Ork Units - An Overview - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ork Units - An Overview

Trying to design a decent and fun Ork army without going nuts is extremely difficult I'm finding. So many different kinds of units, some of which can perform functions that others can do as well. So what I propose is that we need feedback and tactica on the different types of units in the new codex and peoples opinions and tactics for using them.

We got several elites, bikes, buggies, trucks, koptas, wagons, dreads, kans, the list goes on and its hard to tell which are worth it.

So for the 500 / 1000 / 1500 ranges, what units are worth it? How do people use them for tactical advantage?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Excellent idea, i'd even suggest a Pinnnig of a formal tactica if possible. If different people chose a unit and did an overview it could get done really fast. There are some excellent tactica's for examples over in the fantasy area. I'm a large fan of the set up for the beastman one actually. You might want to contact the Ork forum moderator to suggest the idea, and get the topic pinned. I can write an entry for Killa Kans and have it posted probably by tomorrow pending work today.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just contacted a moderator - "Rabbit" i think he was, i basically picked the first name on the list on the previous page! Hopefully this might kick off coz I'd certainly find it useful. Under advice from another thread I'm going to kick start with a battleforce and either a warboss or Big Mek with Attack Gun, but eventually I need to try more models particularly the speed freak stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by farmergiles65 View Post
    Just contacted a moderator - "Rabbit" i think he was, i basically picked the first name on the list on the previous page! Hopefully this might kick off coz I'd certainly find it useful. Under advice from another thread I'm going to kick start with a battleforce and either a warboss or Big Mek with Attack Gun, but eventually I need to try more models particularly the speed freak stuff.

The new Battleforce is Speed Freak stuff. You get 20 boyz, 2 nobs, 3 bikers and a trukk.

I highly recommend that if you can get the Battleforce at discount like I did, get a few of them. I started with 4 at $68 each. The place I got them from now has them for $72. PM me if you wanna know where...
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for offer but I live in the UK so postage would be high and Customs would have a field day. So far moderator support for the Ork Tactica idea is positive so what I'll do is design a thread (and mail it to David VC as well) explaining the idea and showing the different headings. Then the mods can make it sticky and people can submit their own tactica ideas in the different headings. So feel free to start writing ideas for when it appears. Obviously I can't coz i ain't started playing them yet but in the future even I can contribute.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Troops

Every ork battle, regardless of points, is won or lost with the boyz. Every other ork unit exists to either enhance the effectiveness of the boyz, or to counter-act special enemy units that the boyz would have difficulty with. In a way, the ork army is the closest to simulating a realistic World War 2 army, where each type of unit balances and supports every other type.

SLUGGA/SHOOTA BOYZ

I always try to spend at least half of the points in my army on boyz, and would only spend less in large Apocalypse games. The type of boyz you use, and how you transport them, will determine what type of army you're using.

Slugga boyz are the masters of close combat, but only when they get the assault. If the enemy assaults them, they won't be able to outperform your average team of assault MEQs. The best way ensure the assault is with a transport, and with a base cost of 35 points, Trukks are your best choice. On foot, they'll have trouble moving, won't be able to shoot effectively, and due to space constraints, won't be able to get more than 12-14 men into CC the first turn in any case, making the costly 10-18 extra boyz nothing more than extra wounds.

Shoota boyz, on the other hand, do wonderfully in large footslogging mobz, as they get two STR 4, AP5, ASSAULT shots every turn, potentially with a few extra rokkits and/or big shootas thrown in. Even if they can't get into CC, they'll still be an effective front for the non-mechanized portion of your army. In transports, on the other hand, slugga boyz make more sense, as you want to keep trukks out of line of sight, as described below.

In either case, every team of boyz should always include a nob, with a powerklaw. Nobz are better described in length later, but in short, they enable your team to kill anything, even the largest monstrous creatures and toughest tanks.

Trukks

Even with 10/10/10 armor, trukks are dirt cheap at 35 points, rarely cause injury to their passengers (even after exploding), and never cause entanglement. For 5 points, you can give the trukk a red paint job, which will increase their movement by 1in. Fast and open-topped, trukks are the perfect way to deliver your troops into battle. I also prefer to start the game with troops already in trukks, to give the rest of my army room to deploy, and enable the coveted first turn assault.

There are plenty of other upgrades available, but will make your trukk more expensive, without significantly increasing its resilience. It is possible, depending on the type of army you play, for a ram or a boarding plank to make sense, but trukks are designed to be expendable, and in my experience, are just as effective without any extra bonuses.

Trukks aren't only meant for rushing into your enemy territory, however, and also work very well at counter-assault, especially against other CC focused armies. Holding a single trukk back behind cover is a very effective strategy, especially in higher point games. Eventually, one of your units is going to be assaulted by the enemy, and be in a tight spot. That's when you rush your trukk out from behind cover, deploy the boyz near the enemy unit, and then literally ambush the ambush. This is especially effective in team games, where your non-CC teammates will be thankful when you swoop in on a trukk and save the day. On foot, without transport, this is simply not possible. Trust the trukk.

ARMY BREAKDOWN

There are many styles of play, but this is how I use boyz in my armies:

500 points: 1 unit of 20+ boyz on foot (with a PK Nob upgrade); 1 unit of 12 in a trukk (with a PK Nob upgrade)

1000 points: 1 unit of 22+ on foot, with rokkits and PK Nob; 2-3 units in trukks (as above)

1500 points: 1 unit of 24+ on foot, with rokkits and PK Nob; 3-4 units in trukks (as above)

2000 points: 1-2 units of 22+ on foot, w/ rokkits and PK Nob; 4-5 units in trukks (as above)

Trust in the boyz. Trust in the trukk. Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

I haven't played with my newly acquired ork army but I thought about this and I want to know what you think of it :

20 'ard slugga Boyz including 2 rokkit and a Power Klaw nob inside a Battlewaggon with a deff rolla' (nothing else). What do you say ? Good or bad ?

You can move a full armoured boyz squad accross the terrain, unload them and have them charge. they can cover 12" + 6" assault move on first turn. When unloaded, the battlewaggon cease to be a target until he role over some squad or vehicle with the deff rolla'.
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Hmm...

It's certainly not a bad idea, and can definitely prove devastating, especially to lightly armored vehicles and exposed infantry, but I'd add three things to make it perfect:

1. Add at least a single gun onto the battlewagon. I'm fairly sure a deff-rolla is a vehicle accessory, not a weapon, so if your opponent gets a glancing or penetrating hit on it, and the result is 'weapon destroyed', you won't have a weapon to lose, and it will immediately upgrade to an 'immobilized' result. Even if I'm wrong, the deff-rolla won't do you any good if you're immobilized (I've been in that position), so a gun or two will give you more options.

2. Give the battlewagon grott riggers. Even if it doesn't get moving again until late in the game, you'll get full points if it can move. Also, if it does work early, it can get you back into the fight again. I wouldn't use them on vulnerable vehicles, such as a looted wagon, buggy or trukk, but on a battlewagon it's worth it.

3. Give the boyz a bosspole. I know it may be a little overcautious, but if your battlewagon explodes, and you take casualties, you may drop below 12 guys faster than you think. A bosspole helps ensure they'll make it into CC.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread