup or excellent unit managment. But I'm not playing 40K to hit things with chainswords.

Pros?
    1. Great army flavor, who can argue with having an army of 12 foot tall undead robots with disintegration rifles, that regenerate?
    2.Balance, Necrons are great at being fast, or tough, or shooty, if you try hard they can be an absurdly strong CC army as well (personally I like the "fast and shooty" aspects, being tough is nice too)

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Alzer View Post
    it makes people shun certain units because they don't count as "necrons" (I find this extremely racist myself)
    I'm having a hard time determining if that's a joke or not, heh.. Are you seriously comparing the "Necron" rule and how it applies to army composition in a *GAME* to racism?

Anyway, many of the things that have been said are correct. There's really not that many con's to a Necron army.

They don't assault well, but Necrons have the ultimate answer to that: Teleport out of assault via a Monolith or a Veil of Darkness. And a C'Tan can singlehandedly beat most of the elite assault units out there easily. Deceiver is the way to go with one, too, not a Nightbringer.

The units don't have much flexibility, but you can take different units depending on what you'd like to do. Destroyers for mobility, Immortals for relentless marching firepower, Scarabs for a big swarming horde of bugs, etc.

Phase Out isn't even that big of a deal. I've played almost 30 games with my crons so far and only once did I come close to phase out. Just be careful and don't spread out too much to allow a squad to get wiped out without proximity WBB. Of course, that's going to be much more difficult with Lash of Submission Chaos..

Lash of Submission is really the only big pain that Necrons will face. Placement of units is more important in a Necron army than any other, so abilities that move your units become a real problem. Especially since Necrons have no counter to psychic abilities.

They do have lots of Pro's, though.
    - Mobility: It's amazing how mobile even the 6" moving infantry can be.
    - Firepower: With the proper units, the army can put out an amazing amount of firepower that nothing can shake off - Gauss kills everything from grots to Land Raiders and even enemy Monoliths.
    - Resiliency: I once played a necron player with a squad of 20 warriors. I killed all but one, cause he happened to be out of the kill zone in assault.... 18 of 19 stood back up after WBB's and the Monolith teleportation. Combined with good toughness and a 3+ save, they are tough units.
    - Deceiver: One of the best HQ choices in the game. Allows for redeployment after even scouts have moved, can force morale / pinning checks, and the best yet: Misdirect. A deceiver can be amazingly fast as soon as he touches combat.

There's a lot more, in addition to what Weaf already pointed out.. Very strong army, just beware of things that move your units (Lash) and things that attack your leadership (such as Psychic Scream).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

324 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by moob View Post
    I'm having a hard time determining if that's a joke or not, heh.. Are you seriously comparing the "Necron" rule and how it applies to army composition in a *GAME* to racism?
    It was a joke, though there's a certain truth behind it (Pariahs, being made from humans aren't "real" necrons, so they don't count as such) think about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Alzer View Post
    It was a joke, though there's a certain truth behind it (Pariahs, being made from humans aren't "real" necrons, so they don't count as such) think about it.
    Well, it is their namesake.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. February 7th, 2008, 15:39