Dealing with Troop Transports - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Dealing with Troop Transports

I was just having a discussion in LOchat when i came up with this idea, may or may not be original, but still:

Imagine a rhino rush or likewise, some army that will come at you fast in armour, disembark, and wipe the floor with your poor combat inable Crons.
    My idea was this. After their 1st turn, when no doubt they will have moved their vehicles straight at you, use your next turn to Turbo Boost a Scarab unit (up to 3 units if you have them) and surround the enemy vehicles. Now, with 3-9 Heavy destroyers, begin shooting at the tanks. Just 1 Penetrating hit forces the enemy to disembark, and as they are surrounded by scarabs, they die! Instantly! If the Vehicle is damaged too, its a bonus

Thoughts?

Last edited by Phoenix; February 8th, 2008 at 16:32.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deceiver View Post
    I was just having a discussion in LOchat when i came up with this idea, may or may not be original, but still:

Imagine a rhino rush or likewise, some army that will come at you fast in armour, disembark, and wipe the floor with your poor combat inable Crons.
    My idea was this. After their 1st turn, when no doubt they will have moved their vehicles straight at you, use your next turn to Turbo Boost a Scarab unit (up to 3 units if you have them) and surround the enemy vehicles. Now, with 3-9 Heavy destroyers, begin shooting at the tanks. Just 1 Penetrating hit forces the enemy to disembark, and as they are surrounded by scarabs, they die! Instantly! If the Vehicle is damaged too, its a bonus

Thoughts?
    I have tried this and failed to hit or pen. So, I can see it working, I just couldn't make the rolls. I continue to try, but my friends are wise to this and see it coming. My heavy destroyers are usaully priority for them, next to my 20 scarabs.

The idea of a transport full of troops that can't disembark when the vehicle is destroyed is a delight!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    284 (x5)

well will probably try it tomorow or the day after that I will let you know how it turns out depends if he wants to put his Imperial list or SM list against me but both have armour so mighst just use my Dfield scarabs and normale destroyers. imortent thing is to keep turbo boosting your scarabs so hey are protected by their 3+ inv save. this also counts for your (H) Destroyers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

As i said in the other thread jay, the scarabs will only get a 5+ Inv Sv, not 3+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    284 (x5)

Yeah sorry my bad you are absolutly right i miss read my BBB but still having any save is better then none at all
    Last edited by forumjayz; February 11th, 2008 at 12:11.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

There is a major flaw in this strategy - the FoC.

With only 3 FA slots you'll only be able to stop a single transport a turn - HD's help but they aren't suitable for transport busting (where the average AV is 11) - normal destroyers would be the better choice.

The only possible exception I can see is if it was black templars doing their land raider rush - in which case HD's are the proper choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

284 (x5)

well it depends on getting a penetrating hit which forces the troops out and the swarms are put in 2 groups of 5 so you can take out nice command squads

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. February 8th, 2008, 20:15