Orky HQ configurations - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orky HQ configurations

'Ello ladz

I thought I'd post a few Ork leaders for you to grade. I've used all of them and they've done good job for now. I hope you too would post your own HQ choices, I'd like to see what other people are using

Bigtoof

Warboss 95 points
    Big Choppa
    Attack squig
    Cybork body
    'Eavy armor

A close combat monster I'd say, on the charge, bashes some 'oomie skullz with 7, Strength 8 attacks at a nice initiative. Sure a nice addition when fighting some space marines. Once he stopped a Dreadnought, backed up by his boyz

Know-wot

Big Mek 83 points
    Power Klaw
    Cybork body
    'Eavy armor
    Kustom Mega-Blasta
    Ammo runt

Relatively cheap, big boss, likes to blast his foes with a newly bought kustom weapon. Usually I'll keep him behind everything and when, for example, rhinos attack, I'll put him running towards it and bang it up into the skies. Plus, he can back my boyz in close combat with his Klaw. A nice and cheap boss, but not for smaller games where he can't hide and where he draws fire quite a lot.

These are the two HQ choices I've used the most, now, I'd like to see your comments and HQ configurations. Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Looks good, the warboss only has 6 attacks however, I'm pretty sure you dont get 2 CC weapon bonus with a 2 handed weapon.

There is a lot of contention here with 'eavy armour and cybork, most insist that if you take cybork then the 5 points for 'eavy is wasted. Especially with the IC rules as they are.

Personally I take two of the following

Big Mek 105 points
    Shokk attack gun
    Cybork

I just sit them back and watch the carnage. Am working towards a Boss-on-bike for apocolypse which may find his way into regular play if he fits my plans. And another warboss for the green tide.

Anyone think that a mega armoured warboss would be ok in the tide? Since your one big squad you will likely be in terrain most often anyway, and you do waaagh every turn after all.
    W/D/L Ork Tide 22/1/14

Click here to feed me some squigs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now I'm planning on using a Warboss with Mega-Armor and a Meganob retinue i na Trukk. While slow of foot, the Trukk would greatly assist in getting to the fight quicker. I plan on using my Warboss and his retinue as a reserve force. Once my Boyz are mixing it up, they will come in with the trukk and help out.

I'm also using a Big Mek with a KFF and Burna Boy retinue. WHile not exactly combat effective, a full sqaud of Burna Boyzs with three meks and a big mek should be able to keep a kan wall up and running with enough the KFF and repair rolls. Once the kans are in combat, then I can either burn up the enemy if I was facing some gaunts, IG, or toehr light troops. Or I cna charge and take out some MEQ's with a sqaud full of power weapons.
    "Dear Diary: Today I may of accidentally registered myself as a sex offender. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY LIFE!" - Dinosaur Comics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Warboss on Bikes for non Apoc games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by farmergiles65 View Post
    What about Warboss on Bikes for non Apoc games?
    Biker-Bosses are absolutely sick, especially when given a biker retinue. The new bikes are pretty sick and sturdy themselves. A PK biker boss teamed with a PK biker nob can lay down some serious pwnage.

As for myself, I'm only currently running 1 Big Mek w/ SAG. Just the gun, nothing else.

Tell me what you think of this. I have a friend who wants to go footslogg horde and he's thinking about a "Mega-Retinue", consisting of:

Grazkull
    Mad Dok Grotsnik
    10x Meganobs (who will be given cybork because of the Mad Dok)

The cons:
    1. SLOOOOOW....
    2. 800+ in points.
    3. PK's mean they all attack last in CC.

The pros:
    1. Grazkulls "Prophet of the Waaagh" might balance the slowness. Might...
    2. Fearless. (Mad Dok)
    3. Feel No Pain. (Mad Dok)
    4. Cybork all around. (Mad Dok)
    5. 12 highly survivable multi-wound PK's

Obviously, these shenanigans will not work out too well against a highly mobile, shooty opponent. But against a CC heavy foe...
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

The idea is alright in my opinion, I would be tempted to drop 2 meganobs and put the points towards a battlewagon, just so they can get an extra turn or two of (relatively) speedy movement and when they bail out use the special waaagh to make sure they have good chances of getting to CC. After all its pretty unlikely any will take a wound on an wagon explosion with all the save goodness.
    W/D/L Ork Tide 22/1/14

Click here to feed me some squigs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by NovaJohn View Post
    The idea is alright in my opinion, I would be tempted to drop 2 meganobs and put the points towards a battlewagon, just so they can get an extra turn or two of (relatively) speedy movement and when they bail out use the special waaagh to make sure they have good chances of getting to CC. After all its pretty unlikely any will take a wound on an wagon explosion with all the save goodness.

The only problem with a BW is that if it wrecks after moving, the unit inside is Entangled automatically, fearless or not.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run two meks. I have one to follow my walkers with burna, force field, heavy armor and a few oilers.
    I have with the same load out that I throw in a battle wagon and keep with a big unit of 'ard boyz.
    Sure they don't hit as hard as a warboss, but they keep my vehichles/walkers going.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Pk

Never take a big choppa, ever. There, I said it. Only take powerklaws. No matter what the bonuses are, power weapons always trump non-power weapons. Denying them a normal armor save is what makes MEQS beatable. Trust me, I regularly watch teams of MEQs get hit by 5-10 wounds and come out without losing a single guy. Five powerklaw attacks, on the other hand, almost always kills at least two guys.

Be careful with point heavy bike teams. I had a game over the weekend where I had a full team of warbikes, along with a pk nob with a bosspole, all with 5 point cybork bodies (thanks to Mad Doc) get assaulted by a unit of ripper swarms. The swarms didn't really do any damage to the bikes, but the bikes didn't have enough attacks to quickly wipe out the rippers, and they wound up being tied up the rest of the game. Again, the bikes didn't take much damage and the rippers were certainly dying, but bikes are vulnerable to being tied up in CC, thanks to their relatively low numbers.

I don't know if you can take both a SAG and a powerklaw, and even if you could, why would you? The advantage of the Big Mek is that they're an independent character and they're relatively cheap, even with a retinue. To get any advantage from the powerklaw, you'd have to put them in a large retinue of boyz, which you wouldn't be able to move if you wanted to use the gun, and that counteracts the cheapness, the effectiveness of the boyz, and also has the potential of blowing the retinue sky high on double 1's.

I don't see anything in the rules that says you can't take a cybork body and 'eavy armor. I think this is similar to the whole 'shoota powerklaw' argument, where some players use outdated terms and systems for interpreting the rules. Just like with the new Dungeons and Dragons, the game is becoming more streamlined and simplified. Thoughts like 'what order do you choose upgrades' simply don't have a place in the game anymore. If it says you can take any of the following upgrades, you can take them all, unless it specifically says you can't. Unusual interpretations of rules are virtually always proven wrong these days. The rules are as they seem to be, and as long as it doesn't say you can't do something, then you can.
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; February 12th, 2008 at 16:07. Reason: forgot one thing
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Though I don't play Orks myself I've seen one particular unit work really well. While I don't remember the particulars on the unit, I remember enough for you guys to get the gist of it.

Warboss
    - Power Klaw
    - Slugga
    - Attack Squig
    - Eavy Armor

6 Nobz
    - 2 with power klaws
    - 4 with sluggas and choppas
    - Banner of the Waaagh!
    - Painboy (or whoever gives the unit Feel No Pain

Trukk
    - Big shoota
    - Red paint
    Pts: A lot.

I know it's expensive and I'm sure I messed something up but I saw this unit easily chew through a 20 man Crusader Squad that was accompanied by a Chaplain. With the bonus for Furious Charge and the WS boost from the Banner this unit had absolutely no problem eating anything it came across alive.

Hopefully one of you guys will find it helpful.

Katie D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast