Fast Attack Slots - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fast Attack Slots

Ok so i have read countless forums and tactica but I stick with my guns and say that necrons best slot is definatly fast attack.
    Wraiths can start a meatgrinder on almost any troop choice and when often paired with a destoyer lord with warscythe is a threat to any army. They are fast , attack first in almost any combat, and their invuln. is almost unfair.
    Scarabs are the unnapreciated workhorse of any necron army. They kill almost nothing. Yet their tactica and ability to tie up units is such a huge factor in any game. They are not appreciated until you finally use them.
    And finally my favorite fast attack (mabe in all of 40k) the destroyer. Fast, powerful, good toughness, fairly large squad size for there power.
    Question becomes how do you use your slots??? I have convinced myself the best is two large units of destroyers and one squad of 3 wraiths. Love scarabs but cant waste that much power for a fodder unit not matter how good.
    What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

I agree, though I've done well with scarabs in the past, (wiped out an entire IG tank line with them once) I'd rather use wraiths. And of course the two destroyer squads. So far I haven't gotten my wraiths into combat I don't believe (my Tau friend focused fire on them like the plague for obvious reasons) And destroyers are just too useful, I agree they're one of the best units in the game of 40K.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fast Attack Slot - Wraiths

I take 3 squads of 3 wraiths with a destroyer lord and res orb.

I support this with 2 x squads of Immortals and of course 2 x squads of Warriors.

The wraiths I try to keep together so they support each other and don't get bogged down in combat with troops that generally will out number them.

Against a tank company the wraiths and destroyer lord are awesome.

The immortals provide fire power and allow me to advance with Warriors supporting.

Regards

Ian

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Well, as I only have 3 Destroyers and 3 Wraiths, i tend to take one of each once i hit high enough points.
    Id love to have more, but i rarely use my crons now and the army was finished a while ago, and there are no plans for me to go back yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on who I'm playing, I usually use 2 squads of destroyers and 1 squad of scarabs. Scarabs are teh thing against elite close combat armies such as black templars. I love it when my friends 10 man strong assault squad with a chaplain is slowed down for couple of turns and lets me fire with a bit more freedom during that. Wraith's are nice but they only have 1 wound and are not much sturdier than a normal marine in close combat against massed strikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to take two units of three Destroyers and keep them near each other for WBB support. Basically, I use them as if they were a single squad of 6, but only one unit can be targeted at a time. With their high toughness, they'll usually get a WBB roll that way. Plus, when I inevitably fail a leadership test (I'm the master of the 11 roll), I still have some on the board. My opponents like to target them, but they absorb a lot of fire this way. Of course, two squads of 5 would be even better, but would cost too much to take a monolith and an extra unit of troops in reserve.

I also prefer the Wraiths and Destroyer Lord combo. My opponents have realized that they die to massed infantry fire just as easily as regular Warriors, but they can usually turbo boost for cover on round one, so they're hard to catch. I've had mixed results with Scarabs because they're hard to totally hide in large numbers on turn one and take an inevitable ordnance hit. Why speed bump a unit when the Wraiths can kill it? Coupled with the DLord, the Wraiths can take on anything. The best part of all is their high initiative. 12 high strength attacks on the charge, going first, is just awesome.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Destroyers are basically the best FA choice in the game.

High speed, high firepower, high toughness, necrons and moderate points cost.

If I need to use soem FA slots destroyers are always my first port of call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to stick with 20 scarabs. I like wraiths, but they are too pricey and frail for my tastes.
    I really dislike the destroyer models and so I haven't used them yet. I see how everyone likes and tells wonderful stories about them, I just can't get past the models and $ cost per model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orky/necron View Post
    I tend to stick with 20 scarabs. I like wraiths, but they are too pricey and frail for my tastes.
    I really dislike the destroyer models and so I haven't used them yet. I see how everyone likes and tells wonderful stories about them, I just can't get past the models and $ cost per model.
    I agree about the wraiths. They are frail, but cool. I run 3 and haven't had the best luck with them. I'm looking to run 6. that might help. Might.
    Then again I play marines and bugs a ton, either they're attacks are saved or I'm swarmed by a sea of gribblies.

I love my scarabs, especially with d-fileds. I love facing any armor that has a weapon skill with these little guys. I have been lucky with scarabs so i'I'll always use at least 10 of them.

I haven't adopted the destroyers are the best ever like everyone else has. I will probably save some $ up and get 5 to add to the list occasionally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by orky/necron View Post
    Well if you have more spare time then $$ maybe try building your own custom destroyers the way you think they should look, I don't entirely mind the flying sled/beetle look but I agree it's a little strange. If you did whip up some custom destroyers I'd love too seem them as well.

And it WOULD be nice if they didn't cost so much, buying 6 of them mad my wallet sad, even if it was over time. (not as bad as immortals though *shudder*)

And now that I think about it I don' really know why I decided to disown my scarabs, they're delightfully effective, cheap and darn fast. Suppose I just think wraiths are so amazing looking I couldn't get rid of them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. February 8th, 2008, 16:34